1940 Enfield pistol w/bobbed hammer Pics

tokarev

Last week I bought this 1940 Enfield pistol and had a couple three questions

1.On the back of the grip frame POL LUN is this short for Police London?

IMG_2456.jpg

2. Was the Enfield pistol used with a Ferret?

3. Was the bobbed hammer double action only model used by tankers?

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

Yes these were used in vehicles so the hammer didnt catch and let a round of the the tight compartments of a vehicle, i believe yours is the Enfield Mk1* or Mk1** Service Revolver, i have a Mk1** of this type but yours is in much better condition, These were only produced in war-time and after the war were declared obsolete, i'm not 100% sure when these started production but the Mk1** started in 1942. They were designed as a speedy production at first as there were less components but there were safety concerns about them, then the tankers took a liking to them and started using them. Some early ones were converted revolvers with the complete hammer but the ones with the plastic grips are usually Mk1**'s and not converted.

I may not be correct but on the barrel facing upwards there should be (we there is on mine) 2 numbers, mine is "43" and I've always assumed that is the date

See "Variants" on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_revolver

Edited by MHillyard

:-( I remember seeing tons of these in an old gunshop in Vancouver back in the 80's along with that big webley 455. Most in excellent shape for about $20 to $40 dollars each if I recall depending on condition. Also two cases of M1 Garands with the laced on leather cheek pad.$500 Ill be kicking myself for the rest of my life because of lost opportunities.

Lots of official nastiness bettween Webley and Enfeild over revolvers. Patent infringment etc. Pistol Revolver No 2 Mk 1* production stated June `1938. Pistol Revolver No2 Mk 1 ** july 1942. The model was based on the Webley .38 200 grain bullet design, but the lockwork was changed by Enfeild. It apperas the hammerless design was original made at the request of the Royal Tank Regiment.Mk1** had no hammer saftey. This is a bar behind the hammer that obstructs the hammer unless the trigger is kept pulled, so the firing pin will not contact. As this is THE saftey feature of most revlover designs the the weapons were converted back to Mk1 * spec. Ha\ve a look behind the hammer. Pull the trigger hold hammer back then slowly release while not holding trigger, you should see the bar rise.

My one, i need to give it a good clean up, it has been painted and there are huge splodges of paint over the Enfield marks. Does anyone know what i could use to give it a good finish if I did strip the paint down?

Also missing the loop at the bottom, anyone know where i can get one?

DSC04592.jpg

DSC04593-1.jpg

DSC04594.jpg

DSC04596.jpg

My one, i need to give it a good clean up, it has been painted and there are huge splodges of paint over the Enfield marks. Does anyone know what i could use to give it a good finish if I did strip the paint down?

Also missing the loop at the bottom, anyone know where i can get one?

I got one from here, top of the page.

https://www.chelmsfordmilitaria.com/index.php?ix=104&iw=251&iz=0&c=6

• 3 years later...
gents, Anyone got one of these tankers pistols for sale?

thanks kevin.

Last W&PR one of the bigger arms dealers had bins full of them for £200/ea. I forgot their name but they had a large white marquee and a fully chromed MG53 & tripod on display, maybe that will trigger someone's memory on their name.

Last W&PR one of the bigger arms dealers had bins full of them for £200/ea. I forgot their name but they had a large white marquee and a fully chromed MG53 & tripod on display, maybe that will trigger someone's memory on their name.

I think it was something like Investment Gun Company, or something along those lines!:nut: