WW1 Napier 30cwt lorry

G506

Thats a shame, but very interesting as well. Where are they kept and in what sort of condition?

Thanks

Tim

I check existences and,

1- FIAT 15 Ter

2- Kelly-Springfield

In fire brigades, keep inside,and restored.

I own an Latil TAR for restoring missing many parts and keep outside

dscf8075i.jpg

I check existences and,

1- FIAT 15 Ter

2- Kelly-Springfield

dscf8075i.jpg

Fernando,

she's a beauty! And you have a lot of the important parts there

• 2 months later...
Last photo from WWI Napier's,

image0002g.jpg

Haven't posted much about the Napier for quite some time now, but a question; Can anyone identify the make/model of headlight that Napiers used? This photo, as posted by Portugal, shows what appears to be the common type, very clearly.

I will post this in the WW1 headlight thread also.

An attractive alternative to olive drab - a home front Napier, taken from The Motor World October 7, 1915:

The Government recently gave their permission to the various motor car manufacturers to deliver a limited number of vehicles to firms and traders in the country engaged on Government work. This was undoubtedly a timely move on the part of the authorities, as many firms who are straining every effort to supply war material have been handicapped by the lack of adequate motor transport. On this page we illustrate one of the first vehicles to be delivered by Messrs. D. Napier and Son Ltd. This was supplied to Lang Propeller Co. Ltd., Weybridge, who have large contracts for propeller blades used in connection with the air service. The chassis is the well-known 30-45 cwt. Napier model, which has been supplied in large numbers to the British and Allied Governments.

Napier.jpg

I check existences and,

1- FIAT 15 Ter

2- Kelly-Springfield

dscf8075i.jpg

Is it front wheel drive as I cant see a diff on the rear axle, the axle tubes are far too small for half shafts also there are what seems to be reduction gears on the front hubs just behind the spokes :wow: Tell us more.

My second Napier is at the Overlord Show near Portsmouth this weekend; if you're about pop in for a chat!

• 1 month later...

What a fantastic photo, thanks for posting that, Steve! A very clear photo, Very useful for showing detail and fittings.

:tup::

• 2 weeks later...

I took part in the Trans Pennine Run yesterday.

Nice to see 3 trucks from the WW1 era at the event.

The Ex-Sharp 1915 Napier truck now fitted with a open top bus body attended at Harrogate, it ran very well.

There was also a 1919 Albion A10 in civilian colours first time out which completed the run.

I will post links to images when I see them put up on the net.

Tom

Is it front wheel drive as I cant see a diff on the rear axle, the axle tubes are far too small for half shafts also there are what seems to be reduction gears on the front hubs just behind the spokes :wow: Tell us more.

They were 4x4 and I think 4 wheel steer, but I don't know how the drive was arranged.

The ex. Sharp collection Napier was one of nine WW 1 period commercials found in undergrowth behind Beedon's garage in Northampton in 1963. Beedons ran a transport business along with buses and coaches and when no longer required some of the vehicles were 'put out to grass' behind the garage. There were six assorted A.E.C /Daimlers, one McCurd and two Napiers. The Sharp vehicle was bodied by John Mitchell in the early 1970s at the time he built several similar LGOC 'B' type bodies on modern chassis, the one at Beaulieu is one of these. The other Napier, a larger 3 ton in reasonably complete condition was sold at Stamford Hall rally in about 1965 and is still unrestored with the person who bought it at that time.

Richard Peskett.

• 3 weeks later...
The ex. Sharp collection Napier was one of nine WW 1 period commercials found in undergrowth behind Beedon's garage in Northampton in 1963. Beedons ran a transport business along with buses and coaches and when no longer required some of the vehicles were 'put out to grass' behind the garage. There were six assorted A.E.C /Daimlers, one McCurd and two Napiers. The Sharp vehicle was bodied by John Mitchell in the early 1970s at the time he built several similar LGOC 'B' type bodies on modern chassis, the one at Beaulieu is one of these. The other Napier, a larger 3 ton in reasonably complete condition was sold at Stamford Hall rally in about 1965 and is still unrestored with the person who bought it at that time.

Richard Peskett.

Hi Richard,

I think I have spoken to the owner of the 3 tonner, hoping to pay him a visit later this year

• 4 months later...

Hello all.

No real progress of late, as all efforts are concentrated on the Chevy restoration and family stuff. However, I was lucky enough to have a pair of headlamps pushed my way by a friend; not 100% correct style, but close enough, very pleased.

Only a small step forward, but a step in the right direction!

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

very little activity from me on the Napier of late, mainly due to buying a new house, but happy to report yesterday I have made a big step forward, in the shape of a radiator.

I am one VERY happy boy!

DSCF1909.jpg

DSCF1911.jpg

Edited by G506