Tank serial number font

Carruthers

whilst applauding your pursuit of absolute perfection in all matters concerning whatever restoration you may be undertaking.............:angel:

...One has to ask.........

..the correct .........font ! ?:wow:

Is this not, perhaps..... a step a little too far?...

..would not 'painted in white, nice and clear about 2" high' be sufficient? :D

There are several styles I have used on all my vehicles. My Jeep and 15 cwt lorries have a variety of styles, but they are all correct for the time, based on photo archive research. By correct i mean it in the same way as i would if describing any other finish. Would you put 'any 'old' green on your Jeep? No you'd buy the correct paint for the vehicle you wanted to have. That's why I'm asking....

Also i meant 1" not 2" size

Edited by Carruthers
additional text

Some serial numbers were factory-applied, thus generally in a standard format for particular manufacturers......

AMC (Matchless) and Ariel appear to have used stenciled format, whereas BSA, Norton, etc, appeared to use a block format, probably originally sign-written (painted) although evidence exists to indicate decals (transfers) were later-used, no doubt to speed-up volume production...........for the latter, try using waterslide classic motorcycle (front) numberplate decals...?

Sizes varied, but 1 & 3/4" seems to have been the norm...........

Best to study loads of period photos to get a feel for what is correct....although any variation is equally "accurate" in most cases....:-\