CCKW - Temperate Gauge Reading Puzzle

Vulture

Yep, fully aware of the cycle of a common t/stat. If people did not know even when fully open the t/stat will still restrict the water flow and sometimes in certain engine installations this restriction is important to force some flow of water through other water ways to enable heat to be drawn from, say the rear parts of the block. All very complicated stuff when you look into how the water flows thorough an engine block, its not just in at the water pump and then out at the top of the head.

So the fact that the stat has always been missing, with this cold weather it has just highlighted the over cooling due to the much colder air temps.

Good luck with the new stat, soon to have a toasty cab, even in the winter......

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, fully aware of the cycle of a common t/stat. If people did not know even when fully open the t/stat will still restrict the water flow and sometimes in certain engine installations this restriction is important to force some flow of water through other water ways to enable heat to be drawn from, say the rear parts of the block. All very complicated stuff when you look into how the water flows thorough an engine block, its not just in at the water pump and then out at the top of the head.

So the fact that the stat has always been missing, with this cold weather it has just highlighted the over cooling due to the much colder air temps.

Good luck with the new stat, soon to have a toasty cab, even in the winter......

Cubed

Must confess I'm looking forward to taking the truck out for a spin to check hows it all performs under load. I'm back home Thursday, so as soon as we get a day when the roads are dry I shall venture out :) :drive:

Deadline

:goodidea:about the exhaust manifold heat control valve. I've had a look in the manual :readbook: and I have no idea what the current setting is :embarrassed: :n00b:, I shall investigate when I get home :).

Kind regards to all on this cold winters night.

Vulture

Hope you have some fun don't bend it in the icy conditions on the roads :cool2: I have put a thread up on the MV Chatter about cleaning sludge out of cooling systems, if you do have a go put up your actions and how you got on doing it.

Cubed

Must confess I'm looking forward to taking the truck out for a spin to check hows it all performs under load. I'm back home Thursday, so as soon as we get a day when the roads are dry I shall venture out :) :drive:

Vulture

cardboards still for sale!!!:cool2:

I have some extra from the cover I put on my 66 M35a2.

Shipping might be the deal breaker. :cheesy:

As for the carb icing up, has nothing to do with the engine temp. Any pilot or A&P will tell you even WITH a hot engine a carb can ice.

Even if you do put the t-stat in (and even a working t-stat will still allow coolant to get to the radiator via the vent holes, not a lot, but some) the exhaust manifold damper needs to be set to full heat. Jeeps are lucky, they have an automatic damper set up. CCKWs ya gotta go do it manually. Then undo it in the spring.

If that's a current pic of your t-stat housing you should run some descaler and flush the system. Scale is an effective insulator and the debris can clog the passages/radiator tubes.

Seems like every time you drive you have some wacky cooling system issue. Seems like you should just bit the bullet (or whatever they bite in the UK :) ) and get it up to snuff.

yeh know carb icing has nowt to do with engine temp its all to do with atmospherics !!

Ask any pilot about it.

Fuel injection solved a ton of problems, but anytime you put a venturi and water together there is the possibility of carb ice.

Make sure you use plenty of carboard and you won't have that problem!

you will actually as ferret takes it air from inside fighting compartment which on those days is freezing and moisture laden only way round is install carb heater , route crankcase breather up stream of carb or have carb take air from inside engine compartment which should be a bit warmer , or dont drive on cold wet days ( be quick cardboard getting soggy!):-D

you will actually as ferret takes it air from inside fighting compartment which on those days is freezing and moisture laden only way round is install carb heater , route crankcase breather up stream of carb or have carb take air from inside engine compartment which should be a bit warmer , or dont drive on cold wet days ( be quick cardboard getting soggy!):-D

Don't forget the Ferret engine has a heated inlet manifold.

The CCKW and jeep have a damper on the exhaust manifold, but then turn around and install an insulator between the intake and carb (or in the case of a CCKW, the governor).

So I don't know how much heat makes it up to the carb (its a LONG way up to the venturi on a 28AV11).

I have to replace the cardboard about once a week this year on the front of the M35a2. Its just not been that wet a winter. I have some 1/4in plywood set aside for the wet days. But I can get all the free cardboard I can use from local stores.

GIs in WWII would use cardboard ration boxes. Silly GI's.

I have some extra from the cover I put on my 66 M35a2.

Seems like you should just bit the bullet (or whatever they bite in the UK :) ) and get it up to snuff.

The expression, biting the bullet came from the British army in India in the 1850s, where they used the Enfield rifle, the end of the bullet had to be bitten to expose the charge...... and in the heat of battle it was considered a very dangerous thing to do.

Does 'silly' have a much more nefarious meaning in Europe? I live in West Germany for 6 years.. but never became fluent in a foreign language.

I'm an ex-bubble head... I think I can make a quiet getaway.

HA! Get it? 'Silent Service'! Thank you! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Edited by deadline

Does 'silly' have a much more nefarious meaning in Europe? I live in West Germany for 6 years.. but never became fluent in a foreign language.

I'm an ex-bubble head... I think I can make a quiet getaway.

HA! Get it? 'Silent Service'! Thank you! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

JACK!!!!! The Forum's automated language translator seems to have gone on the blink again - can you fix please?

Waitresses in the Clubhouse cafe? Now we're getting somewhere :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck how did you get on :cool2: Is it behaving its self now.

Cubed

Vulture

Any luck how did you get on :cool2: Is it behaving its self now.

Cubed

Here in Cambridgeshire last Sunday the sun was out and the roads were dry, so I took the truck out for a 10 mile drive round the local area. Warmed her up before we set off and everything was great, temp steady around 160 for the entire journey. My boy and I returned with big smiles on our faces :).

Kind regards

Vulture

Good stuff glad to hear she is behaving now :laugh:

Cubed

Here in Cambridgeshire last Sunday the sun was out and the roads were dry, so I took the truck out for a 10 mile drive round the local area. Warmed her up before we set off and everything was great, temp steady around 160 for the entire journey. My boy and I returned with big smiles on our faces :).

Kind regards

Vulture