Best War Film Ever

stevenivers

rule 303!

very interesting history behind that guy. Many believe he was a bastard son of some nobility that was well looked after and then was sent off to Australia to hide him after the secret got out.

Been calls to exonerate him at times as the court was rigged in many ways

Yep, I'm trying to get the book writen by the third officer involved (Don't want to spoil plot) Good battle scene.

The quote by the way 'We apply rule .303'

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost forgot Biggles adventures in time..

Its a good watch with an ok ish soundtrack.

The aircraft are not entirely accurate but I think its cool..

Heres a little taster if you have not seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INP3Wfxww7M

Skel..

Excellent - this film rocked! Don't forget the music video with Peter Cushing looking for the way out :)

Heres one a lot of you will not have heard of. An Australian film called Breaker Morant. Based on a the story of Bushveldt Carbiniers in the first South African War. stars Edward Woodward. I was lent it by a friend, absolutley brilliant!

Don't know if you know it but it was because of this incident that Australia refused to give the rites of Court Marshall to the British Army in WW1 and carried out their own court marshalls. Because of this, they didn't carry out the executions for battle fatigue that the British did.

Don't know if you know it but it was because of this incident that Australia refused to give the rites of Court Marshall to the British Army in WW1 and carried out their own court marshalls. Because of this, they didn't carry out the executions for battle fatigue that the British did.

No I didn't. Thanks for the info.

Agree about Full Metal Jacket, not biased, .. I worked on the film, my name is in the credits too !

What was your role?

Don't forget the movie, Stalingrad. Very impressive or should I say depressing...

Wow, that's nice!!! Was it fun to do?

Was it ! hard work though. long hours, but had its fun times like going racing round the 300 acre site with the M41 Walker bulldog tanks when filming had finished for the day, under the pretence of testing!!

Edited by Nick Johns

got to say that actually there are a lot of excellent war films but if I had to sit and watch a film over and over again and still be able to do so it is

the battle of britain...fantastic fim, and the final part where no german aricraft appear, and everyone is sitting doing nothing is just so poigniant (did I spell that right can never get it right) it is believable over and over again...

and those famous lines 'where are you simon,' pink floyd loved them too...

gosh makes me want to go watch it now...

• 1 month later...

Ice cold in Alex, Sea of Sand. Both great movies without all the hollywood overdramaticised BS.

Eagerly awaiting the new release of Dam Busters as we have seen the planes (shhh) and know who is really behind it all.

The Trench and Beneath Hill 60 are also favourites.

SPR and, even though it is not a movie, Band of Brothers has to be given due credit.

Would be great to see a modern realistic LRDG film.

• 1 year later...

How about 'Went the Day Well?' or 'The Boys from Company 'C' (US Vietnam), 'The sea shall not have them', 'The Way Ahead', 'The Cruel Sea', 'Angels One Five' 'Pork Chop Hill' (US Korea). I'll go along with the others to include 'The Longest Day', 'The Battle of Britain and 'The Dam Busters'........... Over and Out.

Well - having seen the WORST WAR MOVIE thread is still running I find chums crying over WARHORSE in here, too. LOL. What a winner. That Spielberg - he's clever. He appeals to us all one way or another.

Anyway - No doubt for me they fall into brackets - FULL METAL JACKET - Not least because it is a classic and I get to hear Nick's stories about extras falling down holes.... and Hue was in Beckton - right on the A13 which you can get your kicks on if you listen to Billy Bragg.

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE. ..from the novel - a classic, too. Great sequences and not overwhelmed by John Wayne.

Dunkirk. A masterpiece - filmed around Rye and Camber. My in-laws knew people who were in it as extras or had their property in it back in 1953 when it was made.

BATTLE OF BRITAIN -for all the reasons previously given. I saw it at the Dominion,Tottenham Court Road in 1969 and still have the souvenir programme.

THE LONGEST DAY - saw the re-run at the same cinema - and still have the souvenir programme.

THE DAMBUSTERS - never tire of it. It and DUNKIRK are my top British war films..but I also love The Cruel Sea and masses of others. Can't wait for the Peter Jackson remake, script by Stephen Fry. The bombers are all built. Cast aren't settled.... and that dog.

APPOINTMENT IN LONDON - The other British bomber movie. Classic.

KELLY'S HEROES. Why not? I have to keep the legend of Malcolm Dunlop alive.

BLACKHAWK DOWN - I have one of the AK47s from it.

I like too many, Went the Day Well, Angels One Five, Glory, Others mentioned on this thread. Too many....

If I had to pick a totally off the wall war scene though - I'd go back to Peter Jackson, and that would be the king's speech and the charge of the riders of Rohan in the 3rd lord of the rings thing- just that few minutes - just like the book I read aged 15. You can have the rest - not bothered. AND the opening sequence of GLADIATOR. I wanted more of the legions.

Edited by Snapper