1940 Scammell Pioneer Gun Tractor Restoration

Nickb

Restoration thread for a 1940s Scammell Pioneer Gun tractor.

Here are some pictures:

The last photo is when it first arrived, the rest are it's current state.

Thanks,

Nick

Scammell pioneer Gun Tractor.jpg

IMG_20111227_141200.jpg

IMG_20111227_141229.jpg

IMG_20111227_141312.jpg

IMG_20111227_141333.jpg

IMG_20111227_141341.jpg

IMG_20111227_141346.jpg

IMG_20111227_141358.jpg

IMG_20111227_141426.jpg

IMG_20111227_141433.jpg

IMG_20111227_141441.jpg

IMG_20111227_141452.jpg

IMG_20111227_141502.jpg

IMG_20111227_141706.jpg

Edited by Nickb

Hi,

Let me be one of the first to wish you good luck, as this is THE most beautiful British WW2 vehicle you could restore.

The very best of luck and may your wallet be self-replenishing!!!

Keep the pictures coming. let us all know which chassis numbers etc, it is, when you get time.

Mike.

Thanks for the reply, i will post pictures at some point its just getting the time to do something on it!

Just to point out this truck doesn't belong to me, i am just helping in the restoration of her and keeping the thread updated.

Any questions i am happy to answer, but it may take some time as i say because it isn't my truck!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Evening guys,

Not alot of progress been made on the Scammell at the moment.

We have cut and welded 2 support pieces on the off side where we put a new peace of angle iron. Nothing else to tell really, Progress will be nil until a week on Saturday unfortunately. Next time we're down the radiator and bonnet should be coming off to prep the front of the chassis for painting so the engine can go in, when it's repaired !!

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by Nickb

• 2 months later...
I presume the purchase of a very large howizter is in the offing.........?

If we ever get the truck finished yes!

Sorry there hasn't been a post on here lately, we haven't done anything. We took the bonnet off today, and will be removing the radiator during the week (not to hard as it isn't mounted properly, just incredibly heavy !)

And that's all for now, we are getting the angle iron measured and ordered so we can start on the other side of the body, and will soon be starting on the cab rebuild! :D

Thanks,

Nick

Looking forward to seing more progress with this... we dont see to many R100.... is it another Scammell cab that is in back ground of the 6th picture.

what is the coles crane attached to in the back ground ?

The cab is another scammell cab yes, and its a thornycroft amazon i believe, also under restoration.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, brought the injection pump back the other day and removed the radiator (took 3 of us but its done) !

Not much else really, will keep this blog updated though !!

• 1 month later...

Another update,

Attempted to put the engine back in the truck on Sunday (needed a tidy up), but encountered a few problems....

1. The engine crane wouldn't lift high enough, so we removed the front wheels to lower the truck
  2. The flywheel and housing then wouldn't fit past the bulkhead and was hitting on the steering rack
  3. So, having removed the flywheel, and half the bolts that hold the housing on we find there's about 10 more bolts holding it on - OPERATION ABANDONED :')

(by this time, its the end of the day, and home time) :-D

So, we spent bank holiday Monday undoing everything we did on the Sunday, PROGRESS!!!...NOT :-|

Final decision :- Engine stays out of the truck until it's unsiezed and reconditioned :)

Pictures to come soon !

Hopefully things will work for us this weekend, the last few spare parts are coming out, so there's room to move around the truck. :)

• 1 month later...

Evening folks,

Firstly;

Have to apologise as i havent has five minutes to update this thread!

Now, the the Pioneer.

No progress since the last post, however we have spent many nights with it and have had a tidy up around it!

I do have some long awaited pictures of the engine refitting attempt (not successful):(

After the pictures were taken, we took both front wheels off and lowered her right down, still the engine wont go in, so we have come to the conclusion a taller crane is needed! Also apparently you have to drop the engine when its half in and re-sling it on an angle?

Her Gardner is still sat at the side of her unfortunately :/

PHOTOS!!!

IMG_20120603_121602.jpg

IMG_20120603_121536.jpg

IMG_20120603_121543.jpg

IMG_20120603_121552.jpg

Yes you're right, with the cab on the engine needs to go in on an angle so far, block it up, re-sling it and lower the rest of the way. The manual has pics and descriptions on how to do this. Do you have one, I have the full workshop manual on pdf if you'd like it.

Good luck, Richard

Yes we do have a copy thanks, although a PDF copy would be handy. Thats where we've got it from, need a bigger crane though, or a tele-handler, because that one is at full height in all of the pictures :P

• 5 months later...

A few bits and bobs done over the festive period:-

• Non-Original Steel plate on the inside of the side locker removed, to allow for most of the locker to be removed and remade
  • Some of the bolts from the above locker removed
  • Thick weld on the chassis ground off from where the crane was mounted

With any luck i should have more updates soon, it seems we have more time to spend on her now!

Thanks,

Nick

Hi nick, give me your email address and I'll send you the PDF. How did you get the engine out in the first place?

Richard

The Engine came from the Donor Truck

Nick, can't you get Steve to lean on the front, that should lower it enough :)

He doesn't seem to keen on that idea ;)

FRONT LOCKER COMPLETELY REMOVED THIS AFTERNOON :D

Thanks,

Nick

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Nick/Steve

How is the R100 progressing, and updates??

Tim

Hi Tim,

Steve mentioned you'd posted but it slipped my mind! Unfortunately no progress has been made since the last post. Other things taking priority at the moment but she's not deteriorating so waiting isn't a problem.

With any luck we'll make some progress shortly, thanks for following and i will keep you posted!

Thanks

Nick

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...