A Riddle............................................

A few more pics of this afternoons achievement, after a tug of war with two tractors and the Recouperator and cradle slung between it was evident that these two were not going to part with ease so I had to resort to my previous plan of splitting the Cradle.

I cut the cradle into three pieces through existing welds relieving pressure on the recouperator, although I still needed a 10 ton bottle jack to seperate the parts !

Still having a struggle with the Block and I have used up all my copper hammers so I may have to have it pressed out !:iamsmiling:

Rob..................rnixartillery.

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

After a failed first attempt to remove the Breech block from the ring I had a re-think and went to plan B !

Any which way........................but worked.:D

All parts are now dis-assembled and ready for repair and sandblasting.

Rob........................rnixartillery.

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0228.jpg

DSCF0229.jpg

Had a good day in the workshop today and repaired the Block and ring so they are now ready for sand blasting.

The cuts in the Ring were 3" deep in places so they took some building up but things turned out pretty good.

Pics of the Block.

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

Just a couple more of todays progress on the Barrel,one hole was were the Barrel had been burnt which is a typical MOD de-mil and the other marks are from range damage and splatter but at least metal has been replaced with metal !

Before and afters.

Rob......................rnixartillery.

DSCF0254.jpg

DSCF0258.jpg

And another,After filling the damaged area I have had to file the recess back which is were the barrel strap clamps the barrel to the recouperator.

Next job is to sort the recouperator which is in a pretty poor state !

Rob...................rnixartillery.

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0260.jpg

You are welding up and generally repairing all those de-mil points Rob, what are the legal implications there?

I suppose if you stuck a bar in that cut barrel hole, welded it in, and dressed it off, you are not rendering it any more usable, but just wondered if there are things you can, and cannot, do - so to speak?

Gordon

Although there has been cuts made to the Barrel ,ring and block non of them are home office approved as a suitable form of de-activation so I need to weld them up and make repairs and then carry out the de-ac work in the correct locations.

These are the standard Home office requirements.

When I bought my 105mm L5 Howitzer several years back it came with the breech block welded solid to the Breech ring,I inquired with the Home office and proof house to find out if it was a sufficiant form of de-activation of the breech.

I was made to unpick the welds making the block operational just to cross cut the striker face ! :nut:

Pins can only be used in recoiless rifles ,rocket launchers,mortars etc.

Rob.....................rnixartillery

Edited by rnixartillery

I thought you'd have a grip of the technicalities.

Once you have it all sorted do you need to get it inspected, stamped, certified, or whatever?

Thats correct Gordon,when everything has been completed I will contact Mr Massey at Birmingham proof house and arrange a site visit,he has been a number of times before so as long as the kettle is on its pretty standard practise ! :coffee:

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

Aha, the " tea & biscuits and a half day out of the office " technique that I've used when I wanted chassis numbers checked against other details - I'm familiar with that.

As I said I expected that you would have a handle of the legal niceties, just wasn't clear on what they were. I'm sure there will be piles of other regulations to be complied with when buying and selling this stuff, moving it across borders, and the like. You night want to throw in the odd comment on the technicalities as I'm sure we'd be interested. thanks.

Meanwhile, back at the the Pheasant.