Wolf XD FFR radio fit for 2003 Gulf War

Trooper15

Hi Brian, I was a Signaler in the Artillery until 04. Boman was just coming in, but we didn't have it yet. front line units would have got it first. I didn't go to the gulf in 03 so I cant say for sure if it was used.

I think you would need to ask yourself a few questions first. What unit does the Rover belong to, who was using the Rover and for what.

EG; If it was my Rover it would have bean the Sigs Sgt Land rover Wolf 110, sigs support fitted with 2 clansman 353 radios set up as a stand by rebro station. and a bty charging system for the 351/2 radio batters.

I think I have probably raised more questions than I answered, sorry.

Ross

Hi Ross

Thanks for your reply and input , The vehicles were supporting B and C squadron Scots DG in Kuwait then Iraq , I have two photos taken by Tony Nicoletti, I'm not sure what set up they have but have been told elsewhere that a Twin VRC353 or a 353 and a 321 would be likely. I am in the process of sculpting the piper figure ( Jim Johnston from Dundee ) , here are the two photos . I have the chassis finisdhed with the 28v alternator built and added.

RSGD4.jpg

JimJohnstone.jpg

cheers

Brian

OK, Defiantly no 321 fitted to your Rover, The 321 was a HF set, the antenna' for HF set's are mounted on the sides mid way down, you can see it hear on the right side of this Wolf.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57584[/ATTACH]

There are 2 TUAAM's fitted to yours, one on each wing, but only one antenna, so it could be any of the following.

2x vrc353's. or,

1x vrc353 and 1x prc351/2 clip in kit. or,

1x vrc353. or,

1x prc351/2.

This is 2 353's mounted side by side.

This is a prc 351 man pack. The top part is the radio and the bottom part is the battery.

And this is a prc 352 man pack. Note the £52 is the same Radio as the 351 but with a 20watt amp and a 4watt surf fitted. The 20 watt amp is fitted between the radio and the battery, with the 4watt surf on top.

The prc351/2 would be mounted on a charring frame and then clipped in to the Rover, the idea was that the radio could be removed easily and remote operated.

This is the man pack radio frame that the 351/2 would be mounted on.

The frame on the left is the clip in frame for a Rover, this would be bolted to the dexion across the back of the Rover behind the seats. the man pack frame would then clip into this. you can see the radio mounted on the man pack frame on the right. This is a 351 with a 4watt surf fitted, the SURF was used to stop one radio interfering with the other one next to it if the infrequency's were close together. Also note the box on the left, this is a DCCU, used fior charging the batters of the 351/2, this would also have bean fitted on the dexion.

This is the clip in kit fitted. The table across the bottom is where the 353 radio would go, under this would be a box housing the two 12v batters used for the radios and charged from the engine, in Wolf Rover's this was normaly painted black with red writing on it. "DANGER ACID".

The call sign on the door is the key to finding out who's Rover it was.

I hope this helps, Ross

vrc353.jpg

6PRC351.jpg

prc-352-assembly.jpg

prc-351_backpackframe.jpg

59156.jpg

352-1.jpg

NM.jpg