Imperial War Museum disposal of vehicles

Great War truck

Welcome Paul, I've noticed a picture on your Facebook page however if you have anymore they would be more than welcome both on here and in the Pioneer Gallery. Looking forward to seeing more of this machine.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

She was sheeted up on arrival but if we have a dry day this week I won't be able to resist having a play and will take a few more pics. Have some other pics of an SV2S I recovered from the Bridgewater area back in the 80s, sadly work prevented the restoration and she was passed on.

Paul

Thanks Scott.

She was sheeted up on arrival but if we have a dry day this week I won't be able to resist having a play and will take a few more pics. Have some other pics of an SV2S I recovered from the Bridgewater area back in the 80s, sadly work prevented the restoration and she was passed on.

Paul

I'm sure everyone on the forum won't mind you sharing more pictures of both this Pioneer and the other one which you used to own.

Scott

I would have thought that the MBT's (Conqueror, Centurion and Chieftain) will be the hardest items to disperse to other museums. If they do manage to disperse them they could displace other MBT's in other collections allowing collectors to buy them. Very simplistic but could be good in the long term

What is the point of an Antar with no Cent on it's back. I will send them my address just in case they have no plans for it.

The 21cm K38 is lurking in the storage area of Duxford. You can/could see the carriage when you cross the footbridge from the carparks on the far side of the mainroad.

I think they brought it out to play occaisionally.

Here we are, memory's right.

7187460759_7f42823e8e.jpg

German WW2 Gun [3] by wycombe boy, on Flickr

7372686800_b268051c3c.jpg

German WW2 Gun [1] by wycombe boy, on Flickr

The 21cm K38 is lurking in the storage area of Duxford. You can/could see the carriage when you cross the footbridge from the carparks on the far side of the mainroad.

I think they brought it out to play occaisionally.

Here we are, memory's right.

It's been out for a couple of the Duxford MV shows, and is a monster to move. It's very very heavy. You only realise how heavy when you maneuver it across soft ground and see how quickly it sinks, causing some level of urgency to get it back onto a harder surface. Alas it's also sufficiently large and awkward to maneuver that a certain amount of off-road maneuvering is needed to get it back into storage. It's normally under cover (in recent years anyway) so if you spotted from the bridge it was probably being moved.

The photo's probably don't do justice to the size of the thing - it gets pulled by the Militant/MJ, and the barrell is longer than it by about half as much again (from memory).

I'm surprised it's on the list to go, but I'm sure there's a plan at work.

Edited by Lauren Child

What is the point of an Antar with no Cent on it's back. I will send them my address just in case they have no plans for it.

The cent on the back of the Antar is a shell, the engine bay is full of rubble. Last I heard they are going to sell it for scrap. Depending on who you listen to either the comet or the cent Mk III that I've been working on will go on it.

On the original list it showed a picture of a Cent AVRE in a slot for a Cent ARV, it's the ARV that's up for disposal (again the old wives club recon it'll be scrapped).

The Cent ARV is pretty rotten (I think she came from Shoeburyness, but I don't know for sure), we've got a chieftain ARV that works (sometimes), and petrol is expensive!

I have no idea what's happening to anything on the list from a year ago. To be honest everyone seems to be so involved with the IWM London re-fit that the rest has gone quiet.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to talk of scrappage just yet. Disposals go through a very long process of being offered to other museums, other interested organisations, and finally offered up for sale, before they'd be considered for scrap. There are some very impressive procedures that the museum has to go through for disposals or swaps.

The only things I've ever seen scrapped are the odds and sods left over after we've made a good assembly out of two naff ones for a resto. Even those get picked through quite carefully :)

The chances of anything on that list getting as far as being offered for private sale, let alone scrappage, is fairly slim.

Thanks Lauren , thats good to hear from our girl on the museums team ! :D When you get a minute could you "just" line all the recovery vehicles up (in order of age) and call me so I can come and just wander around them like the sad indivdual I am ! :red: Keep up the good work mate ! :D

Thanks Lauren , thats good to hear from our girl on the museums team ! :D When you get a minute could you "just" line all the recovery vehicles up (in order of age) and call me so I can come and just wander around them like the sad indivdual I am ! :red: Keep up the good work mate ! :D

With all of the changes in IWM London I think there will be a lot of re-arranging of vehicles - I'll see if I can tack your request onto our chairman's list, just for you ;)