I've been spending again! My '43 GPW

Jessie The Jeep

A week later, and it is still floating quite happily, so as soon as Croft is out of the way, I'll get the sender out and have a go. I think I'll probably need to give the existing cork a light sand to aid evaporation and drying of the float, to remove whatever sealer was on there before. I'd better make sure it is a thin coat of epoxy as I don't want it sinking under the weight of glue!!

I have spent a good week reading this thread on and off, and what a fantastic read it was. Being a newbie I know very little about the scene yet, how ever I can appreciate the time and attention to detail.

Fantastic skills in all area's, do you have a past in fabrication etc, or is it self taught? My aim is to own a Jeep and restore, but this thread is somewhat daunting in regards to the skills required to achieve it!

I dip my hat to you!

Thanks, pleased you enjoyed the read. Threads like this were a great help to me when I started out with my first Jeep back in 2005. It doesn't take much effort to share what I've learned, and build threads can be a great aid to understanding a vehicle without having to pull it to pieces yourself!

I've been a model maker as a hobby and as a profession for most of my life, with all my skills self taught. Working in metal is just a bit different to what I'm used to, more messy, heavier, but many of the skills are similar.

I'd never been interested in vehicle maintenance until getting my first Jeep, and then just took it slowly with simple stuff at first, gradually building towards more complicated jobs. This GPW was my first vehicle rebuild, and it was a huge learning curve, but I don't think anything about it was particularly difficult. Heavy work at times, messy most of the time, taking up two to three times the space of a parked vehicle, but very satisfying and very educational.

I'm looking forwards to having the GPW on display along with my other Jeep and Dodge for the first time this weekend at Croft Circuit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

News on the Ford. At Croft I had starting problems. I've been suspecting the 6v starter was at fault, even though it is running on 12v. Today took the battery to Halfords for testing, as it was only 10 months old. Test test showed it was ok, but the starter was unable to get the engine past compression. It has also been making some burning smells with the effort of it all, so it looks like I was right with my first guess that the starter was at fault. I've splashed out on a new 12 volt one to replace the 6 volt original that is fitted. At some point in the future, I'll either sell on the 6v one for refurbishment, or get it rewound and sell it on.

To replace the starter, the air filter had to come out, and the battery was already out from being tested. This left plenty of room to get in at the starter mounting bolts. After a good prime, the engine turned over easily and started without trouble. I went for a couple of short drives, and adjusted the brake pedal free play while I was on, then did my first school run in a Jeep, much to the delight of my daughter!

Here's the old starter out...

2014_starter3.jpg

...and the new one back in.

2014_starter5.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

• 3 weeks later...

Since Croft in August, the Ford has needed a good wash to get the mud off, but I didn't fancy pushing a wet Jeep back into the garage. With the new starter motor fitted, and the Jeep back up and running again, it is now easy to get it in and out of the garage. For the cost of six sweeties, little legs did most of the donkey work, getting soaking wet in the process, but having a wonderful time! Anyway, she needs to look after her inheritance!

2014_childwash1.jpg

2014_childwash3.jpg

Since getting the Jeep on the road, the fuel tank gauge hasn't worked. This was traced to the sender, and more exactly, a cork float that wasn't floating. The float was absorbing fuel and sinking.

Back in July, I made a sample cork float, coated in epoxy to seal it. This was placed in a jar of petrol and left. A week later, it was still floating. No more progress was made until today, when the jar was inspected and the cork sample was found still floating.

2014_sender1.jpg

The next step was to remove the sender from the tank. It was given a quick dry and the varnish that had been on was sanded off. The float was then left in front of a hair dryer to completely dry out.

2014_sender2.jpg

Once the petrol had evaporated out, it was placed in a sink of water, to check that it would actually float; and it did! Before it got too wet, it was removed and dried again.

2014_sender3.jpg

It had another good bake in front of the hair dryer and then I started mixing epoxy to coat the cork. Once it was touch dry, it was left in the airing cupboard to harden off and fully cure. After a while curing, it was refitted and connected up.

2014_sender4.jpg

With the ignition on, the fuel gauge lifted up to the empty mark, but there isn't a huge amount of fuel in right now. After bouncing the Jeep side to side on its springs, I could see the gauge needle lifting and falling slightly, so I think I've got it sorted. I'm hoping to attend the aircraft museum Remembrance service on Sunday, so I'll add some more fuel then which will hopefully show the problem is fixed.

Remembrance Weekend - November 8/9th

In preparation for the Remembrance Service at the aircraft museum on Sunday 9th, I took 'Hope' out on the 8th to get fuel and give her a run around. It was also a chance to test out the modifications to the fuel tank sender float. The reworked cork float, still wasn't floating in petrol, although it did manage it in water. As a temporary measure, I've fitted a plastic 35mm film container as a float, and this is working. I'd like to get a replacement cork float if possible, but that's not urgent.

These two pictures were from the local drive.

remembrance1.jpg

remembrance2.jpg

Remembrance Service at the N.E. Land Sea and Air Museum

Sunday afternoon was the Remembrance Service. It was dry, clear sky, sunny, and surprisingly warm for a week into November. There were around two dozen people there, which included a group of Brownies and their leaders. I was wondering if I was going to get there when the starter gear jammed in the disengaged position, but a few whacks with a spanner freed it, and it was fine for the trip home. Perhaps the new starter just needs running in and freeing up?

This site was the former RAF Usworth airfield, which for one brief period was a USAAF Night Fighter training base. It is tucked away in the North East of England, far from the usual concentration of USAAF activity. Considering my 8th AF interest, and my 100th BG vehicles, it's nice to think there was a USAAF presence only 4 miles from my house.

nelsam1.jpg

nelsam2.jpg

nelsam3.jpg

nelsam4.jpg

• 1 month later...

With 86 miles on the clock following the Remembrance Service, I decided I wanted to reach 100 before the year was out. So yesterday, I fitted a couple of compact cameras to brackets on the Jeep so I could shoot some video while I was out.

There were a couple of little jobs to sort too. The accelerator would occasionally stick when fully depressed, and this was traced to the throttle linkage catching the bracket that holds the throttle return spring. The bracket was adjusted slightly and that fixed it. The idle screw was also adjusted as the engine would occasionally cut at idle when stopping at lights etc. Oil and anti-freeze were also checked.

remembrance3.jpg

By the time I got back from the trip around Washington, the speedo read 100.8 miles. The cameras were removed, and while the roads weren't salty, they were wet, so the Jeep given a hose down.

• 3 months later...

I've no idea about film, and I'd expect developing costs would be huge, unless I did it myself ( which I have done in the past ). This is mainly just a photo related accessory to go with the Jeep, stereoscope and aerial photos, helping to add to the photo related diorama. A bit of a search on the net last night also resulted in finding a PDF manual for the K-20 camera. I'll add some photos once it arrives.

The K-20 camera was missing its case, but as a result, didn't reach the price that boxed versions have done. Based on the serial number, it appears to have been manufactured in 1945.

The K20 was designed by Fairchild, and approximately 15,000 were manufactured under licence by Folmer Graflex Corp in Rochester, NY between 1941 and 1945. It used a 5 1/4" wide film on reels from 20 to 200 feet in length, producing a 5 x 4 inch image. The lens is a 6 3/8" f4.5 with an adjustable diaphragm, and made by Kodak, Ilex and Bausch & Lomb.

It weighs 11 3/4 pounds loaded, and measures 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 11 inches. It will give 50 images with a 1/2 inch space between negatives from a 20 feet long reel of film.

k20e.jpg

k20d.jpg

k20a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While the Dodge and M201 have seen all the action so far this year, on Wednesday May 27th, the GPW was loaded up onto the trailer for a few days away in Norfolk and Suffolk. After missing the Battlegroup North show due to illness, and another show being cancelled, we decided to use the fuel money on a trip to Debach airfield, the home of the 493rd Bombardment Group. The last time we were there was 2010, so we were overdue a visit! "Jessie" had been there a number of times, so this time we took "Hope", although there was also another reason for bringing "Hope" on this trip. It was a nice drive down, and there was a lovely sunny evening to relax in. We were camping on the airfield, and set up on the edge of the old Technical Site.

deb_thurs1.jpg

We took the opportunity to go for a short drive around the airfield, and down to the tower for some pictures. Lynne drove the GPW down to the tower, and parked up for the pictures, but then couldn't get the Jeep to move again. The engine was revving as if just in neutral. It turned out that one of us must have knocked the four wheel drive select into neutral, while swapping around for photos!

deb_thurs7.jpg

As the Sun began to set, the Moon was already high in the sky above the control tower. Both the Sun and the Moon gave some nice pictures to end the first day. The following day was to be a non-military day, visiting the near by Sutton Hoo National Trust property.

deb_thurs15.jpg

deb_thurs18.jpg

deb_thurs19.jpg