Imperial War Museum disposal of vehicles

Great War truck

This is a list of objects currently up for dispersal or disposal by the Imperial War Museum.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/files/public-document/dispersals_disposals.pdf

It does not necesserily mean they will be sold, some may go to other museums. Quite a shocking list really. Especially the quantity of British post war armour. This may create a lively debate. I do hope so.

I would have thought that the MBT's (Conqueror, Centurion and Chieftain) will be the hardest items to disperse to other museums. If they do manage to disperse them they could displace other MBT's in other collections allowing collectors to buy them. Very simplistic but could be good in the long term

This is a list of objects currently up for dispersal or disposal by the Imperial War Museum.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/files/public-document/dispersals_disposals.pdf

It does not necesserily mean they will be sold, some may go to other museums. Quite a shocking list really. Especially the quantity of British post war armour. This may create a lively debate. I do hope so.

Does anyone know where the Sherman V is located? It looks like a military base.

The Chieftain and Type 69 are (or at least are pictured) at the 'Combined Military Services Museum' at Maldon in Essex.

The 'Cold War' vehicles and softskins might fall slightly outside the remit of the IWM, though I admit that is open to discussion. The Matador, for example, might be better located next to the Lancaster at RAF Hendon?

jh

Hi, I used to volunteer at Duxford. The Stuart Gun tractor is a good runner. The Cent Arv I did get running, will need a lot of attention been left outside too long. The Conq Arv I have seen running, it was a beast. It pushed a Cent Arv on tick over. The 2S1 was a good runner, nice to drive, needed the odd hose fixing that was about it. The Zil truck was bought to wet down the running area on show days, guess they don’t need it anymore. The Cent MK3 has always been kept inside, never seen it run, but it looks very complete.

when I get my place sorted out I will start a small museum, I want to collect engines and have them running....piston engines for sure, not so sure about jet engines, but you can run these up with electric motors...As soon as have my place set up I will be on the hunt for anything like this...shame I am not ready yet...it will be at least another 6 months before I have my business sold and can concentrate on the museum and other projects...

• 1 year later...

The ex-IWM Scammell TRMU30 has now arrived in Wales. She is in fair condition mechanically but the cab requires a rebuild, engine turns over but we have a spare 6LW if needed.

As well as being an exhibit in her own right her main job will be winching some of the larger engines around the museum, crane hire for shifting 30 ton plus diesels is prohibitive.

She will be joined by a number of engines from the IWM disposals list at Easter. Sadly the majority have components missing but will all be assessed with a view to running at some point of possible.

Paul

-- Internal Fire Museum of Power Website: http://www.internalfire.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Internal-Fire-Museum-Of-Power/198568506925586 ACE/CyMAL Accredited Museum, Registered Charity number 1134971

Superb to see that the Scammell has finally found a good home and will be used. If you need any parts or information then I am sure that one of the Pioneer owners on here will be able to help. If you have the chassis number I can give you the date & contract it was ordered on also it's original military H number.

Cheers

Ed