Norton 16h Clutch

thedawnpatrol

My clutch is not working !

Even before i stripped it down, for no reason, after working ok, it suddenly stopped, leaver pulls, cable pulls arm and that moves, but will not dissengauge clutch?

Having stripped it down for rebuild, i had to take the outter plate off, undid the 3 sprung bolts, and carfully removed the whole unit as one, the small plunger, came out, and when i was ready to put it all back, i did. i did not seperate the clutch plates.

the exploded drawing in the manual is poor, it does not even show the plunger.

any clues to look for ?

Cheers for any help

Jules (motorcycle newbie)

It's a bit trial and error with the 16H clutch, but it is pretty simple all-told.......I haven't a 16H manual handy, but I am pretty certain there's a plunger, push-rod and ball-bearing in the operating mechanism.....and adjustment is achieved via the clutch cable and the external actuating arm on the gearbox cover........

When adjusted properly, the 16H clutch is a very light, sweet thing......I can operate mine with a single finger ! When I rebuilt the unit, I used modern bonded fibre linings instead of the cork.....they wear better and are more resistant to oil, although are a little thicker and heavier, so you may have to leave out one fibre and one steel plate...? The plates also fit a number of post-war Norton models, and can be sourced from many Norton dealers who don't deal in 16H parts........

Check the workshop manual thoroughly, plus the text as well as the illustrations......it is also a good idea to get hold of a copy of the small Norton books by Pitmans and Pearsons......FULL of useful info ! You can always find 'em at autojumbles and Fleabay.......:-D