WW1 side arms

Graham

I would like to buy an example of the 'typical' side arm used by British troops in the Somme (or similar). I am building up a small collection of weapons in common use such as a 1907 SMLE MkIII*, a 1907 Pattern bayonet, a Mills grenade No.23, a grenade launcher so a hand gun is next on my list. You were very helpful in suggesting a SMLE which seemed right from a reputable dealer, as it proved to be, so I turned to this learned forum again. I have seen Webley revolvers for sale but which is the Mk ? that was used between 1916 - 18? Any other suggestions of other makes would be very helpful.

Either a Webley Mk 4, these should have a 6 inch barrel and were private purchase. From 1913 Webley Mk 5 there may be a number of * after the number, basically a beucratic %%^** up. Or a Mk 6 . These are rated at .455 Caliber, the Webley man stopper round, although the calaibre is actually slightly diffrent at .441. Unlike WW2 I can't find any reference to US models being used. Officers could purchse theier own pistols provided they chambered the standard .455 round.

The Webley & Scott Self Loading pistol Mk1 were issued to Roayl Horse Artilley drivers and Royal Flying Corp. These had a diffrent round to the revolvers. at .456 inch

Be aware a lot of the Enfeilds sold as .455 are post war, often dated in the 1920's.

Edited by Tony B

Colt did make guns for UK. The Colt New Service M1917 in .455 were supplied to UK during 1915/16. It was also used in .45 along with Smith & Wesson by US forces, though the Colt M1911 .45 cal Auto was standard issue.

Edited by Tony B

And don't forget those really nice and rare Colt 1911s in .455 auto. I quite fancy a early 1920s Enfield made Mk6 or Pistol No.1 as they became. I used to have a really nice 1918 Webley MkVI with the pritchard bayonet and the flare pistol stock fitted (Not correct but it looked good)

Had an Enfeild dated 1923, sold it as it didn't really fit my kit. Though the De Ac showed a Webley with the number being correct. CHECK CAREFULLY! Can't see the .455 Mk6 cartridge working in a semi auto thoiugh. I'd suggest that was the Webley Self Loader cartridge, semi rimmed.

I don't think it was the Webley rimmed .455 but it could have been the auto .455

When it comes to Proof House certs, I don't think they give them the accuracy they deserve. I've got a Canadian Bren with a country of origin as USSR, a Enfield Bren with a cert stating Inglis and a 7.62 Bren stating its .303. I've also got a Lee Enfield Mk3 with the noted serial number having a 1 instead of a 7 ( Corrected by proof house) and my Enfield MkV cert has the serial number and then written in pencil next to it 'Serial number under wood work'.

The Auto .455 was actualy .456 semi rimmed round. It was also a much hotter load than the revolver round, and mixing the two could get exciting! :D (Graham, bet you wished you'd never asked. )

You CAN fire .45" ACP through a .455" barrel in a colt auto 1911. I know I have done it LOADS of times when I owned one when I was in Service.

This particular establishment had a LOT of non in service calibre ammo for the VAST collection of Smallarms held on Strength.

It was mentioned in a user handbook for the colt .455" that in an 'Emergency', this could be done......

Mine was an Emergency. I had an URGENT need to shoot it!.............;)

The TINY amount of expansion from firing a round of this size in a .455" barrel had practicaly no noticeable effect when shooting it!

doing this with ANOTHER calibre like attempting to fire 9mm in a 9mm Short for example is a TOTAL NO, NO!!!

I must STRESS that you must know EXACTLY what you are doing & be VERY knowledgable in Firearms terms to do ANYTHING which is not in 'The Book' so to speak!

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS FOR INTEREST READING ONLY. AND MUST NEVER BE ATTEMPTED BY ANYONE ELSE!

My grandfather self purchased and used a .38 Webley Fosbery in WW1. When fighting in both battles of the Somme it saved his life many a time. I had it deactivated years ago after Dunblane. He served from 1913 – 1921.

The Auto .455 was actualy .456 semi rimmed round. It was also a much hotter load than the revolver round, and mixing the two could get exciting! :D (Graham, bet you wished you'd never asked. )

I am always amazed by the depth of knowledge on this forum and the way it starts off other conversations. It does us old 'chaps' good, male or female, to be stirred up occasionally. Thanks everyone I have a much clearer about which Webley to buy now where diid I hid the kids inheritance....

My grandfather self purchased and used a .38 Webley Fosbery in WW1. When fighting in both battles of the Somme it saved his life many a time. I had it deactivated years ago after Dunblane. He served from 1913 – 1921.

The 'Automatic' Revlover? That 's an unusal pice. Are you sure it's .38 though? The rule was private purchase but must chamber .455. Although a number of private weapons were used. Mostly odd large calibre rifles such as .600 Nitro Express, to penetrate sniper shields.

The 'Automatic' Revlover? That 's an unusal pice. Are you sure it's .38 though? The rule was private purchase but must chamber .455. Although a number of private weapons were used. Mostly odd large calibre rifles such as .600 Nitro Express, to penetrate sniper shields.

Absolutely sure. It was made for him by purchase order on commission. I used to range fire it, as my father did before me. When serving in the RAF during WW2 my father carried it with him when flying. My grandfather told me that it was seven for the enemy and one for anyone who shot him in the arse.

A .38 Fosbury is really really rare, your example may be the only deactivated one in existence.

This is a quote from another Forum I frequent

The entire production of the Webley Fosbery Automatic Revolvers was less than 4500, of which only 417 .38 calibers were ever produced. 141 were dismantled prior to 1914 and the small parts used to produce .455 Fosberys. At least 72 more .38 caliber Automatics were factory converted to .455 calibers and retain original serial numbers leaving the total number of 38's unmodified by Webley at less than 160. Webley Scott Archives, armsresearch.co.uk

And a photo

http://www.cowanauctions.com/peek-in-warehouse/item.aspx?ItemId=108146