Bridge/Railway marker lamp ?

snowtracdave

Picked this up a little while ago . Not come across one before - can any of you kit experts tell me anything about them ?

I'm told that they were used as marker lamps for bridges or railways but that could be entirely incorrect . Any idea what battery(ies) would have been fitted ?

Lamp1.jpg

Lamp2.jpg

Lamp3.jpg

Picked this up a little while ago . Not come across one before - can any of you kit experts tell me anything about them ?

I'm told that they were used as marker lamps for bridges or railways but that could be entirely incorrect . Any idea what battery(ies) would have been fitted ?

Lantern, Electric, Traffic, No.2 is its proper name, I think.

It has two plastic filters (red and green) that can be inserted in the front and retained by the wire clip.

I assume they were for marking routes, cleared lanes through minefields, etc, as the appear to be intended to be nailed to the top of a post (as well as having the belt/strap clip), then switched on when required.

Unfortunately they take the old "800" 3 volt cycle lamp battery (2 cells, contact springs on the top and the front) that went out of production in the 1970s when better cycle lighted were required and the new type took U2 (D cell)s in pairs rather than a single (more expensive) battery. It's annoying because a lot of things (Lamp, Electric No.1, the helmet torch, cycle lamps, and the bomb disposal "hands free" intercom) used the same battery.

These were used in New Zealand and overseas as Minefeild lane marking lights with either green or red lenses, green for one side of the lane through the minefeild and red for the other.

Battery was a flat looking beast with a long and short terminal on the top.

A modern plastic case that you put two d size (I think) batteries was available at one stage.

Many people here bought these post war and replaced the lense with a clear glass and used them as work lights or torches.

Regards Kiwisapper

Thanks guys . I remember those flat batteries well and I still have an EverReady torch which used one . I believe somewhere amongst my junk I may actually have a twin D cell holder , will have to have a trawl round when I get a minute . The photo's I took this morning don't show it too well but the lamp does still have it's fixed lens intact & also a removeable green lens although I'm not too sure if that is an original as it looks too good .

DM .

There's an 800 battery at the back left hand side of this photograph:

Vintage bicycle lamps

And a Drydex equivalent at bottom right here:

http://www.oldshopstuff.com/Shop/tabid/1248/ItemID/11697/Listing/Old-Card-Sign---Drydex-Batteries/Default.aspx

I am peeved, peeved, I tell you, that I cannot find a photograph of just the battery on the internet.

Bah!

Chris.

(The flat battery with the unequal length brass contacts on the top is the 4.5 volt handlamp battery used in Lamp, Electric, No.4 (a copy of the German "Pertrix" lamp), and that battery is still readily available.)

• 2 weeks later...