military laptop LXI & radio set up

XWDV8

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Marmite - the connector is smaller than the Clansman one - the parts that fit IARRCS (and hopefully LXI - they certainly look the same on the cyrptomuseum site photo i.e. a mini-clansman for DC and a mini-3pin for AC) are found by searching for DMC Z75 on the Xmod web site. All I have ever said is that these leads fit IARRCS and the connectors on a photo of the LXI to which a link was posted earlier in this thread look the same as the IARRCS ones. I guess we need to wait on the post arriving with Majorweld now to know for sure.

@Majorweld - the connector looks familiar - I have seen other commercial SCSI drives with a similar one. I will scour e-Bay and PM you a number if I find one that looks right. But best to wait & see if it powers up before investing, and if all you need is a display booting from a CD or Floppy may be cheaper !

Iain

Majorworld

The drive connector is some variant of SCA (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Connector_Attachment ) used for quick replacement SCSI disk drives. I would probably try something like an IBM 90P1300 (Seagate ST973401LC) as a 2.5" SCA disk that is fairly cheap as surplus/salvage and fabricate a caddy if it works.

regards

Iain

Do the connectors have any numbers on them (sometime stamped into the ring around the connector). I doubt they would have used a special connector, it's probably just uncommon. You might find it's still available from the manufacturer.

Military Connectors are available from RS if you have the cash.. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=military+connector&sra=oss&r=t#

ahh right , I thought maybe it was a defroster for the key pad or something .

to think now you probably have the same computing power and useability on a tablet PC , its amazing how military technology and science is progressing so quickly , shame it isn't done for more noble causes :nut:

Actually military technology often lags what is in civil use by the time it enters service at least in peacetime - the long procurement process and the need for components to be fully qualified to military standards means that what was advanced when ordered is usually available to end users earlier in consumer form and the military generally keep things for long after consumers have moved on - even more so in aerospace applications - so it was quite common to see mid 1970s processors in new military and space designs of the 1980s just because they had an established reliability record and those same designs lasted for 2 or 3 decades in use. I think the LXI is either an early Pentium or late 486 so rather ordinary for a machine used well into this century !

Iain

I wouldnt have thought so ! The 322 amp is vacuum tube based but extremely rugged so is very heavy (37KG) and I would have thought the rubber mounts would make matters worse if it ends up with that much metal bouncing around. So I am also puzzled.

I wouldnt have thought so ! The 322 amp is vacuum tube based but extremely rugged so is very heavy (37KG) and I would have thought the rubber mounts would make matters worse if it ends up with that much metal bouncing around. So I am also puzzled.

some Guy in Germany has informed me it was a ruggerised computer ? (not laptop ) running the BATES software , on the rubber isolation mounts ?? it does look to me like the hinge brackets on the front could incorporate a fold up tray for the keypad and the rubber mounts held the screen/pc ?

apart from LXI laptops has anyone seen any other type of vehicle mounted computer from the 90,s era ? im guessing this is what I need . I have a pic of similar truck but mine has a huge map board thing ? unless of course this is my truck and its had modifications over the years

?

047_gallery_01_502x335-1.jpg

Iain

I have the power leads and the Mains 240v is a good un ........... The LXi is powering up ok on the screen , its telling me theres a keyboard fault ? also the HDD is missing .

Do you think its OK to proceed to find a HDD ?? There is a guy on ebay with the exact LXI HDD,s but he asking £250 each , he says they are military spec encased in a white resin ?

d sooner not spend anywhere near that on old laptops but I don't quite know how to make the CADDY thing ? do you think if I popped it into my local PC shop the guys there may be able to match something up , seeing as they have lots of stock , spares and knowledge ? or do I just buy something off Epay like the one you suggested ?

Best wishs

Rich:cool2:

I have a spare keyboard to try

Rich

I'd try the computer shop for the HDD first if only because "sale or return" can be done in real time rather than postal time (although if it uses an 80 pin SCA connector it was probably a server disc rather than a home computer one so will need a shop that has business customers or recycles ex-business servers). The caddy is basically just a frame that adapts the 2.5" disc to the larger slot and ensures that the connector on the disc and the one in the slot are correctly positioned relative to each other so is "just" metalwork to re-create. If the e-bay seller has any decent photos they may help you explain what you are after.

The keyboard fault is unfortunate - hopefully the spare will work. If you can get the keyboard working it should be possible to tell it to boot from floppy or CD-ROM rather than the absent HDD - quite possibly that will avoid the need to buy one if all you need is for it to look alive for display purposes. Depending on the BIOS you probably need to press "ESC", "CTRL-ALT-INS" or one of the F-keys to get in setup mode and tell it to use floppy or CD first. If you can do that I can make a boot floopy or bootable CD-ROM for you (PM me to arrange for me to post one, if desired). Do you have any pictures of the screen that you want to reproduce ?

What was the e-bay item number for the claimed LXI original disk ?

Regards

Iain

I have been baffled to what fits the raised slide out rubber mounted platform in my truck and was given a link to this device ? its all guesswork but maybe my rb44 had one of these on the platform , im awaiting response from the seller on its fixing loctaions , etc .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-MOD-British-Army-Tracked-Vehicle-FV-432-436-VDU-assembly-kit-/121248418099?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c3af80933

big old lump though:shocked: