10cwt trailer help

Just bought what I hope is a 10cwt trailer that has been modified a bit. Its missing a few bits which I am now looking for like the handbrake, name plate, jacks and tailgate (or drawings for it). Should I restore back to original configuration or was this alteration likely to have been done during wartime? Any help with parts or id much appreciated.

My10cwt16.jpg

My10cwt.jpg

My10cwt2.jpg

My10cwt3.jpg

My10cwt4.jpg

My10cwt5.jpg

My10cwt6.jpg

My10cwt7.jpg

My10cwt9.jpg

Hi,

It is interesting that several 10cwt trailers for restoration have appeared in last couple of months.

Not sure if you have seen it, but there is a lot of info on this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?26752-British-WW2-10-cwt-GS-Trailer

Your trailer has the early "barrel shaped" hitch, and welded lugs for the folding handles, which I think makes it a Mk1 GS version.

John

Hello Nigel,

Looks like a No 1 GS built probably by W.J. Reynolds or possibly SS (later Jaguar).

You seem to have the right, earlier type tow hitch which has been moved from the top of the drawbar to the underneath to allow it to be towed by a vehicle with a hook lower than a Jeep or an early 15cwt with pin and pintle. Unfortunately you are missing the tailgate which could be made.

You will need the support legs and a few other bits and pieces.

Do have a look at the thread which John C. suggests as there will be some useful info there.

If you care to PM me I may be able to help with some of the bits and a parts book.

Regards,

David.

Edited by David B.

Nice find Nigel!

You seem to have the right, earlier type tow hitch which has been moved from the top of the drawbar to the underneath to allow it to be towed by a vehicle with a hook lower than a Jeep or an early 15cwt with pin and pintle

Indeed a lot lower than a Jeep is seems....not only has the hitch been moved to the underside of the drawbar, the drawbar itself seems to have been moved downwards as well. Normally the drawbar would be in the same level as the rest of the frame. Those triangular panels seem to be covering the old position. Also it seems to me that the bed has been lengthened by moving the headboard slightly forward ( I think only the Mortar trailers had the longer bed?) the two centre pillars of the headboard were deleted and new outer pillars were welded to the front corners of the frame. Remains of the old pillar can still be seen about 15cm backwards. Is that the remain of one of the support legs still in the drawbar?

Good luck Nigel....looks like a nice late winter project.

Alex