military laptop LXI & radio set up

XWDV8

Well, that is good news with the HDD!

As for music from win98, do you have a program like CDPlayer? It should be part of win98, later replaced by Windows Media Player, if I remember rightly. Fairly basic thing, never used it much.

trevor

Cheers Trevor

yes the windows 98 has a music player , I was wondering if it would push to video though , but looks like it wont .

Rich

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iain

I have those pics for you , also some showing the connections at rear of the LXI laptop to see if you can figure them out ?

I also acquired a pair of SSP teleprinters I think which I hope to set up with the LXI if possible ? I have included some pics of the connectors on these also .

im guessing XMOD will be able to help me out with the leads , im guessing the printer could run from mains electric or vehicle electrics ?

would this type of printer have been used in a Bates truck like mine ? if so would it also receive data via radio ?

cheers

Rich

P7090483 comp.jpg

The 322 HF linear has a wider separation between the mounting bars than the other vehicular radio kit, I think.

Regards

Iain

Are we talking about the 322 amp ? ive seen archive pictures of these these and most are rigid mounted to a table with the 250 watt TURF mounted on top ? no rubber isolating feet .

im wondering if the table is for the heavy (32Kg) ruggerised monitor as used in the CRVT ??

Rich

nearly forgot , this picture shows the new small HDD cobbled up to fit , it isn't very secure sadly maybe a bit of foam top and bottom will stop it bouncing around ?

im hoping of finding another Toshiba HDD ( MK 4313 MAT ) HDD 2141 to have a DIY repair of the other LXI .

Rich

P7090484.jpg

Hi Rich

It all makes sense now I can see inside the laptop! Was there meant to be another photo with the rear connector cables ?

Do you have any info on the teleprinters ? Or failing that a photo. The Clansman RTTY system operated using Baudot (5 bit code) at 75 bits/s with either +/- 80 volt signal levels for mechanical Siemens T100 printers or +/- 12V levels for more modern electronic machines. I think BATES/BMETS/LACS was ASCII (8 bit code), based on all I have seen (although I believe the actual messages over the air were binary data to a large extent).

I did once have a Trend 713 teleprinter (a black electronic machine with separate dot matrix printer and keyboard units bolted to a base board) which had a connector similar to the female one on my LXI - that interface turned out to be RS232 at 300 baud and I do have notes of the pinout somewhere (not seen since moving house). Because the BATES/BMETS messages are handled by the computer and printed off line if at all there is no real need for the printer and over-the-air data rates or character encoding to be the same.

Given that the LXI is a fairly normal PC compared with real BATES/BMETS or LACS machines I think the best approach is probably to make an RS232 to whatever-the-teleprinter wants interface and find some software to output messages to it. I havent tried it but I think K7TTY's program will do what you need at least on WinXP and older systems - see http://www.k7tty.com/development/software/RTTYArt.htm - you may also need a current loop interface e.g. http://www.aetherltd.com/connecting.html for an example.

If the machines you have are ASCII rather than BAUDOT (8 bit rather than 5 bit code) then the PC will likely drive it directly if we can work out the wiring.

We just need to find a RS232 port on the LXI now ...

Regards

Iain

Now found the SSP printer pictures sorry - looks like it has a parallel (Centronics?) interface :( so need to find a pinout and make a cable to the LXI printer port. Having said that I dimly remember the printer inside those things is a fairly normal commercial mechanism and you may find a more normal connector inside as with the disk drive.

Regards

Iain

Rich

The large 2 pin connector is marked "LAN" at http://www.thexmod.com/prod_pics/11991-2.jpg which is the back of an IARCCS machine - what kind of LAN I am unsure as I have never seen it in my day job working on Ethernet LANs for most of the last 20 years !

Regards

iain

Probably 10base2 judging by the age of the device and the number of pins?

Andy

Andy

10 Base 2 is the thin coax cable ethernet with BNC connectors. I think Lauren may have identified it - the connector looks like an Amphenol HMFM Hermaphrodite fibre optic connector: http://amphenolafrica.com/cats/HMFM.pdf - whether the protocol is 100BaseFX or something more unusual I have no way to guess.

Regards

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

[Amazzing pics , looks like a newer set up than my old clockwork jobby .

im having some operating glitches with mine now , something seems to go wrong everytime i try and start PC , waiting for a windows 98 disc to arrive so i can reboot . hopefully they settle down ??

Iain your spot on again , the printers i have aquired do have a seperate domestic type connection inside the case .

Rich

• 2 weeks later...