Royal Enfield WD/L project.

Ron

I've repaired the damaged paint on my tank and fitted my spare RE mag. The faulty mag has gone for repair and will then become my spare.

I used my new electronic gizmo for the first time today. Quite handy to tell exactly when the points break, instead of the usual fag paper or 1 1/2 thou feeler. Ron

DSCF0855.jpg

DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0867.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the box of tricks help a lot, Ron ? Most of the accuracy of a fag paper is lost when tapping the pinion on / tightening it. I can imagine that a more accurate indication of points opening might make that even more frustrating :-)

It's exactly right what you say Rik. But it does make it easier for checking!  Instead of feeling for a fag paper to come loose whilst watching your piston gauge rise, you get an audible continual beep plus a red light as soon as the points break. 

I can only remember ever getting the pinion on in the right place once on one bike. Usually it takes 5-6 goes and on one bike I was up to about 20 goes and getting seriously pissed of that day.

Some guys say that it's not that critical on "these old clunkers" but I think the manufacturers gave these precise setting for a reason.

Would you believe that the timing for this WD/L is just 1/8" BTDC at full advance.......I even double checked that figure with Jan.

Ron  

If I remember correctly, a lot of the tin ware for manufacturers such as Norton, Enfield and Ariel came from the same Birmingham sheet steel manufacturer and they changed the design to suit the application. Chain Cases and Triangular tool boxes being prime examples.

R.T. Shelley had Talboys (of Talflow air filter fame) in-house and according to Peter Roydhouse (who rode works Norton triallers in the 1940s and '50s), They made the mudguards and tinware for Norton. Perhaps they contracted out to other manufacturers as well. The Aston Brook / Bracebridge Street area of Birmingham included so many famous names from the industry as neighbours.  Who amongst us has not confused Ariel and Enfield tool boxes at an autojumble ? 🙂

Well on this subject, Norton also knew someone at the Austin factory! The propshaft used on the Big 4 is from an Austin Big7 and I'm sure that the bucket seat in the sidecar is an Austin part.......Sports car? 

Something like this?  Ron

LAT-Motor-Sport-Neg-Austin-7-Seven-2-str-spec-ws.jpg

Edited by Ron

Nothing changes, I replaced the foam seat base on my Range Rover recently and under the seat I had Volvo electric seat modules, Jaguar Branded (JLR) fittings, FoMoCo (Ford) electrics and BMW electrical connectors. At some point in Land Rovers history, pretty much all these other brand names have had an owner influence.