Land Rover 101 Milan

Ivor Ramsden

My son's bought a Land Rover 101. It's a GS Milan version and it is an awesome thing. I've driven just about every Land Rover product going but for overall fun this really is the cat's pyjamas. And it's not mine so I don't have to put the petrol in! It's like driving round in the front room - the windscreen is nearly the size of a set of patio windows and the V8 noise is just lovely - like an earth-bound RR Merlin! It will take weeks for the :D:D to wear off. Can anybody enlighten me as to the Milan fittings? We've got no intention of restoring it to the Milan spec but I can't find any pictures on the web and it would be nice to know what would have been in it. It's been stripped to bare metal and has been painted in its factory finish of Deep Bronze Green which looks very nice although it's in need of some touching up, which will happen very soon.The reaction of other drivers to it is much the same as the reaction to the Morris C9/B, i.e. "What the fxxx's that?"We need a few bits for it, so I've put an ad in the "wanted" section.

Copy of PICT0006.jpg

Copy of PICT0007.jpg

Copy of PICT0008.jpg

Copy of PICT0010.jpg

Edited by Ivor Ramsden
Photos added

There's a photo of a Milan carrier in the July 1994 issue of Military in Scale, and another in the September 1983 issue of Military Modelling. I believe that the all that was done to convert the vehicle to the Milan role was to fix a special pallet into to the space between the rear of the cab cab and in front of the rear wheel arches. This held sixteen missiles in racks (four rows of four) and two firing posts. An antenna mount for the vehicle radio was fixed to the top of the pallet and protruded through the centre of the tilt.