WW1 Napier 30cwt lorry

G506

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Gordon,

sorry its been so long, minor house disasters including water tank failures have kept me busy for far too long.

Slow progress on the Napier, however I have had luck collecting parts together, including head lamps, side lamps and rear lamps, some of which are WD stamped (very nice), as well as a full set of lamp brackets front and rear. Currently trying to track down a sterring box and column which may have surfaced, I'll keep you posted. Work should start on a shed at the bottom of the garden in a couple of months so she can come home, finally!

My PM inbox now has some room after I deleted a few messages!

Edited by G506

• 10 months later...

It's been a while since I updated this thread, so I thought you may want to see these photos!

I had a couple of very nice finds at Beaulieu Autojumble on Saturday, the first was a very unusual (1918 and onwards) RAF stamped horn;

WP_20150906_006.jpg

WP_20150906_007.jpg

The second, well I could'nt believe my luck..............

WP_20150905_004 - Copy.jpg

I never thought I would find one! Not cheap, but it had to come home home with me. The chances of ever finding another had to be zero. Mrs G506 doesnt know how much it cost, I think it needs to stay that way!

The second, well I couldn't believe my luck..............

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107712[/ATTACH]

Not cheap, but it had to come home with me. The chances of ever finding another had to be zero.

Not quite zero, but certainly close to it - well done, regardless of price. You do realise you are probably the only person on the planet that actually needed it, tho?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107712[/ATTACH]

I never thought I would find one! Not cheap, but it had to come home home with me. The chances of ever finding another had to be zero. Mrs G506 doesnt know how much it cost, I think it needs to stay that way!

Mrs G506 quite proudly showed me this today! Good find 😊

You do realise you are probably the only person on the planet that actually needed it, tho?

Hi Gordon,

I'm not so sure actually, as I have a feeling they were fitted to other Napier commercials and cars, with a small handful currently either awaiting or undergoing restoration. Mind you, I expect some of those still have the original switch in place!

Maybe you're right!

• 4 years later...

Well firstly, I hope you're all staying safe, and aren't climbing the walls what with social distancing, etc.  I find myself stuck in a hotel for work, not sure when I am going to leave, and thought it might be a good moment to update this thread (five years since my last post!).

The update is - there's no major news! The hunt for an engine and gearbox continues, no leads so far, but I did manage to track down a gentleman who owned an engine, unfortunately 30 years ago! I desperately hope that engine still exists, and is laying forgotten at the back of a workshop somewhere. I suspect when the time comes I will have to put a non-standard engine in. My chassis should at least come out of storage this year and into its new home in the garage, and I think I have sufficient parts to at least make a good start on it sometime soon.

Stay safe in these worrying times, and don't forget that self isolation doesn't have to be in the house, it could be in the workshop! 

😀

Edited by G506
Shocking grammar
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, G506 said:

The hunt for an engine and gearbox continues, no leads so far, but I did manage to track down a gentleman who owned an engine, unfortunately 30 years ago! I desperately hope that engine still exists, and is laying forgotten at the back of a workshop somewhere. 

Keep looking,  It took me 29 trips over about 16 years to locate another engine for my 1916 Albion A10.  I had found a front axle for it in the New South Wales town of Cooma and was informed that an engine existed somewhere in the local area.  Before the 29th trip looking for it, my son said," Give it away Dad. You won't find it."  Stubborn I am and the 29th trip proved fruitful and I found the engine in a privet bush.

49 minutes ago, G506 said:

😀

mvc-001s.jpg

mvc-002s.jpg

mvc-004s.jpg

mvc-009s.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Gordon_M said:

Well it took a hundred years to get in that state, so a few more won't hurt.  Avoid the Minibar at all costs. 8-)

Hiya Gordon,

nice to hear from you. Thankfully, the minibar isn't stocked in my room, otherwise that could get expensive!

37 minutes ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

Keep looking,  It took me 29 trips over about 16 years to locate another engine for my 1916 Albion A10.  I had found a front axle for it in the New South Wales town of Cooma and was informed that an engine existed somewhere in the local area.  Before the 29th trip looking for it, my son said," Give it away Dad. You won't find it."  Stubborn I am and the 29th trip proved fruitful and I found the engine in a privet bush.

Hi Rick,

thanks for the wise words - never give up is the moral, I guess!

I thought now might be a nice time to share some of the parts I have acquired since 2015.

I was hoping to find a photo of it, so far unsuccessfully, but a very nice find at Beaulieu Autojumble (I think it was 2018) was what looks like an original bulkhead sidelight bracket. Just one, not a pair, but I was over the moon.

£15 if memory serves - result!

• 1 month later...

So, it took me a while, but here is a photo of that sidelight bracket

bracket.jpeg.png

Edited by G506
Forgot how to post a picture.......
  • Like 1

I took 20 years to find the correct grill for one of my cars, eventually I found one in New Zealand and it cost more to ship it over than it cost buying it!

Keep looking, an engine is out there somewhere and it will be worth it in the end. Very much worth it.

Hi Rootes,

thanks for that. Yes, I have a feeling there is indeed the right engine somewhere, fingers crossed there's a gearbox next to it 😀