WW2 20cwt Water trailer/bowser restoration

Ian L

Ian,

They are original.

Below is a photo of one of these bowsers at the Piano Del Orme musuem nr Anzio....with the oval trays.

What were they for?

I'm not sure, but could be to catch the clay filtrate from the filters when they are cleaned (as they needed to be on a regular basis):

IMG_1164 (Medium).JPG

Ian,

They are original.

Below is a photo of one of these bowsers at the Piano Del Orme musuem nr Anzio....with the oval trays.

What were they for?

I'm not sure, but could be to catch the clay filtrate from the filters when they are cleaned (as they needed to be on a regular basis):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59660[/ATTACH]

The wheels on Niels trailer & this photo appear smaller ? and the wheel archs look different ?

Well done ian, those taps in the last photos are exactly the same as used on Great War Tank Water Carts !

look forward to hearing the second one is saved once you have made a good one out of the two it will look excellent behind your truck !

congrats

Nige

Hi Nige any idea where I might get some of those taps and the plumbing ? we might be able to do a deal with a pump ? cheers Ian

Ian,

I see what you mean about the wheel diameter, but don't know why they are different.

The dataplate on the bowser in Italy is this, and a front view:

IMG_1162 (Medium).JPG

The photo beoow is a 180 gallon bowser at Deelen Museum in Netherlands, difficult to see clearly, but think it has smaller wheels and can just make out the "fluted" mudguard....and another shot of the pump:

IMG_1747 (Medium).JPG

If your other bowser stil lhas both pumps, I know one is earmarked for Nige, but I'd be interested in the other.

Thanks

IMG_1163 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1748 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

A chap in Ireland has two ! new ones at 18 euros each ! we are looking into having some made, i have a gallon of etching primer you can make use of after you have polished up the tank being "Galv" paint wont stay on like ours and your two tanks this stuff makes sure it does, comes from the War Paint company £40 a gallon ill sort you out best i can, the plumbing is i should think 1"ID galv barrel available everywhere i can get it all threaded for you for free ,leave it with me as im pushing for ours i have a plumbing contractor onside who thinks all this "old" stuff is wonderful ! it seems you have most bits you need minus the filters but we do have techinical drawings thanks to our friend ! So happy days

Nige

A chap in Ireland has two ! new ones at 18 euros each ! we are looking into having some made, i have a gallon of etching primer you can make use of after you have polished up the tank being "Galv" paint wont stay on like ours and your two tanks this stuff makes sure it does, comes from the War Paint company £40 a gallon ill sort you out best i can, the plumbing is i should think 1"ID galv barrel available everywhere i can get it all threaded for you for free ,leave it with me as im pushing for ours i have a plumbing contractor onside who thinks all this "old" stuff is wonderful ! it seems you have most bits you need minus the filters but we do have techinical drawings thanks to our friend ! So happy days

Nige

Hi Nige what are 18 euros each ? the taps ? this is great news about the plumbing. fingers crossed that I get the second bowser. thanks Ian

Ian,

I see what you mean about the wheel diameter, but don't know why they are different.

The dataplate on the bowser in Italy is this, and a front view:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59662[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]59663[/ATTACH]

The photo beoow is a 180 gallon bowser at Deelen Museum in Netherlands, difficult to see clearly, but think it has smaller wheels and can just make out the "fluted" mudguard....and another shot of the pump:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59665[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]59664[/ATTACH]

If your other bowser stil lhas both pumps, I know one is earmarked for Nige, but I'd be interested in the other.

Thanks

If you look at the front chassis frame they are very different, the 'U' section is round the opposite way.

002.jpg

Ian,

This is the Differential Pump:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58616[/ATTACH]

..and this is one of the type of Filters used:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58615[/ATTACH]

Both from WO Code No 5460 Edition 1 1949.

Good luck.

Do you have any more detailed drawings of the taps & plumbing ?

Those taps are small hooked nose barrel taps made small so they fit inside water bottles and are only quater turn on/off i have one here that was on the watercart we just need to find a good number ! a friens has been chasing around trying to find enough or someone who can supply them !

At this rate we will be able to put a "water in war" event on somewhere ? as there are 4 types of cart/bowser on here plus what the army are using now Maybe a Water company-Army- Us event ?

Good catch Ian! congrats

yes

the wheels on yours are bigger and the wings are different.

I think the clue might be early vs. late and/or

British vs. Canadian. I have seen late 30's pictures which show

trailers with the large narrow wheels (16inch???), and also used by

BEF in 1940. Maybe later British trailers received the smaller 13inch

wheels and simplified fenders(?). The Canadian trailers were very

similar and initially were rated as 15cwt with fat 16inch wheels.

Later on they were upgraded to 20cwt trailer, which can be recognized

by narrow 20inch wheels in a design similar to US 1 ton Ben Hur

trailers.

Also check MLU for some interesting reading on the

subject:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9482

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1540&highlight=water

Alex

At this rate we will be able to put a "water in war" event on somewhere ? as there are 4 types of cart/bowser on here plus what the army are using now Maybe a Water company-Army- Us event ?

The way the drought is progressing in the south-east perhaps it should be a W&P in July and invite the Royal Logisitc Corps.....this is what they use now for transporting water!

IMG_4777 (Medium).JPG

(The slightly larger one behind by 100 gallon bowser...taken at RLC Corps Day 2009)

Do you have any more detailed drawings of the taps & plumbing ?

Those are the only relevant drawings I have; they are from the Identification List for the Lightweight 100 gallon bowser. I assume there would have been a similar publication for the 180 Gallon trailer as well, but I dont have a copy.

I have just found that the pumps were made by Barclay Kellett. A quick Goggle suggests they are still trading in Bradford, but have beee amalgamated into a company t/a Stanhope Barclay Kellett Crown.

• 1 month later...

The 2nd Bowser was saved today, the wheel was replaced with one from the 1st bowser and the drum had to be removed to free off a seized brake & bearing.

The stub axel is stamped V19 R T Ltd 1940 anybody know of this company and do they still exist ?and who made these bowsers ?

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

• 1 month later...

One of the Bowsers had a makers plate just hanging on by rust alone so removed it to safe storage.

Plate says that its a 15cwt trailer rather than a 20cwt but from all the investigation I have done I thought that the Canadian type with 16" CMP wheels were 15cwt and the early British ones with 11:00 wheels were 20cwt ??

003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In have one of these- current use as a bowser for towing behind a steam roller. The pumps, filters, etc. were missing when I bought it. It is similar to the one pictured earlier in the thread in the Piano Del Orme musuem, same type wheels and flat and fluted mudguards. The data plate is shown below. Made by D+P Ltd. Who were they?

data plate 003.jpg

In have one of these- current use as a bowser for towing behind a steam roller. The pumps, filters, etc. were missing when I bought it. It is similar to the one pictured earlier in the thread in the Piano Del Orme musuem, same type wheels and flat and fluted mudguards. The data plate is shown below. Made by D+P Ltd. Who were they?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63687[/ATTACH]

built by Dashwood ............ not sure but it might be & Partners Ltd

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63687[/ATTACH]

I assume the W.D. No Z5161814 is the regisation number which would of been painted on each side of the water tank ? thats the data plate which is missing on mine ? do you have any photos ? thanks Ian

The rear section of the chassis is much worst that I first thought and the photos dont realy show the extent of the corrosion so rather than waste time cutting out and welding patches in I have decided to have some sections made and weld in a new rear part.

001.jpg

002.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Edited by Ian L