WW1 Napier 30cwt lorry

G506

Ben H who is a regular contributor to this forum has had some experience of this and may be able to guide you in the right direction in the way that he coped with it and give you details of the company that he dealt with.......... And possibly some idea of the costs, too!

However did you hear of this chassis, by the way? Sounds as if there might be more of a story there!

Tony

nptimber on this forum was a big help with tracking down the second chassis, as well as Tim (who has been a huge source of help throughout).

I am starting to think that the model I have, which I believe to be the B62 is a lot scarcer than I realised. I have made contact with a few Napier lorry owners worldwide, but I've yet to hear of another B62, other than a very stripped chassis in Oz. It may be that when mine is done it will be the only restored example. Happy to be corrected on this though!

Thanks for the Ben H recommendation, I will make contact with him.

I had a worm shaft made by Turner Gears of Wolverhampton; it cost GBP750. I considered doing most of the machining myself and just leaving the hobbing to the gear cutters but there was not much of a cost saving. Some of my friends helped were very generous and helped towards the cost for my 30th Birthday!

The worm wheel I have used was from a slightly different back axle (but the same hub design and centre distance) so I had to mix the worm thread from one design with the bearing drive mechanism and bearing assembly from another. I had to take dimensions from the axle case to verify the centre distance and then worked the thread data back from there.

There is of mistakes in this image (I must upload the proper one).

Here is the worm shaft as we are about to put the casings together.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

Ben

Wormshaft.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

I had a worm shaft made by Turner Gears of Wolverhampton; it cost GBP750. I considered doing most of the machining myself and just leaving the hobbing to the gear cutters but there was not much of a cost saving. Some of my friends helped were very generous and helped towards the cost for my 30th Birthday!

The worm wheel I have used was from a slightly different back axle (but the same hub design and centre distance) so I had to mix the worm thread from one design with the bearing drive mechanism and bearing assembly from another. I had to take dimensions from the axle case to verify the centre distance and then worked the thread data back from there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58140[/ATTACH]

There is of mistakes in this image (I must upload the proper one).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58141[/ATTACH]

Here is the worm shaft as we are about to put the casings together.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

Ben

Hi Ben,

sorry for the late reply. That worm shaft is a very nice piece of work! In my head I had a figure up to a thousand pounds to get a new one machined for mine, so thats about right. I havent had a chance to open up the diff to check condition of the rest of it, not sure what horrors I will discover when I do! Thanks for posting those bits :-D

Looks like a big job good luck and keep me posted on how its going

Shane.

Hi Shane,

it certainly is going to be a big job. I wont be starting it for some time though, I need to finish the Chevy restoration, then the jeep, but in the meantime I will continue to hunt for bits and info on the Napier.

Cheers :-D

Hi Shane,

no thread on the Chevy restoration, I may start one later. Happy to email you a few photos if you're interested?

Yes i would like it if you could email me some pics, thanks :D

Hi Shane,

I will sort that over the next couple of days for you :)

Hello, I'am Fernando Martins from Portugal.

Portuguese Army use Napier's in WWI and I may have some GOOOD photos....

I'am going to look for and post them later.

Hi Fernando,

I did'nt realise that! Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures

:thumbsup:

Edited by G506

Hello, I'am Fernando Martins from Portugal.

Portuguese Army use Napier's in WWI and I may have some GOOOD photos....

I'am going to look for and post them later.

Thats very interesting. I did not know that. Did any of these Napiers make their way back to Portugal or were they left behind in France? I would be very interested in seeing what you find.

Thanks

Tim

Those are very interesting photographs. When did Portugal dispose of their Napiers? Are there any survivors perhaps?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

No Napiers arrrives our days.

In WWI Portugal used Napiers, FIAT's 15-TER, Kelly's Springfields and LATIL's TAR.

Fernando

Hi,

Here are the photos,

Taken in 1916 in TANCOS ,

Was the preparation of Portuguese troops for WWI.

I keep the best one for the end..........

image0rz.jpg

image0001g.jpg

Hi Fernando,

thanks for posting these! They are superb quality as well, some of the best quality Napier photos I have yet seen, they show detail very clearly

:tup::

Hi Tim,

No Napiers arrrives our days.

In WWI Portugal used Napiers, FIAT's 15-TER, Kelly's Springfields and LATIL's TAR.

Fernando

Fernando,

I wonder how many Napiers were in service with Portugese forces?