National MVT Show - Wartime in the Vale 23 & 24 June, Ashdown WW2 Camp, Evesham

Paul it was the Humber, Wireless, Light, FV1604 which was the most interesting vehicle for me there, yes I know it takes all sorts!

How did I spot it? Well I teased the owner that it was a shame to hide the vehicle under a camo net. It was a MV show if I want to look at camo nets I could look at some here. Anyway I put on waterproof trousers & slid underneath, as ones does, & nosed around with a torch & a camera, looking for the unexpected.

Wow .......Now that is what you call Dedication to the MV world:wow:

boomboom

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow .......Now that is what you call Dedication to the MV world:wow:

boomboom

I better explain. The Humber 1 Ton FV1600 Tracta joints are lubricated by injecting OIL through a lubricator originally fitted at A.

Dsc02256b.jpg

Because too much force whilst doing this could damage the larger hub seal, the lubricator was moved to point B.

The hole at A was meant to be plugged, ground down & peened over. Here on the front off-side & also the near-side it has not been completed properly. Leaving it may give rise to confusion at servicing & indeed might even invite a lubricator to be fitted & the seal damaged. So the plug should have been put beyond use & normally it is very difficult to see where it was at all, giving the impression that the lubricator point had always been in position B.

The rear ones had been properly modified on this vehicle. Now this should have been done to all Humbers, but some got missed out.

Op Bubble assessed the ease with which the 200 Pigs had been "recovered" for service in N.Ireland could serviced ready for use. It was found a significant number had not had this modification. This was a contributing factor to the time taken being double what had been expected.

The mod must have been one of 51 mods cancelled in 1968 either because they no longer relevant or because the mod had been thought have been completed to all vehicles.

Given that such a number slipped though the net, I hope to one day find a Humber that has not had this mod done, but at least finding it half completed was an interesting find for me. :cheesy:

Edited by fv1609

I better explain. The Humber 1 Ton FV1600 Tracta joints are lubricated by injecting OIL through a lubricator originally fitted at A.

Dsc02256b.jpg

Because too much force whilst doing this could damage the larger hub seal, the lubricator was moved to point B.

The hole at A was meant to be plugged, ground down & peened over. Here on the front off-side & also the near-side it has not been completed properly. Leaving it may give rise to confusion at servicing & indeed might even invite a lubricator to be fitted & the seal damaged. So the plug should have been put beyond use & normally it is very difficult to see where it was at all, giving the impression that the lubricator point had always been in position B.

The rear ones had been properly modified on this vehicle. Now this should have been done to all Humbers, but some got missed out.

Op Bubble assessed the ease with which the 200 Pigs had been "recovered" for service in N.Ireland could serviced ready for use. It was found a significant number had not had this modification. This was a contributing factor to the time taken being double what had been expected.

The mod must have been one of 51 mods cancelled in 1968 either because they no longer relevant or because the mod had been thought have been completed to all vehicles.

Given that such a number slipped though the net, I hope to one day find a Humber that has not had this mod done, but at least finding it half completed was an interesting find for me. :cheesy:

My Mate Pete has got a Humber and i will have a look at his at the Bromyard Gala show He would have brought it to Wartime in the Vale show but due to work commitments could only make it for a few hours.

boomboom

My Mate Pete has got a Humber and i will have a look at his at the Bromyard Gala show He would have brought it to Wartime in the Vale show but due to work commitments could only make it for a few hours.

boomboom

If its not been modified it would be nice to take a picture.

Just make sure he puts oil in it not grease. People see a lubrication nipple & assume it is a grease nipple, but in this instance it ain't. :D

My first and unexpected visit/ display. All I will say is what a cracking weekend all round and met f/book friends not met before. AND picked up a few real gems from the stalls, including a Para smock on Sun. every one had missed.:-D Def. on the list next year.

Well Guys

What a weekend , Back home now and time to reflect on the weekend. This show never fails to surprise me A bit sticky

under tyre when we got there ( certainly tested the traction of the General and amazed the gun even moved ):-D Sun/rain/wind/sun/wind/rain /sun/sun A damm good weekend and something for every one and a good time for the MVs to show there worth:cool2: I know my truck did :( I had to get towed by a gmc as the front axle wouldn't engage while trying to pull the 155 that had sank although about 10 ton on 2 single tyres was expecting a bit much i suppose for the gun to pull herself out. The weekend certainly brought many smiles to my face. One bloke i was talking to with a load of hair that reminded me of catweazle fellow and what a great bloke certainly made us laugh .Made lots of new friends' and met old ones What a great weekend even the odd shower didnt dampen the event .

I take my hat off to all the folk who made this show happen.

boomboom

I agree, excellent show........... I did watch the GMC towing your truck and 155 off the field, wonder if anyone photographed it ??

[/b][/u]I agree, excellent show........... I did watch the GMC towing your truck and 155 off the field, wonder if anyone photographed it ??

Oh God i hope not:red:

Some folk I know with GMCs would run me ragged over that :-D

Pete

And you almost took out the water tap as you swung round, not that we needed any more water on the ground.

I was just surprised that the public kept on coming in on the Sunday, a definite surge after lunch as the sun came back out causing a few delays in the car park.

And I chuckled to myself when the Champs were all in the arena with the last one towed in by a Land Rover! You would have thought another Champ owner could have collected it.

And you almost took out the water tap as you swung round, not that we needed any more water on the ground.

I was just surprised that the public kept on coming in on the Sunday, a definite surge after lunch as the sun came back out causing a few delays in the car park.

And I chuckled to myself when the Champs were all in the arena with the last one towed in by a Land Rover! You would have thought another Champ owner could have collected it.

What surprised me most was the fact that it was a dampish yet warm weekend but i have never seen so many smiling faces but next year i am going to leave in the dark just incase i get stuck again:blush: Sorry for the ruts Paul:cool2:

Pete

As usual, I couldn't commit to an entry until the very last minute and was much heartened by Paul's attitude to my call very late on.( Saturday ).

I thoroughly enjoyed my Sunday out and met a lot of old friends.

Very many thanks Paul and thanks also to Bob James (the land owner ) who will magically make the ruts disappear by next year I'm sure.

All the best and best wishes to both of you.

Edited by David B.

Many thanks to all those involved in organising this show always a lot of hard work even more so when the weather turns a tad wet, 104 champs in the arena sat eve was great have heard that the RAC and AA have now stepped down from red alert now all the champs made it home :cool2: hats off to the Dutch, Belgium and German guys who drove their vehicles to the show at 15 to the gal :nut:

100_2244.jpg

Sorry I missed ya Boom Boom will see you at Bromyard or Marcle

attachment.php?attachmentid=63442&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1340566679

This was interesting - what we initially thought was an L4 MOBAT with most bits missing is more than likely a rare L7 CONBAT (Converted BAT) with not that many bits missing! The CONBAT was fitted with a .50 Spotting / Ranging gun (as with the WOMBAT) in place of the Bren LMG.

A great show - in spite of the weather - thanks to all involved for their hard work. Driving the Champ from Essex to Worcestershire was a trouble free experience and one which I will remember for years!

Oh God i hope not:red:

Some folk I know with GMCs would run me ragged over that :-D

Pete

Really, wonder who that would be????????? :cool2:

Looks like you all had a great time up there. Sad we missed it but then we were busy liberating Dorset!!!!!

Hopefully your show wont clash next year with anything and we can nip up and see you all :-)

Really, wonder who that would be????????? :cool2:

Looks like you all had a great time up there. Sad we missed it but then we were busy liberating Dorset!!!!!

Hopefully your show wont clash next year with anything and we can nip up and see you all :-)

Bring your GMC Rosie.............. just in case !!!!!

Thanks again to Paul and Bob for making the show happen.

We attended with the 1970`s era NATO / Bundeswehr VW181 and Unimog telex truck and, set upearly in the week so as to broadcast daily from the field on short-wave (a.m.). Camping overnight and commuting to work (!), it was great to experience the practicalities of operating the 1960`s comms system on a regular basis.

The weekend saw theappearance of several VMARS (Vintage Military and Ammateur Radio Society) memberswith their radio kit – and it was great to put faces to the names of those I generally only chat with on-air. Having chatted during the Saturday morning, two dedicated society members travelled up from Hampshire during the afternoon to come and see our set up !

Having focussed mostly on radio issues this time, I took few pics only of the event (although we did manage a little jaunt around the arena (post war vehicles), so here are a few of our display.

Great show and, a nice opportunity for everyone to show that our vehicles actually can work when it rains :D

Looking forward to next year,

Cheers,

Steve 82

Sunset (18.06)

1806121.jpg

First morning (19.06)

DSC02259s.jpg

Early Morning Kubel (18.06)

DSC02263s.jpg

Unimog in the `hangar`

DSC02277s.jpg

DSC02278s.jpg