My copy of a RAF Fordson armoured car

b2414

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit to being among those who, at the start of your project thought "Oh dear".

I will now eat humble pie and say that you have created a magnificent vehicle that really captures the spirit of the original.

Nice one. :)

Edited by mtskull

I must admit to being among those who, at the start of your project thought "Oh dear".

I will now eat humble pie and say that you have created a magnificent vehicle that really captures the spirit of the original.

Nice one. :)

thanks but even I had doubts some times that I cud not pull it off and it tuck longer then I imagined :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was travelling south from Harrogate towards the M18 on the A1 on Sunday and passed a military vehicle.

Was this you?

I tried to get a photo, but my dad was driving and traffic was not co-operating.

If it was you, vehicle looked very well and was attracting a lot of interest on the road!

I was travelling south from Harrogate towards the M18 on the A1 on Sunday and passed a military vehicle.

Was this you?

I tried to get a photo, but my dad was driving and traffic was not co-operating.

If it was you, vehicle looked very well and was attracting a lot of interest on the road!

yes it was I came back on the A1 heading to Doncaster :laugh:

Well just had my first show last weekend at theY.M.V.T.York / Elvinton it was very good apart from the rain but there was a lot of interest in the car. The car ran pretty good I went up on the A19 but came back on theA64 and the A1 with a max speed of 64 mph with no problems the only thing is that it was very windy so I will have to have some sort of intercom for my passenger . The only down side is that I may have to let it go as I have been informed that one of my neighbours has put a complaint in say it is an eyesore and they want it moving and I have no ware to put it . So watch this space

mvt york 2014 003.jpg

Edited by b2414
video

So long as it is road legal, taxed, insured, and there are no local bylaws about keeping armoured cars on the driveway, what can they do about it. A nice big green tarp may help, though by the sound of the neighbours, they are just out to have a go because it doesn't suit them. Perhaps sell it and get a nice big tracked APC?

Tell them to get stuffed :P It's a beautiful car and being road registered on private property, I believe that there is nothing that they can do about it. While half a world away, I don't believe that any of my neighbours have complained about the Saracen in my driveway, but even if they did, there is nothing that can be done about it (my council does have a bylaw limiting the number of vehicles on a property, but it's something like 15...)

I'm not sure what you can do about an intercom; if it had a 24v power supply I'd suggest Clansman. Maybe get some wireless motorcycle ones?

Cheers,

Terry

Some people live to make others lives a misery. Do you know which neighbour it is that complained, and have you asked the other neighbours what they think about it, I think if it's only one and the other's are OK about it I don't think there's to much the council can do about it.

thanks for all the replies I have seen the council man and he is going to see if any one else makes a complaint and he will take it from there I have let it be know to the one I think is the one complaining that if I have to move it I will park it on the road outside their house and let them look at it all day and let my brother park is Luton van in its place on the drive all this because they cannot look up the street with out going to there gate to nosey :nut::nut::nut:

A few years ago a friend had a similar problem. Under the by laws in his area they could tell him to not park it on his drive. But he did exactly as you say and parked it on the road. Council called the police out who politely pointed out that as it was taxed, mot'd and insured he was perfectly allowed to park it on the road. We have also had a similar issue with our neighbour complaining about vehicles on our drive. Luckily we have a sensible planning officer who pointed out to them that it was our drive and what we parked there was our business and nothing to do with them. Although they do complain if we park in front of their house. If they were polite and asked us if we could avoid parking in front of the house then fine.

So good luck and hopefully you have a sensible council.

Ed

This issue of neighbours objecting the types of land use even occurs here on the other side of the world. Often it is new people moving into an existing neighborhood, then to find points are not to their satisfaction and start the complaint process. It is not only to urban areas, but has all sorts of problems to maintaining rural agricultural operations.

Have you tried using the local newspaper with an article and photos featuring your vehicle, its history of the type and similar background. A setting with old service personnel about will also add to the story line.

Such publicity will raise the profile of the vehicle to the wider community. A down side could be an increase in people traveling the street to view the vehicle!

Doug

Someone mentioned caravans earlier on?

Ironically a housing estate near me , built in about 1990 -ish?.... has a bylaw preventing caravans being parked on the driveways...but...nothing whatsoever about armoured cars !

so ?....... ..I'd say "park on" ! :)

Possibly check with your 2 nearest neighbours each side of you and see if they got any objections ? and then... if not ? ask them if they'd consider writing you a letter of support ...if only for use should it get to that daft stage though...

but...generally........ I'd have to say carry on , remain polite in your dealings with the idiots (even if they are idiots) and stay on the high ground.....and you can't loose :)

PS: ......... a cracking end result regarding the armoured car though I have to say ! really awesome ! :) :):)