Welbike UK Ltd

Davey089

Just thought I would update on my restoration of a MK2 Series 1 Welbike .

I rang www.welbikeuk.com described to them the problem with the steering assembly on the above , basicly it was beyond saving .

Malcolm invited me down to their workshops in Stoke to show me around show me some of the items they made ,and also told me to bring along the frame and bars to have a look at it etc (I had already dismantled it) .

I went this morning (Wednesday) arrived after a 3hr journey and it was well worth it , they are such an accommodating friendly bunch of people. Malcolm said "lets have a look at the frame" , he took it into the workshop pointed out the lad (sorry forgot his name) that he was the expert and has had welbikes for years.

Within an hour the steering components were re-assembled in the frame , I had only gone down to purchase the bits , but while we had a cuppa it was machined brazed and finished , absolutely PERFECT, the components are such high quality in material and finish , you cannot tell the difference betwen the original and new , the detailing even down to the nails! that hold the tube into the yolk (these were put in on assembly to line them up before brazing) are there even put in at the correct angle , the detailing is amazing .

Malcolm showed me wheels , frames, forks, clutch perch etc etc , the wheels are machined out of solid square blocks of steel!! ,

forget the indian rubbish , these lads make the real macoy there also increasing the range of items , definately recommend these lads , and I would think any vehicle hard to get part if you had a word and they have a pattern to work from ,it wouldn't be a problem for them.

I'll be definately be getting my grips and cables and ant other bits from them , yep I'm over the moon with the work they did for me

can't praise them enough , Excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

There are differences between the originals and repros the main one is the engine number if it does not begin with xxe it is not a welbike one. Another is the condition, originals have quite often been bashed around a bit and have dents and scratches.

There are differences between the originals and repros the main one is the engine number if it does not begin with xxe it is not a welbike one. Another is the condition, originals have quite often been bashed around a bit and have dents and scratches.

Hi, you will have to be careful when using the engine number as a reference. I have in the past owned an original without xxe engine number (replacement engine ?) and a repro with the xxe engine number (built from original parts including engine, rear wheel etc. )

Very interesting to hear about Welbike UK.

The XXE which was modified / uprated during the war which had improved internal sealing. These improved engines can be recognised by a change in the prefix to XXA in the case of the JDL , and I would think as it has been mentioned, the numbers differed as the war went .

Check the frame number and markings on the headstock for verification of a genuine welbike not just the engine number , condition is debateable , I've seen 3 in Arnhem in a private collection , they were in excellent condition , basicly taken out of their containers by the Dutch and kept at the end of the war , so condition mmmm not always the case .

Just another tell tale on the early MK2 Series 1 , when assembled it was found that the tanks were too close to the wheel , another tank mounting was welded behind the first one , so you will find 2 tank mounting brackets on some,attached is a picture of an early MK2 Series 1 I am renovating with the extra mount . Chassis number 1260

welbike 057.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Hi ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,great to see good british engineering and nice to see spare parts ,,,,Do you know if they are going to number or mark the frames to allow differentiation between a original welbike and a modern version ?

Jenkinov

Hi

They are going to assemble 5 replica welbikes with chassis numbers 001 to 005 , as far as the replica frames they are going to make , I am not sure if they will be coding them .

Dave