Diamond T & Ward La-France in the Swiss Army

After the war the Swiss Army acquired quite a bunch of Ward La-France and Diamond T Wreckers. These were used for tank recovery and on airfields.

Unfortunately, all these wreckers had the same manufacturing year stated on their "Swiss" building plate. Here are some wreckers I know of:

Ward LaFrance (2nd number is the chassis number)

1943, 535364, M1A1 Model 1000 Series 5

1943, 422090, M1 Model 1000 Series 2

1943, 545315, M1A1 Model 1000 Series 5

1943, 434370, M1 Model 1000 Series 4

Kenworth

1943, 52287, Model 570 (1941)

Diamond T969

1943, 969B0005

1943, 969A0988

Does anybody know how/where I can source these actual building dates (month/year)?

Thanks very much

Chris

Hi Chris,

Bart Vanderveen's Wheels and Tracks no.3 has an extensive article on WLF and Kenworth Heavy Wreckers. It includes a lot of information on build dates and chassis nos. but admits these are vague as the information varies depending on source.

For Ward laFrance the first two digits are the year of manufacture so eg. chassis no. 43XXXX would be 1943. From Series 5 the first digit of the chassis no. is a 5.

For the vehicles you list the build dates are therefore as follows:

Ward LaFrance (2nd number is the chassis number)

1943, 535364, M1A1 Model 1000 Series 5 - 1943

1943, 422090, M1 Model 1000 Series 2 – 1942

1943, 545315, M1A1 Model 1000 Series 5 - 1944

1943, 434370, M1 Model 1000 Series 4 - 1943

Kenworth

1943, 52287, Model 570 (1941) – agree 1941

As for the month, the only thing you can do is take the series of chassis nos. and the period in which they were built and do a little maths to work out approximately when in that period a particular truck came out. You are unlikely to get this any more accurate.

I would thoroughly recommend the Wheels and Tracks article as an authoritative source of information on these trucks.

Regards - Mike

Edited by TooTallMike
Didn't make sense...

Hi Mike

Thanks a lot for your information. This is very helpful to me!

I think I even got that W&T No 3 somewhere in my collection. I'll look it up. I didn't expect it to be so "easy" to tell the manufacturing year from the chassis no.

Many thanks again

Chris

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

... if anybody is planning a trip to Switzerland in the near future. On Saturday October 17, 2015, there will be the 2nd public day in Burgdorf at the Stiftung HAM. You can see +300 Swiss MV's!! Here are my pics from 2010 (1st opening day)

There will also be the launch of a new book about Swiss MV's from 1900 - 2015, where I'm one of the co-authors.

Edited by zemsi

• 8 months later...

I have both a Diamond T wrecker and a series 5 Ward La France i think they are both ex Swiss, the Diamond T has larger cable reels on the twin boom and different lighting
Your Ward LaFrance is clearly a former Swiss Army. On top of the cab is written " L Pz 51". That means Leicht Panzer 51 (light tank) and refers to the AMX-13. Referring to your Diamond it's hard to tell. Glad to see some more survivors. If you write me the chassis numbers by PM I can probably tell you the Swiss Army's registration number. Greetings Chris

I have both a Diamond T wrecker and a series 5 Ward La France i think they are both ex Swiss, the Diamond T has larger cable reels on the twin boom and different lighting[ATTACH=CONFIG]112605[/ATTACH]

I just spotted the RE Scammell tractor in your barn, do you know its military reg?

• 2 weeks later...
Your Ward LaFrance is clearly a former Swiss Army. On top of the cab is written " L Pz 51". That means Leicht Panzer 51 (light tank) and refers to the AMX-13. Referring to your Diamond it's hard to tell. Glad to see some more survivors. If you write me the chassis numbers by PM I can probably tell you the Swiss Army's registration number. Greetings Chris

Hi

on My Ward LaFrance why does it have L Pz 51, referring to the AMX-13?

Hi on My Ward LaFrance why does it have L Pz 51, referring to the AMX-13?
... because your Wardi was used in the tank repair platoon. Wreckers were used at airfields and in the tank repair plattons.. Your Wardi was probably latest used in a Platoon were only AMX-13 were used (no Centurions and Swiss Pz 61/68).

... because your Wardi was used in the tank repair platoon. Wreckers were used at airfields and in the tank repair plattons.. Your Wardi was probably latest used in a Platoon were only AMX-13 were used (no Centurions and Swiss Pz 61/68).

Thank you very much that's very interesting information, I will have a look soon and get you the serial numbers.

Richard

... have a look here and here

http://www.militaerfahrzeuge.ch/unterkategorie_11_8_330.html

http://www.militaerfahrzeuge.ch/unterkategorie_11_8_75.html

The tank troops used 60 Ward LaFrance, the airfield troops only 30. From nearly every series the Swiss used them.

Two friends and I recently published a 300 pages hardcover book about all Swiss Army Vehicles and Tanks, from 1900 - 2015. We discovered some more information about Ward LaFrance and Diamond Wrecker usage in the Swiss Army. However, I won't publish that in the internet because it took a lot of research....

17089436477_08f79fa231.jpg

Book «Fahrzeuge der Schweizer Armee» (2015) by Chris

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113008[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]113009[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]113010[/ATTACH] Do the clues point to this Diamond T being ex Swiss

also as well as the gauge and the light being different, the tire pattern the cable reels, and you can just see where the green has flaked off, gray underneath on the bumper and fuel tank.