GPMG in a Ferret

Catch 22 LBDR

Hi guys, I have chosen to fit my Ferret mk2,s turret with a GPMP gun mount. But I dont know witch one to fit, there are 3 options open to me.

1. A deactivated gun. (not sure what mk/model it should be)

2. A replica. (not sure if the but can be removed and if it will fit)

3. An Airsoft version. (same prob as the replica)

Has anyone tried to fit any of these into there ferret and if so any advice?

At War and Peace last year there was a seller selling all metal GPMG's which looked rather good and if I had enough money I would have ordered two off him on the spot (good deal as well). I picked up a leaflet planning to contact him later but I have lost the leaflet!! With a bit of luck someone will know who the dealer is.

A deac will be over £1000 if not over £2000! So unless you have just won the lottery not really an option, not really an option if you have won the lottery either.

Hi Andy, Yea Gpmg's are an extortionate price, and the Airsoft version is around a grand too. But what ever I get it has to fit into the gun mount.

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=60433&cat=57

The GPMG that fits the Ferret mount doesn't have the butt.

GPMG at Otterburn?

Edited by ferrettkitt

The GPMG that fits the Ferret mount doesn't have the butt.

GPMG at Otterburn?

The butt on the real Gpmg is detachable so you could fit it in vehicles, at least the ones we had were, you could fit them into the cupola of the Spartan, or in its ground role.

If I knew it all I wouldn't be on hear:Dlol.

If I go down the road of a de-ach gun, they went through several mod's, so a late GPMG might not fit an early gun mount.

I really need to find some one who has done this before:readbook:. And someone who has fitted either the Airsoft or replica one's too.

Found this on another thread; http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?18851-Northern-Ireland-Ferrets&highlight=ferret+gpmg

I was under the impression that all ferrets were converted to GPMG, is this not the case?

Should I be looking for a .303 instead?

I also found out that if I did fit a GPMG that it should be a NO.6 MK.1, I think the current gun is a NO.7 MK.2

Edited by Catch 22 LBDR

It's not easy to read your Ferret's Vehicle History Card but sometimes a change of Asset Code can indicate that it was fitted with a GPMG.

It seems that GPMGs were fitted from the early 90s and so the vast majority of Ferrets were fitted with .30 Browning MGs. I'd go for a Browning - quite easy to find a deact (although they're becoming quite expensive now!), and there is a company in Colchester who make superb wooden copies - with a NOS canvas cover on the end of the barrel, you wouldn't know it wasn't a real gun!

The Gpmg used in a ferret is an L37 if fitted in the rotating Turret. (No Butt & short Buffer housing)

A MKI Or MKI/2 fitted with the extrernal mounts will take the standard L7A2 Infantry Ground role variant.

Any problems or queeries, PM me.

Pm sent, but for the rest of us following this thread, what's a 'short butterfly housing'?:-D

I remember fitting our GPMG's with the anti-aircraft barrel, I think the only difference was the flash eliminator, it was cone shaped if memory serves.

The asset code was (A 03 0130 4231) then it was changed to (A 03 0135 4000). Does that help any?

It might actually, but we may need Clive Elliott's expertise (again!) to know for sure

Asset Code 0130 4231 = 'Scout Car Recce, .30in MG, Ferret Mk 2/3 (VHF)' - fitted with .30 Browning

Asset Code 0135 4000 is not shown on the list I have, but interestingly 0135 4235, 4245 & 4255 are shown as being fitted with 7.62 GPMG, so perhaps your Ferret was too!! Previous Asset Codes ending in 4000 are all fitted with Clansman.

I had a Relics GPMG on my 432 and it was superb but that repro barrel looks a very good alternative!

Edited by Peter4456
Spelling!

Pm sent, but for the rest of us following this thread, what's a 'short butterfly housing'?:-D

I remember fitting our GPMG's with the anti-aircraft barrel, I think the only difference was the flash eliminator, it was cone shaped if memory serves.

BUFFER HOUSING: Is the Unit that replaces the Butt assembly on a 'Normal' LMG class GPMG.

It is also used when the Gun is mounted on the L4A1 Buffered Tripod in the sustained fire role.

Carried in the C2 Sight case when not in use in the infantry role.

When fitted to AFV Mounted variants, the buffer housing is used on the follwing:

L37, L48, L43, L8A1, Ect.

http://www.track-kickers.com/inventory.php This company are making this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59528[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59529[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59530[/ATTACH]

TOTALY WRONG shape Flash hider for the variant you need Im afraid.

It SHOULD have a 'Cone' Shaped version for the L37, which was what was utilised in the Ferret & Fox.

Edited by ferretfixer
  • Like 1

TOTALY WRONG shape Flash hider for the variant you need Im afraid.

It SHOULD have a 'Cone' Shaped version for the L37, which was what was utilised in the Ferret & Fox.

Please explain what the 'cone' version looks like I have a picture on my phone of a GPMG barrel

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59556[/ATTACH]

Picked the wrong photo below can't delete it even though I thought I had

MOD Edit.. Sorted!!

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo deleted

TOTALY WRONG shape Flash hider for the variant you need Im afraid.It SHOULD have a 'Cone' Shaped version for the L37, which was what was utilised in the Ferret & Fox.
Hi Chaps,As i recall when we did our ferrets, the mount was obviously changed but i recall the barrel was as per the armoured vehicle types i.e the muzzle was fitted with a tubular flash hider, the barrel was also not fitted with a carry handle, but a flat formed lock lever device. ( i noted this as i had not seen one before, barrel not GPMG ) The spare barrel we had was as standard for the ground roll (just in case) and the rear of the gun as stated had a buffer unit with the butt being retained in the vehicle. First fit was not good as it fell to bits for some reason when first used and was rapidly converted for ground use (exercise only and not in any dire curcumstances i hasten to add)I would also be a bit surprised to find that the differing marks would have problems fitting the various mounts as you really do not want to be mucking around to that extent with weapon systems. Any mark of bren gun for instance you will find that the mounting point dimensions are the same regardless of MK 1,2,3 ETC. I would expect MK differences to be along the lines of various ancillairies to the gun itself, ie ground or vehicle role, dovetail/no dovetail, major or minor manufacturing points etc. Regards Tim

is this any help? Pic Courtesy of daimler ferret facebook group.

Yes, this is the Correct shape of flash hider that you need. Note, NO foresite Block, which is CORRECT for a turret mounted/Internaly Mounted GPMG Variant.

Notice also, that the gas regulator know is a different shape to the Ground role (LMG) variant. it is ALSO fitted with a Buffer Housing, rather than a Butt assembly used in the ground role. As I Mentioned previously.