Ian L

2 x AEC Matador Gun Tractors

A member from our North Oxfordshire & Cotswolds MVT club has taken on the massive task of restoring not 1 but 2 AEC Matador lorries.

The first one is a 1945 Matador Gun Tractor complete with original rear body but converted to a snowplough/gritter, salt and time have taken their toll.

The second one is a 1942 Gun Tractor which missing its rear body and converted to a civilian recovery vehicle.

Both vehicles were found in Aberdeen and transported back to Oxfordshire last year.

006.jpg

007.jpg

With the body removed and sheeted up outside for later the cab/chassis is shoe horned into 'Scotts' engineering workshop (note the ceiling removed to gain assess)

The rear chasis is shot blasted and primed one section at a time due to limited space.

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Boys can never have enough toys, found this in 'Scotts' workshop reception room.

018.jpg

Excellent, like others I'm really looking forward to seeing this thread develop. You don't happen to have the reg numbers of these do you by any chance?

Scott

Good luck with the project, and remember boys and girls can never have enough toys! :-D Looking forward to seeing more pics as work progresses

Good luck with the project, and remember boys and girls can never have enough toys! :-D Looking forward to seeing more pics as work progresses

Nicely said :)

Excellent, like others I'm really looking forward to seeing this thread develop. You don't happen to have the reg numbers of these do you by any chance?

Scott

dont at moment will let you know if i find anything out.scott

dont at moment will let you know if i find anything out.scott

Ok thanks. If you do that would be great as I like to keep track of Matador's that are still around.

Scott

I have posted some photos of the 2 aec's that you are restoring in my album AEC on my profile page. I am really looking forward to seeing them come back to life again. Keep up the good work.

:-) Lynn

Edited by Lynn menard

Popped over to Scotts workshop today to checkout any progress, spot the cracked rear spring ? this would probably of been missed had he not had it shotblasted.

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

Got a few external shots of the cab just before its dismantled.

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Matador on the right is the one that is being restored.

Scots matador.jpg

Hiya,

Just wondered how the restoration was going. Any more pics yet.

Lynn:-)

Hi Lynn,I will endeavour to get some more pics on,works been tough the last 6 months but I have most of the back end painted and ready to assemble,the back of the cab is back on and I am currently making a new floor prior to doing the wood round the drivers door,so progress but slow.hope you are well,all the best scott.

• :-)

Popped round to Scotts workshop today to checkout the progress, the rear Ash frame is finished now with a mixture of new & old timber.

The front Ash frame is 50% renewed & reskinned with new lazer cut panel work.

012.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

The front wheel arch & associated metal work were all coroded away due to the vehicles previous life as a snowplough/gritter so Scott beat a new curved arch in 2mm sheet steel cutting & welding in the original places

006.JPG

007.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG