I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

After one performance at Andrews House station, I asked the "Seatones" to join me at the Jeep for a brief photoshoot. A couple of those photos can be seen below. There was also a rather interesting 1939 folding caravan on display in the show field above Marley Hill yard. It never went into production due to the outbreak of WW2.

tanfield1940_17.jpg

tanfield1940_20.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Little legs had plenty of friends to play with during the weekend and they were all dressed as evacuees. Tea parties, playing conkers, blackberry picking and riding the train were amongst the activities that kept them all busy for two days.

tanfield1940_26.jpg

tanfield1940_28.jpg

tanfield1940_42.jpg

tanfield1940_31.jpg

tanfield1940_37.jpg

tanfield1940_43.jpg

This was probably our last event for 2018. It's been a great season, helped by the good Summer weather, although a few shows have seen rain for part of the day. We've taken the vehicles to seventeen events starting in April with the Yorkshire MVT Crank Up. "Jessie" has clocked up 1126 miles so far this year, "Hope" has 234 miles, while "Faith" the Dodge has only done 172 miles, making it just over 1500 total for the year. 

• 1 month later...

Armistice Day +100 - November 11th

I spent yesterday looking back across the last century of conflict. 266 wars were fought during just the 20th Century. There were an estimated 109 million people who were killed during those wars. How can we remember them all? Those defending freedom and those caught up in events beyond their control or understanding. It's hard to picture so many dead; a seemingly infinite number of untold stories, shattered dreams and possibilities, lost to time. "We will remember them" seems so inadequate. So today, my thoughts are with just a few of those who survived, bar one. Chosen because I have their pictures and because I know a little of their stories.

My Granddad, Sgt Joseph O. Carr - Army Service Corps, World War 1.

111111i.jpg

Lynne's granddad, William Hay - Royal Air Force, World War 2.
111111j.jpg

The crew of the B-17 Fortress "Hang The Expense" of the "Bloody Hundredth Bomb Group", a story very close to me from the age of twelve, that became a big part of my life, eventually brought me together with the surviving crew members and their families.

111111k.jpg

Aircrew
2nd Lt Frank E. Valesh ( Pilot )
2nd Lt John E. Booth ( Co-Pilot )
2nd Lt John R. Johnson ( Navigator )
2nd Lt Maurice Zetlan ( Bombardier ) - Killed in take off accident with another crew, January 24th 1944
T/Sgt John Mytko ( Engineer/Gunner )
Cpl Ernest m. Jordon ( Radio Operator )
S/Sgt Louis Black Jr ( Ball Turret Gunner )
S/Sgt Herschel H. Broyles ( Waist Gunner )
S/Sgt Paul J. Carbone ( Waist Gunner )
S/Sgt Roy Urich ( Tail Gunner ) - POW, January 24th 1944

Ground Crew
Harold C. Wildrick ( Crew Chief )
Nels O. Davidson 
Lloyd M. Holland 
Sherman M. Nelson
J.C. Sambrailo

I didn't want to be part of the understandably large crowds at the various memorials around the North East today. I felt that so many people would be a distraction to reflecting quietly on the significant anniversary that has now passed.

111111b.jpg

So I had my own simple ceremony, standing alone outside the house, with "For the Fallen" by Robert Laurence Binyon, the Last Post, the silence and then Rouse echoing down the street. 

111111c.jpg

Giving the crowds time to clear in the village, shortly after noon, I took "Hope" to the memorial at Washington and chatted to some of the veterans who were still there, before coming home.

111111g.jpg

111111e.jpg

It's hard to imagine the mixed range of emotions 100 years ago, when the soldiers were told that "The War to End All Wars" was finally over.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The 2019 Season Begins

Out in the Snow - February 2nd

The first trip out for the 2019 season was to play in the snow! This was the first time for both Jeeps in the snow together and it was a lovely sunny day for it. We stayed local and found a couple of places with decent backgrounds not far from home. Both Jeeps had a good hose down upon their return, concluding their first trip out of the 2019 season.

feb_snow04.jpg

feb_snow09.jpg

feb_snow14.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

February 9th - Brake Light System Upgrade - Part 1

Feb 9th was the beginning of a brake light system upgrade which will include a new mechanical brake switch. The hydraulic pressure switch requires moderate pressure before the brake lights illuminate, so the stopping warning comes after braking has already started. I'd already added a mechanical switch to my M201 Jeep as the 24 volts on that kept eating pressure switch contacts and it was a pain having to bleed the brakes with every switch change.

The original bulbs were wartime sealed units and they were never particularly bright. Last year I opened up the sealed units and replaced them with LED Brake/Tail light bulbs, and sealed up the metal case again. While the LED replacement unit was a dual pole, to give separate brake and tail lighting, the brake LED's weren't significantly brighter than the tail light, making it hard to tell if I was braking when the lights were on. This can be seen from the first two images below. The difference actually looks greater in the photo than it did in real life.

2019_lights1.jpg

2019_lights2.jpg

I wanted to make sure my braking was more obvious to following drivers, so I decided to modify the sealed unit and lamp housing to accommodate a second LED, wired just into the brake circuit. This posed challenges to get the additional wiring from the second LED to the wiring harness. From the start, I knew it was going to be hard wired as one plug on my wiring harness was already damaged from a short several years ago. The short damaged the spring contacts at the end of the harness, so one side was already hard wired.

The additional LED had fly-leads soldered on and it was then glued into the wartime metal lamp using silicone. The back of the lamp was drilled to allow the earth and positive wire to exit the rear. The earth wire was cut short and soldered to a cleaned area on the back of the lamp, near to the central bulb. To prevent cross feeding of the tail and new brake LED's, I needed to add a diode to the original brake terminal.

2019_lights3.jpg

The positive wire from the new brake LED was passed through a hole in the lamp holder and in where the wiring harness bayonet fitting is. From there it was soldered to the wiring harness side of the diode. Fly-leads were then soldered to the original tail contact and to the harness side of the diode. 

When the tail light is powered, the tail LED turns on. When the brake system is powered, the original brake LED illuminates as well as the new brake LED. The change in location of the brightness within the wartime housing makes braking more obvious, rather than the original slight increase in brightness in the same location.

Having the brake and tail lights at separate locations within the housing is what Hotchkiss did on their M201 rear lights, redesigning the housing to accommodate two separate bulbs.

In the following picture, the positive wire from the additional brake LED can be seen passing through the lamp housing and into the original wiring harness bayonet fitting. To protect the soldered joints and the diodes, a short length of copper tube was slipped into the bayonet and the whole assembly potted in epoxy resin.

2019_lights4.jpg

The picture below shows the brake and tail light wires exiting from the copper tube and these will be soldered to the wiring harness. To improve reliability, the lamp case and housing had an earth wire soldered between them. The sealed marker light will also be opened up and an LED fitted and this will also have an earth wire soldered on. These can keep the original bayonet fitting from the wiring harness.

2019_lights5.jpg

The last picture shows the tail/brake and the new brake LED's illuminated.

2019_lights6.jpg

February 23rd - Brake Light System Upgrade - Part 2

A few days ago, the new LED's were fitted into the marker lights. On the 23rd, both rear light assemblies were fitted back on the Jeep. Due to the new brake light wire exiting the back of the lamp housing, the unit needed a thin spacer over the mounting bolts so the wire wouldn't get crushed. The brake and tail light contacts on the wiring harness were hard wired and then the original metal plugs were taped onto the copper tubes. 

2019_lights7.jpg

The following GIF shows the marker lights, then tail lights followed by the new brake lights illuminating.

2019_lights8.gif

Once that was done, off to the front end of the Jeep to add the mechanical brake light switch to replace the poorly designed hydraulic unit. I did the same mod to the other Jeep some time ago. This job needed the front left fender off, which also required the horn removed and wiring harness disconnected for good access. It's never easy!

2019_lights9.jpg

The hydraulic design required reasonable brake pressure before the brake lights came on, even when new. This meant I was slowing down before any warning lights illuminated at the back.

The new mechanical switch is on the firewall with a bracket on the brake pedal to depress it. As soon as the brake pedal is touched, the switch is released and the lights come on, well before any braking occurs. So now other drivers get an extra bright brake warning before the Jeep starts to slow.

2019_lights10.jpg

Wires were run in parallel from the existing hydraulic switch to the new mechanical switch.

2019_lights11.jpg

When it came to putting it all back together, of course several of the fender bolt holes wouldn't line up when it came to re-fitting it, so that took some fighting! Then with everything back together, the headlights wouldn't work!! Argggggg!!!

After a bit of prodding and poking around, I found a loose screw on the headlight dip switch, down near the clutch pedal. After tightening that up, everything worked again as it should. By this time I was so exhausted from bending, crawling, lying and poking my hands through holes that were never meant to be big enough, that I just dumped all the tools on the workshop floor and went indoors to clean up and relax. Today I've got to put the workshop straight again.

2019_lights12.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can't believe it is 5 years ago today, since "Hope" returned to the road after my two year rebuild from a wreck. The GPW was actually completed some time before, but as my vehicle insurance was renewing on April 16th, it made sense to start the policy when my other vehicles cover began.

As first found
history1.jpg

During rebuild

restoration19.jpg

The first drive.

bowes5.jpg

Complete and out after a first drive since it died on a Texas farm.

restoration36.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps, it's also my wedding anniversary!!

I did have a run out, but not in the Jeep. I was at an event in Durham in the Dodge. The GPW is next in the list for servicing. I've done the other Jeep and this weekend was spent working on the Dodge. The GPW isn't booked in anywhere until mid June, so plenty of time yet.

• 1 month later...

Tanfield Railway Steam Gala - June 15/16th
Day 1

In previous years, we've only attended the Tanfield Steam Gala for on the Sunday. We've usually been at the Frontline Sedgefield event on Saturday, but this year it wasn't being held. Since my daughter had a dancing rehearsal on Saturday morning, we couldn't take both Jeeps on day one. Instead, we took her "My Little Pony" themed model railway on display, joining two other model railways and a number of trade stalls in the Marley Hill carriage shed.

tanfield_gala2.jpg

While my daughter couldn't be there on Saturday morning, she joined me around lunch time and spent the rest of the day talking ponies to the public. As for the real steam action, due to keeping an eye on the model railway, I was limited to watching the shunting in Marley Hill yard, just outside the door of the carriage shed.

tanfield_gala1.jpg

Day 2

For the second day, we took both Jeeps along to join the Sunderland & District Classic Vehicle Society on display in the field above Marley Hill yard. 

tanfield_gala17.jpg

Soon after arrival, we hopped on the train at Andrews House Station, pulled by No3. Twizell, one of the railway's own locos. The first ride was South, through Causey Arch station and stopping at East Tanfield station for a coffee and cake. Last year, the platform was having new concrete edging fitted. This year, it was all complete and a large area outside the station building was block paved. There's also a fairly new carriage shed.

No.3 Twizell, built in 1891.
tanfield_gala21.jpg

There was a fairly intensive time table for the trains, but unfortunately one of the guest locos suffered a mechanical failure the week before the event and wasn't able to attend. I didn't take as many photos this year but did shoot a lot more video.

Tanfield's own NCB No.49 saddle tank leading guest loco, Great Western No.813 out of Andrews House station.

tanfield_gala32.jpg

The other guest loco was from Beamish open air museum. This loco wasn't fitted with a vacuum system to operate carriage brakes, so it was limited to shunting duties in Marley Hill yard. This mainly involved turning the demonstration coal train around for its next trip.

tanfield_gala55.jpg

We had another ride on the train later in the afternoon but by 16:00 hours, there was a very dark cloud getting close. I'd already started to remove the follow me sign and flags from the Jeep when the first spots of rain started to fall. Thankfully I'd put the canvas roof up on the GPW soon after arriving that morning.

Andrews House station, looking North towards Sunniside.

tanfield_gala30.jpg

We were just leaving the main gate when the clouds let go and dumped their contents. The sun was still out and shining brightly, creating a very strong rainbow, with a very shallow curve and very close to the horizon. All the cars heading in the opposite direction were also followed by rainbows of their own. By half way home, the rain stopped and the Jeeps were dry again by the time I came to put them back in the garage.

tanfield_gala20.jpg

Facebook reminded me this morning, that it was 5 years ago today since my rebuilt GPW made its first public appearance. St Gregory's RC Primary School, in South Shields, were having a big 1940's day to celebrate the anniversary of the school. The weather was warm and sunny, and there was a great turn out of parents and family. There was a great deal of interest in the stereoscope from the children, fascinated by the 3D image it produced. 

school1.jpg

school3.jpg

school5.jpg

June 18th - Wiper Replacement 

While I was out at Tanfield at the weekend, I noticed the drivers wiper blade was now almost completely sheared from the metal holder. It's been on its way out for some time and was on its last legs. I'd replaced the other wiper three years ago with one of two spare blades I had in stock. The first picture shows the original packet of the new blade and the separated metal and rubber of the old blade.

2019_wiper1.jpg

The replacements were a slightly different design, with two thin strips of rubber clamped into the metal holder. The version that sheared had one piece of rubber that looked like two letter 'T's on top of each other, with the top of the top 'T' clamped in the metal. This left a thin single piece of rubber to absorb all the flexing of the blade. The end of the splayed rivet that held the blade into the arm was crushed to allow the rivet to be withdrawn, the old blade removed and the new one fitted.

2019_wiper2.jpg

A centre punch was then used to splay the rivet end out again to secure the new blade to the arm.

2019_wiper3.jpg