Some men are born MV enthusiasts and some have MV thrust upon them

alixcompo

Question

I probably am stupid but.....

Having bought a 1957/8 Bedford CA MK1 as a restoration project I now discover it is an ex Naval runabout.

I am aware that the rules of restoration are 1: Don't break anything and 2: Don't throw anything away. Now I can add to that, 3: Don't rub the paintwork down too hard or you can obliterate any previous serial numbers and hence history.

So where do I go from here? You are all Army vehicle types, armour plate and armaments with drab green in your veins.

Who cares about RN stuff then?

My missus was expecting two tone cream and maroon. How can I tell her that Navy blue will look great and that white lettering is historically significant

Is there some clandestine group who slink about at classic vehicle shows in a 'Naval Vehicle' area..?

I don't think that I have ever seen them. So where do old RN vehicles go if they don't float...?

Help

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

It's a bit odd about the lettering. The only body markings were on the front doors and they were just the vehicle number.

So I'm not sure what marking it should have or if they shoud be stenciled or vinyl lettering.

It's a bit odd about the lettering. The only body markings were on the front doors and they were just the vehicle number.

So I'm not sure what marking it should have or if they shoud be stenciled or vinyl lettering.

If it helps, I bought quite a few vehicles of that era out of the Navy in the early '90s, mostly Bedfords, mostly in their original paint. None of them really had any lettering to speak of apart from 'RN' on the sides (and only some had that), tyre pressures and 'diesel' or 'petrol' by the fuel filler. The lettering was occasionally vinyl but normally painted (proper signwriting, not stencils).

For some reason the picture of a van with the letter's Royal Navy in white about 2 inch high on each side comes to mind. The vehicles were quite plain compared to Army and Air Force ones. (We were more proud of our Grey Floaty things, colequailly known as 'Her Majesty's War Canoes :-D)

Alixcompo,

Here is a photo of an early Bedford CA in the Royal Navy. On the front door you can just make out the registration number in small letters (same as on number plate).

I have also seen the depot name in small letters on the doors of RN vehicles in 60's to 80's period.

RN Bed CA.JPG

Alixcompo,

Here is a photo of an early Bedford CA in the Royal Navy. On the front door you can just make out the registration number in small letters (same as on number plate).

I have also seen the depot name in small letters on the doors of RN vehicles in 60's to 80's period.

So what is the black and white floaty thing in the background? Training ship?

Could be the Sir Winston Churchill or the Malcom Miller . Both operated in the 1960's. Beutiful ships. Scrap that!! More likley T.S. Royalist the Sea Cadet traing ship. She came into service 1971/72.

Edited by Tony B

Could be the Sir Winston Churchill or the Malcom Miller . Both operated in the 1960's. Beutiful ships. Scrap that!! More likley T.S. Royalist the Sea Cadet traing ship. She came into service 1971/72.

It was actually the TS Arethusa - a training ship, probably moored at Upnor

Edited by Richard Farrant