I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

With the first hold up ground down with the angle grinder through the hole, the tub started to move, but was still stuck in the middle. More floor was cut out until the angle iron support for the bodged floor was cut free from under the gun pedestal mount. With that done, the tub was finally free from the chassis.

0054.jpg

The tub was then connected to my chain hoist and lifted slightly and pulled back to allow me the space to reach the throttle linkage attached to the back of the crankcase. After that, the steering gearbox and steering column were removed. This was the last thing stopping the tub/engine/chassis separation. Once that was off, the tub was lifted about eighteen inches clear of the chassis. If I'd persisted, I could have probably removed the tub on my own, but I would then be stuck unable to move the tub out of the way to put the chassis back in the garage.

0055.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

With the back of the tub up on large wood blocks, the front was lifted on my chain hoist. The tub will now wait until tomorrow when a friend is coming around to help me lift it off and also to help remove the engine and gearbox.

0056.jpg

Here's the steering gear box. It's covered in about 1/4 inch of crud that probably dates back to the war.

0057.jpg

Today wasn't such hard work, just stripping and cleaning the light bowls. The brackets were quite bent, but I think can be straightened and reused. I'll leave the straightening until it's all going back together so they can be twisted to fit, rather than guessing the shape based those on my other Jeep.

0058.jpg

The large bolts that hold the bowls onto the brackets are also 'f' marked.

0059.jpg

Vulture said:
Steve

Thanks for sharing....

Pleasure. It's been threads like this that have given me the confidence and know how to tackle jobs like this in the first place!

Anyway, another busy day today, and we got much further than expected, I think mainly because the tub was already in a position to lift straight off. If as originally planned, we'd started today with detaching the tub, half the day would have been wasted just releasing it from the chassis.

With the tub already free, we tied a rope around the front and back, with a large knot in the middle where the hoist hook would go. This would stop the hook slipping along the rope if the tub tried to tip. It was then lifted high enough to clear the chassis, although it wanted to tip backwards. I held the rear in the air clear, and Mike rolled the chassis out from under it.

0062.jpg

The tub was then tipped on its side, lifted onto a small trolley, and wheeled through my workshop and lifted/dragged out onto the patio out of the way. There's still a few small components that need stripping off the tub.

0063.jpg

The engine mounts were disconnected next, along with the prop shaft joints to the transfer case. The rear prop shaft four bolts were so tight/seized, that turning the spanner/socket was just rolling the Jeep back and forwards, even yesterday when the tub was still on and it was all chocked still in the garage. It took brute force with a pneumatic chisle, a few minutes with each nut before they started to turn. Once moving, we were able to get a spanner on what remained of the nut and undo them. Reaching the bolt head on the inside of the handbrake drum was also a bit of a nightmare. They could really have done with being spot welded when they were put in.

So, with the engine all disconnected, the chassis was rolled back into the garage so the engine was under the hoist, the engine and gearbox were roped up and lifted clear. The chassis was then rolled back on to the drive again, and the engine lowered onto the garage floor for further stripping.

0064.jpg

0065.jpg

Further engine ancilleries were removed, and then the gearbox/transfer case/bell housing dropped off the back. This will be going to a friendly local gearbox rebuilder to check over and let me know what parts need ordering. The bell housing was later separated from the gearbox.

0066.jpg

The pistons are all marked at 0.030", so there's a bit more meat in them yet for further boring. Number one piston however was in back to front! That's Mike's hands in the latex gloves. I don't know how he can work with them, as whenever I try, they last about three seconds before I rip them open on something!

0067.jpg

Cracking along nicely there.

Know exactly what you mean about latex gloves, I thing mine came with holes.

Wish I had a garage I could get down both sides of a vehicle and past the end.

Mind you I get moaned at about the 1 and a half Land Rover wings on the patio.

Sorry half a patio, I think that might be the real problem.:-|

Mike

The engine was then turned over and the sump removed. There was some lovely sludge in there. I haven't yet diluted the remains of the engine oil and checked it over with a magnet. The oil intake from the sump was thick with sludge. I couldn't say when this engine last saw fresh oil!

0068.jpg

The conrods were separated from the crank and pistons dropped out, with all the parts carefully bagged and labelled. There's some slight marks on the crankshaft where the big ends seat, but like the gearbox, we've a friendly company who can regrind if necessary. The cam shaft and its gears all look in good condition, but can't come out until I can borrow the tool for the valve springs.

0069.jpg

After a tidy up in the garage, all the engine components were carried through to the workshop, and the chassis was rolled back into the garage. There's a lot more space in there now that the tub is off! It's surprising how much space an engine takes once it's in pieces!

0072.jpg

0073.jpg

Cracking along nicely there.

.....Mind you I get moaned at about the 1 and a half Land Rover wings on the patio......

Mike

Since we've still got a ton and a half of hardcore and building sand on the patio, I don't see the addition of a Jeep body being a big issue!

I've also had a quick check, and I stared working on the Jeep seven weeks ago, although I've only worked on it for sixteen days.

The thermostat housing is all cleaned up now, showing its 'f' mark.

0075.jpg

The old baby bath was the largest container I had for washing parts, though I'm not sure you'd want to put a baby in there any more. Here, the crankshaft having a wash down.

0077.jpg

The clutch bell housing part way through cleaning the paint off the outside with a rotary wire brush. It had already been jet washed to get the crap out.

0080.jpg

The cylinder head was also cleaned with the wire brush, and while the cylinder head still needs a skim before reassembly, it was given a coat of red oxide just to keep surface rust at bay for now.

0081.jpg

A number of other engine components have been cleaned and primed.

0082.jpg

The steering gearbox was covered in a thick hard crust of who knows what. Even tapping it with a hammer and small screwdriver, I found it hard to chip away, so I left it soaking overnight.

0083.jpg

After the main block was jet washed, it was towel dried and placed by a heater to dry it out. The bores, bearing surfaces and cam shaft ( still fitted as I'm waiting to borrow a valve tool ) were then oiled.

0084.jpg

If it were that easy, my hands wouldn't be covered in cuts and grazes from the rotary wire brushes! I don't trust gloves however, in case of the chance the glove snatches in the wire brush and wraps my whole arm around the drill!

Yesterday I also ordered a full gasket and seal kit for the engine, plus a few other small missing engine parts.

I had a day off today, but yesterday did more cleaning and priming. Before that, the pistons were given a light oiling before being wrapped up. I've a retired friend who is an experienced engine rebuilder, and he's going to look over all the parts before re-assembly, so everything will be prepared and taken over to him shortly.

0085.jpg

The clutch bell housing took some cleaning, both with a jet washer to remove the oil, grease, insect nests and who knows what else, then the layers of paint removed with a rotary wire brush.

0086.jpg

The sump looking fresh again. Looking at the state of the copper washer on the sump plug, I think it is the same one on the Jeep when it left the factory.

0087.jpg

The intake pipe bracket needed some welding after cleaning up, and that too was primed.

0088.jpg

Today I started work on the transmitter for the Dodge, manufacturing one of the missing end panels for the radio case, and out with the family this afternoon.