Best War Film Ever

stevenivers

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 o'clock High made in 1949 it's dated by modern standards but has some cracking memorable lines in the dialogue

Pete

Ah Yes Pete, '12 O'clock High' . For me the sequence on the runway of the old airfield and the sound of engine start-up!! Oh Boy it tugs the heart strings and takes me to deserted airfields all over the country - the ghosts are there, I've felt them and spoken to them. I have one of the Highwayman Toby Jugs - one of 100 made specially for the film in a place of honour where I see it every day.:nut::nut:

Ah Yes Pete, '12 O'clock High' . For me the sequence on the runway of the old airfield and the sound of engine start-up!! Oh Boy it tugs the heart strings and takes me to deserted airfields all over the country - the ghosts are there, I've felt them and spoken to them. I have one of the Highwayman Toby Jugs - one of 100 made specially for the film in a place of honour where I see it every day.:nut::nut:

The question occurs Bill.......... do you turn his face to the wall every time you are on a mission ;)

Pete 'Give it to me with the bark on'

• 2 months later...
Ice Cold in Alex. When you have John Mills, Harry Andrews, Anthony Quayle, Joan Sims, an Austin K2 and a Humber Heavy Utility, it is possible to forgive the dodgy German vehicles in the desert and the S1 Land Rover at the end. :-D

Ooer matron! Its Sylvia Syms - Joan Sims was in the carry on films. Agree about the film though. Mills performance as a man on the edge is outstanding. As an aside she (Sylvia) has appeared in many more recent films including Absolute Beginners !!

I think the thing about those early war films, vehicles aside is that the war was still very contemporary so they couldn't ham it up in the way they do today..

The thing about the 1950's 60' war films, if you watch the details and drill they are all correct. Hardly suprising since a lot of actors and extras actually served. The Classic for this is the 'Man Who Never Was' in which Ewan Montagu plays an Air Chief Marshall who tells himself that the plan is ridiculous and won't work. Though parts are pure fiction Montagu was happy with the film. Probably because it helped muddy the waters Montagu worked hard to keep some details secret.

Ooer matron! Its Sylvia Syms - Joan Sims was in the carry on films. Agree about the film though. Mills performance as a man on the edge is outstanding. As an aside she (Sylvia) has appeared in many more recent films including Absolute Beginners !!

I think the thing about those early war films, vehicles aside is that the war was still very contemporary so they couldn't ham it up in the way they do today..

Sylvia Syms; how did I get that wrong after a whole afternoon of sifting through Ice Cold in Alex trivia? :red::red::red:

Mind you, that set me thinking: How might the film have turned out if it had starred Joan Sims, with Kenneth Williams as Captain Anson, Sid James in place of Harry Andrews and Bernard Bresslaw as Van der Poele?

I'll get my coat.....

carry on up the qattara!!!

Love it! I am writing the script in my head already:

Kenneth Williams as Capt. Anson: "You can't possibly come with us"

Bernard Bresslaw as Van der Poele: "I've got 3 bottles of gin"

Kenneth Williams as Capt. Anson: "Oooh, I don't mind if I do!"

Edited by mtskull

• 2 years later...

They were not divided. About a guards armoured regiment going through Normandy and Belgium. Made in 1950, lots of Shermans and many of the actors had served. A great and very authentic insight with none of the cheese seen in modern films. Highly recommended.

Certainly not the best film but certainly worth a watch, 'The Beast' made in 1988 centres on a Soviet T55 during the Soviet-Afghan War that becomes separated from its unit following an attack on a village habouring Mujahideen fighters. A band of the Mujahideen set of in pursuit of the tank seeking revenge.

(The tanks used are actually T55s captured by the Israelis and modified to Ti67 configuration)

Another interesting film, this one from 2009. 'Lebanon : The Soldier's Journey'

Set during the 1982 Lebanon War, virtually the whole film is viewed from inside an Israeli tank (a Centurion) and you only see what the crew can of what's going on outside of the tank.

The film is based on the directors, Samuel Maoz, own experiences as an Israeli conscript during the '82 war.

Was busy compiling this (at work :))whilst the post above appeared!

Edited by rubbatiti

They were not divided. About a guards armoured regiment going through Normandy and Belgium. Made in 1950, lots of Shermans and many of the actors had served. A great and very authentic insight with none of the cheese seen in modern films. Highly recommended.

I saw this for the first time this week ,what a great film , there was original footage slotted in but the film sequences were superb in one scene they rolled a Sherman all sorts of soft skin vehicles as well as plenty of Sherman's.

A very underrated film .

Another fascinating film 'Tali Ihantala 1944 '

From 2007, the film's about the battle of the same name during the Finnish-Soviet Continuation War of 1941-44. Well worth a viewing!

Apparently, so I've read, some of the StuG IIIs used in the film were actual veterans of the battle itself.