Now the work will start with 13BK33 FV1611A

After much excitement voiced by Clive.....Well a bit at least! I now have my PIG in a place that is more condusive with me getting on with the old girl, albeit not every night as not at Home Location.

I took quite a few photos of her yesterday in her current state. Not many in the back until I move some spares out etc.

The side and front lockers are SHOT, but I have a mixture of salvaged and NOS panels to allow them to be reproduced.

No doubts the images will stir up questions and responses and Hopefully like all blogs of restorations a lot will be shared and discussed so here we go for the first Chapter of Images.

Chapter One. External Images.

It is thought that this PIG was used in a film or TV series at some point. Hence the grey blue paint and shield decals on doors......Beneath these shields I have uncovered the wording ????? CONTROL,......Any Ideas anyone. Minder has been discounted, but Harry's Game is TBC?????

20120301_144007.jpg

20120301_143956.jpg

20120301_143944.jpg

20120301_143921.jpg

20120301_143913.jpg

20120301_143834.jpg

20120301_143746.jpg

20120301_134612.jpg

20120301_113121.jpg

20120301_111748.jpg

20120301_084948.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne nice to see it again. A good shot of the vertical armour clearly show this (as we already know of course) as ROF not Sankey. Nice to still have the electrical cages, the periscope holder (very rare), The Mk 1 switchboard rather than Mk 6, & early knurled cover for light in instrument cluster.

Wayne nice to see it again. A good shot of the vertical armour clearly show this (as we already know of course) as ROF not Sankey. Nice to still have the electrical cages, the periscope holder (very rare), The Mk 1 switchboard rather than Mk 6, & early knurled cover for light in instrument cluster.

Clive I manage to release and withdraw the commanders side glass panel screen and noticed that the wing-nut bolts/ retainers have seen better days are these available. I have an idea how to create if not bu using a bolt and some blacksmith work, involving hot metal, an anvil and a hammer.

Wayne that's a nice selection of pictures, one day you'll look back & think was it really as bad as that? Then when you collect your best Humber 1 Ton prize at W&P someone will say, well you were just lucky to have bought a nice one that didn't need much doing to it. MoP often think our vehicles are just bought at auction get a lick of paint then we drive them to a show!

I wouldn't worry about the intricacies fiddling around with the windows, automotive first, fancy bits second. Although I imagine you took them out so you can leave it visored down for security.

Your are very lucky that you have the underfloor lockers & they look intact enough to copy closely for replacements. I can understand the use of the large rear one but I have always been mystified by the small ones behind each of the front seats which are for the convenience of the crew. As they are hidden under floor panels they seem far from convenient. Most Pigs tend not to have these lockers, I must try see whether it is dependant contract or contractor. Yours as you know is ROF/W mine is ROF/N but doesn't have them (yet! as they will be useful for storage of emergency spares)

You have the later type brake adjusters, which I have in stock if you need any.

Your Tracta joint lubricators have been modified to the new location.

So once you've done a bit of engine bay cleaning. I would see if you can get it to turn on the handle, having dripped some thin oil into each cylinder a day or so before. Then label & remove all rubber hoses & as I said, I can match you up to replacement lengths for most of the sizes.

Clive thanks for notes. The crew lockers are at the end of the petrol tanks towards the rear axle. Seems a bit of a stretch for the crew unless you mean the squaddies in the rear???

The rear storage locker had something in there, but until I remove the bits in the back and lift the floor plate I won't know what awaits???????

You mention the later lubricator points, which I assume is a good thing or equally not a bad thing.

Point duly noted on the hoses and I will be knocking your door down when that happens.

Regarding brake adjusters......Yes please 4no.....just don't put them in the same place as the inter-vehicle starter socket :LoL:

I was pleasantly surprised how sound the old girl was from underneath, except a holed exhaust down pipe and the oil in the oil bath under the filter looked clear and golden......

The thin oil in the cylinders I guess is something similar to a light machine oil like 3 in 1????

Very rewarding and enjoyable day yesterday even if it was only moving and tinkering!

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo

Clive thanks for notes. The crew lockers are at the end of the petrol tanks towards the rear axle. Seems a bit of a stretch for the crew unless you mean the squaddies in the rear???
Yes it almost sounded as if they could put their feet in them.

The rear storage locker had something in there, but until I remove the bits in the back and lift the floor plate I won't know what awaits???????
Lots of rare LV9/BOE items maybe?

You mention the later lubricator points, which I assume is a good thing or equally not a bad thing.
Good thing, less chance of damaging the seal when injecting OIL through the OIL lubrication point. Not to be confused with squirting grease into the oil lubrication point as many do I'm afraid:shocked:

Regarding brake adjusters......Yes please 4no.....just don't put them in the same place as the inter-vehicle starter socket :LoL:
Yes but if I did I would find the socket n'est ce pas?

The thin oil in the cylinders I guess is something similar to a light machine oil like 3 in 1????

Yes I would have thought so, that sort of thing

I was pleasantly surprised how sound the old girl was from underneath,
You're still talking about the Pig are you?:wow:

I guess I will need one of those fancy oil injector attachments to lubricate the Cobham joints. Can you advise what that item is please and if still available??

Also get your mind out of the gutter you Mucky Pup!

I guess I will need one of those fancy oil injector attachments to lubricate the Cobham joints. Can you advise what that item is please and if still available??

I find is best done with an "Andy" Model 5000 High Pressure Lubricator Can be used for oil or grease. Ideally nice to have one for each. Dale had 3 but they are all long gone.

DSCF2410.jpg

A bit more tedious you could use:

App2783.jpg

I have a grease gun and a good one but would not imagine how it would work with a liquid lubricant???????????

The ones Dale had are stupendous and I bet you have one????????? :mad::mad::mad:.

As the Guru on PIG's and having been a frequent visitor to your collection I am miffed that you did not offer me that 'Retail Opportunity'.........I guess before my Humber time :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

"Control" makes me think of Doctor Who for some reason. It didn't once 'belong' to UNIT, did it? :-)

Andy

With the shield it does look more like a Brinks Matt truck,,,,,,but the Control could squash that theory.........

It will be one of those things to sort out on the history of this vehicle............Maybe one day ?? :undecided::undecided::undecided::undecided::whistle:

I have a grease gun and a good one but would not imagine how it would work with a liquid lubricant???????????
Wayne assuming your grease gun doesn't leak try filling it with oil & see what it does.

The ones Dale had are stupendous and I bet you have one????????? :mad::mad::mad:
I think I bought my HP Lubricator before Dale got his collection. Mine was new & had the VAOS label still on:) They go for £30-£50 depending on condition. Sometimes you see some really filthy ones, but because they get so sticky they attract grime & dust. Once you clean them up they can look quite nice.

As the Guru on PIG's and having been a frequent visitor to your collection I am miffed that you did not offer me that 'Retail Opportunity'.........I guess before my Humber time :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(
No point in getting miffed with me. http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?18278-B-Series-amp-Pig-bits-NI-Kit-etc&highlight=pressure

****e I just missed that but was a Newbe and we hadn't met formally so missed that thread and didn't understand....

My grease gun does not weep grease around the head just where the plunger is at the rear, but only smeers.

If I left and dissasembled and just filled with oil the grease in threads etc would caulk a leak so I may be okay except head is only suitable to grease nipples and lubrication points seem fatter/ wider??

Edited by Rover8FFR
spelling

That will keep you quiet for a while.

Had a look to see if I could find any clues to its "acting" role.

A few yo watch here.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=Humber&model=FV+1611&modelMatch=1&modelInclModel=on

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=Humber&model=FV+1609&modelMatch=1&modelInclModel=on

Probably some missing as no mention of Minder.

But you can chose from Are You Being Served, Magnum, Miami Vice, Beyonce Video,

A few to watch when you are not working on it.

Mike

****e I just missed that but was a Newbe and we hadn't met formally so missed that thread and didn't understand....

My grease gun does not weep grease around the head just where the plunger is at the rear, but only smeers.

If I left and dissasembled and just filled with oil the grease in threads etc would caulk a leak so I may be okay except head is only suitable to grease nipples and lubrication points seem fatter/ wider??

I bought one of the pumps from Clive Wayne and if I ever see another for the right price I would defo get it ! It made a long difficult job of lubricating all the Pig's nipples much more enjoyable ! As Clive has said filling the Tracta joints with out one is very difficult ! I bought a tin of grease which slots in perfectly and is easily removed when I want to pump oil ! Also its got my name on it so it must be good ! :-D

One for Mr Elliott..........

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by fv1609 viewpost-right.png

Wayne is your torque reaction bracket still welded to the chassis or had it been modified like most I've seen with 3 long bolts? These are all burning questionsgrin.gif

Did you get to answer this from any of the images posted Clive???????????

Did you get to answer this from any of the images posted Clive???????????

Nope, everything but. Judging by many of the shots it was directly above you. The TRB steadies/supports the transfer box on the lower off side to the chassis.

Damn it.....I will check my User Handbook and EMER and make sure I am looking at the right item....

All part of the learning curve I guess!

On another issue I hope to cut away the rotten side lockers as they are truly past their best. I note the panels appear to be welded / bolted to an angle section on the body sides that isn't part of the armor. I know I have seen some images of when you recreated yours Clive all those years back :laugh:

If I grind these away will I need to carry out any special treatment of protection to the armor plate, should the grinder cut in whilst grinding smooth!!!!!

Or would I be best to just remove the worst of the thin gauge and leave the angles in-situ to measure for replacement in the correct position?? I think I have just answered my own question, somewhat???

What has anyone else done to replace / repair the side lockers on an FV1611A?

20120301_113121.jpg

20120301_111748.jpg

20120301_084948.jpg

Thanks

Clive

I noticed the frame / wire and leather gearlever gaitor is very brittle and breaking up.

Q. Are these available still?

Q. Are they common to another FV for sourcing?

Q. Is it an item that would need to be reproduced?

Thanks in advance.

:):help: