SMLE WW1 vintage

Graham

Yet again this excellent very knowledgeable contributors have come up with the answers. Bearing in mind my limited budget it seems my best option is to buy an unmarked WW2 webbing sling. Interesting that despite the horrors of war we ordinary blokes could be concerned about our 'image' - 'nowt as strange as folk'. ;)

More advice please - how is the 44.5" measurement taken? From the end of the barrel to the butt plate or from the bayonet boss to the butt plate? I ask because I have a butt with a small 'S' stamped on it which could make it a 'short' butt 0.5" (half inch) smaller than the 'normal' butt. The bayonet boss is about 0.5" long. Also out of interest to anyone wanting to know my 1917 MkIII* backsight has 'windage adjustment' not usually found on a MkIII*. All spec information from Ian Skennerton's 'Small Arms Identification Series'.

Also out of interest to anyone wanting to know my 1917 MkIII* backsight has 'windage adjustment' not usually found on a MkIII*.

The MkIII type rearsight was probably either fitted when assembled as the manufacturer using up leftover earlier spec parts, or it was fitted in a post-manufacture rebuild at some point. I'd probably go with the latter as it's 1917 dated. Has the windage adjustable part been pinned in place? My 1913 Enfield MkIII has a pinned windage adjustable rearsight.

The MkIII type rearsight was probably either fitted when assembled as the manufacturer using up leftover earlier spec parts, or it was fitted in a post-manufacture rebuild at some point. I'd probably go with the latter as it's 1917 dated. Has the windage adjustable part been pinned in place? My 1913 Enfield MkIII has a pinned windage adjustable rearsight.

Thanks for the information. The adjustable windage part is integral. The main rectangular bar is slightly reduced in width to allow the small 'carriage' greater movement from side to side driven by the thumb screw. Windage calibration is in "1/32nds on the main bar and a single scribed mark on the 'carriage'. Hope this helps.