A Riddle............................................

We moved it indoors; it had been sitting out by the roller door for several years. Aside from some rust in one of the storage boxes, it came up pretty good after I washed all the spider-webs off of it.

Let me know if you want any detail photos or anything.

Cheers,

Terry

As a bit of a random act I decided to spend a day restoring the spares and tool boxes for the Pheasant and it worked out well because I wanted to see what the paint colour looked like that I have decided to go with !. I also found some nice canvass that looked right to cover the box lids which works well with the paint colour.

Still welding and grinding at the moment so hopefuly I will start assembling very soon ! :D

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

Is there any chance of getting the dimensions of the boxes so I can see if they fit a stowage point on my truck?

Lauren,

I would guess the photo was taken in southern Italy judging by the surroundings ,the pheasant as a weapon was rendered obsolete by the end of 1943 as it was replaced by the 17 pdr.

The stowage on the quad roof is spare Ammunition or at least the boxes anyway which I do have in the collection.

Rob..................rnixartillery.

The number 5 body was used on quads so they could carry the 17pdr ammo rounds if needed as the rear was open and a canvas roof coverd the top

I have not been able to findany pictures of any racking in the rear so assume it was boxed rounds carried

as this picture proves !

Rob..................rnixartillery

Q1.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well after a very long wait and several other restorations later I now have enough space in the workshop to hopefully finish the Pheasant. The Gun was assembled in primer a couple of years back to make certain it would all fit together correctly which is how it has been since then. My son and I lifted the ordnance from the saddle last Saturday and the carriage was swiftly dismantled and prept ready for paint. We are weather dependant lifting the painted gun back on the carriage today making the whole thing more mobile and to progress while the enthusiasm is still with me !

Pics attached

Rob..........................rnixartillery.

pcs.jpg

pcs2.jpg

pcs3.jpg

pcs4.jpg

pcs5.jpg

Thanks for the interest Chaps, so the weather was kind today and things came on leaps and bounds. Ordnance fitted VERY carefully as not to damage any paint work ,this really is a heavy lump of steal to have hanging on the front of a telehandler

and with only an inch to play with things were tight. Anyhow I could not resist fitting some CES as I have been looking at it for the past couple of years in the back store room so it is now where it belongs. I also fitted the sight assembly which was another parts I restored some time ago along with the 'cut off' bar. Next task is to paint the Ring and fit the firing linkage.

more pics for those interested

upwards and onwards !

Rob...................rnixartillery

ps1.jpg

ps2.jpg

ps3.jpg

ps4.jpg

ps5.jpg

ps6.jpg

ps7.jpg

ps8.jpg

• Like 1

Things are moving along nicely and with the exception of having the platform sandblasted and a bit of painting its getting there, I fitted the shield yesterday and have been fitting brackets etc today. When the pheasant was in brief service it didn't carry much kit on the gun itself and with it being in a direct fire role there was no need for the leather work and sighting gear that a 25 pdr would have carried. Although it would look great to have all this kit attached it would not be accurate .

One stand out feature is the height of the barrel once fully elevated, I must remember to lower it before pulling out of the workshop because the door is quite a bit lower ! :nut:

Rob...................rnixartillery.

ph1.jpg

ph2.jpg

ph3.jpg

ph4.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery
  • Like 1

Better by the day.

What would the towing vehicle have been Rob? Quad and limber, Bren-type carrier ?

They were generally towed behind a 3 ton truck or Quads as one of the pictures in an earlier post shows ,as with anti-tank Artillery you don't need the quantity of ammunition that is required with field artillery,

In theory one round equals one direct hit depending on the accuracy of the gun crew and range.

Rob...................rnixartillery.

As good as all your projects Rob, lovely job. It would be educational to see it alongside a regular 17pdr for comparison....and your place is the only place on the planet where that's possible!