XWDV8

military laptop LXI & radio set up

Yes, just make sure you keep it covered up as playing with that really is a way of sending you blind... ;)

trevor

British Army used 2 versions of LXI : LXI-2 used as part of ODETTE Electronic Warfare System and LXI-lp (low profile) as part of UK/TSC Satellite Field Terminal.

Sorry to dig this thread up, but my friend is having a some weird power problems with his LXI. Does anyone know the values of the voltages produced by the internal PSU?

For those who are still busy with their DRS LX1 ...I recently got one gifted im busy restoring .

Usual problems .. backup battery dead ..and it wont boot from HDD .

HDD btw is a normal 44pin IDE 2.5inch drive like in older laptops . just put in a funny caddy . Bios has limitations seeing bigger as 6gb drives , will be working on that to see if it will accept a larger drive later on (40 to 80gb) It will run on win 95/98/SE and NT 4 workstation..wichever you prefer.

The backup battery btw is not a common CR type wich is likely why the computershop in a previous post couldnt find it :)

Backup battery is situated on the lower board next to the ram modules ..looks like a relay ..marked Timekeeper Snaphat M4T28-BR12SH1. Hard to find , if you can order from them : Farnell sells em .. but found cheap ones offered on Ali Express so just have to wait a bit now.

Another thing noticed: Mobo has a single 44pin ide output , its possible to change the single cable for one with two positions so one can add a second idd or a laptop CDRW .Theres conversions for the plug on those to genderchange em to 44pin ide . I plan to add a laptop cdrw in now obsoletely space the battery was mounted.

Other possible hacks: change the Xircom cardbus ethernet/modem card for a faster one..or even replace it for a wifi cardbus module..Ive removed the military LAN output plug from the back and replaced it with a black PVC mil looking style watertight 'normal' RJ45 output ,was same size , just screw out the weird mil connector adn screw in the watertight RJ45 part .Still trying to find out if the pinline the keyboard is connected to is also the actual USB out too ..would be quite handy to have :) The BAMS net connector wont be affected as thats soldered directly to another part of the Mobo . i would advise to take out the build in NICAD battery though ..you can rebuild it/ replace the cells easilly ..but chances are when they go leaky they will do damage !

Edited by Heinrich

Hello all,

I am a collector of unusual computers (UK military, US police, Soviet USSR, Soviet GDR..) and I have four computers having been a part of the network English IARRCIS in the 90s.

The hard disks of origin being very expensive $$$, I have to find the way to restore a little life in computers by using small distributions Linux on diskettes 2 minimum or  25 maximum. :thumbsup:

It is a practical solution, on condition good on to have still diskettes under the hand.

Good day,

Vince

Vince

Thanks. I have a couple of the big grey ones to look at one day - I will give that a go when I do 

Iain

I got mine to run Windows 95 after a lot of head scratching working out how to get it on the machine.  Unfortunately the screen has several defects.  :-(

Andy

After a bit of struggle I finally have antiX (linux) and w95 running on my LXI.

What did I learn?

Lots.

The standard disk is a bog standard 40pin IDE.  But the connectors are way far from stanard.

So I stripped the machine down.  fitted a standard IDE cable in place of the standard cable.  I took the +5 and ground from the battery charger connector and wired the beast up to a SD to 3.5” 40 pin hard-drive adapter.

Bingo, installs from CD onto the adapter.

Also installs to an externally fitted 3.5 IDE disk - but that is less pretty.

I had trouble doing instals of windoze to the SCSI drive (without an IDE) somway into the installs it got confused about C: and D: and e:  Since it is windoze I just gave up and walked away.

Unix/Linix installs OK to scsi.

If I can can give anyone a hand with their kit, drop me a line.

----

Questions:

Sound - does anyone know the corrects for the sound conector on military kit?

Network - where can I get a connector for the fibre?  I run fibre in lots of places - but with SFP, not with that muckle big connector on the LXI.

Can anyone tell me what software ran on this kit?  I would like to mock up some screens, but I have no idea what the function of this unit was.

Thanks

lxi-a.jpg

lxi-a.jpg

Is the sound connector 7 pin circular like this: clansman-headset-socket.gif ?

For the fibre LAN connections common military types are TFOCA (USA), Fischer FOH, and MIl-38999 DM - I think it will be a case of looking for pictures that match yours to find a source.  The catalogue at http://www.techoptics.com/products/harsh-environment/multiway-connectors/ has most of the common types with links to the data sheets - if the LXI is the same as IARCCS it looks a lot like the HMFM type ?

I did some work reconstructing the earlier BATES/BMETS Artillery fire control software that ran on a GEX PC-XT equivalent years ago http://www.g0ozs.org/misc/LACS/index.html - I wrote a DOS batch file to emulate the screens on a normal PC but it may be too long ago to run on any computer I have now. You could write a simple shell script or C program to run in a Linux console to produce similar screens I'm sure 

Best of luck 

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
Better links for data sheets

Aye, that is the connector.  

Thanks for the various links m- they will be helpful.

BTW my computer is a LXI-3 - so ultra modern (about 2002 from some of the internal stickers).