LR '75 Series 3 109' - Water control valve for heater -

Muskrat

Noticed a small to medium (depending on the lever setting) trickle flowing out from the inclined slot where the arm that is attached to the cable is located. Obviously there is something amiss inside, probably a seal of some sort. Being as though I have not seen a schematic of one, I have not a clue. Is there a way to find out, or is the whole component shot - I have not, as of yet, seen any instruction of a way to dismantle it - It also looks to be crimped together fairly well, and probably for a reason, like it does not want to be. So, does this part have to ability to be broken down for an 'outback repair' to keep it going down the road until a proper one can be fitted? And if so, any suggestions. As this is my first Landy (and one and only means of conveyance) I have to learn as I go.

She's at that age (not miles) where certain parts need to be replaced - seals mostly I have found. As the part is pretty pricey here in the States, if I do have to replace the entire thing, is there an aftermarket one that won't take food out of my Heeler's mouth?

Thank you in advance for all responses - J.D. Davis Prescott, Arizona.

The one out of a Land Rover "genuine" box , is probably a cheap copy of what the original S3 bowden-cable operated valve was , fresh air heater.

The S3 type valve was fitted at the front of the cylinder head, you could fit the original S2A & Lightweight type fug-stirers (normally fitted at rear of cyl. head) - this can be fully dismantled to fit new "O" rings (genuine Smiths).

smithsMA.jpg

These are rare NOS , you would have to get a old one. The new brass types (also used on many Leyland Classics) is similar but the top of the valve is crimped over to secure the seal - when they leak , you fit a new one.

Edited by ruxy
speling