bedford QL restoration

guy66

Did a trial fit of the doors but thees will need some adjustment, I will need to investigate how this is best done as there is now provision of adjustment on the hinges?

The driver door is hanging of a bit and is difficult to close.

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

Edited by guy66

Looks stunning. Inspiration indeed. Re your hinges, are the brass balls worn? If so they are probably the same as in series land rover hinges.

Problem of the hinges is solved, bend the top hinge a little bit and a small shim under the bottom brass ball.

This problem kept my entertain this afternoon.

The parcel with my restored steering wheel arrived today and go on the QL tomorrow, a little bit expensive but a very nice restoration!

The restored steering wheel, will need a pair of cloves if I use this steering wheel as the price of the restoration was a little bit high:-(

But they made my a perfect restored steering wheel , and the problem if you find a second hand steering wheel for a QL they are al in such a bad state.

IMG_0469.jpg

Edited by guy66

• 2 weeks later...

Went yesterday to collect the rear section of the QL office box.

For ease of transport and as I don't need the top of the box this part (post war and was assembled in Germany) was removed on site.

The floor under this construction is of a QLT and I will need to shorten this lot a bit as the QLD box I want to make is shorter.

Fore sure I can use some chassis sections on it to repair my chassis, next weekend I go to take some pictures and measurements of a real British QLD with the right body on it (not a modified Danish body as thees are a bit different) and then I can start to replicate the body.

There came also some bits with this lot that I don't need, petrol tanks from QLT with supports (bad state), rooftop ventilation openings and one still with a uncomplet ventilator.

Will post some pictures of thees bits and put thees on the for sale page!

Guy

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

Edited by guy66

The floor section is completely removed from the remains of the chassis, the woodwork is still in resemble nick and will come very handy

on my QL floor.

Striped also some bits from this chassis to repair my chassis, I need the centre and rear cross member of this chassis.

Guy

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
on mine there was a piece of 5mm thick sheet metal on side facing the mounting brackets on each piece of wood going cross the bed. Do you have these on yours?

Yes Niels on mine there is also a piece of metal plate the hole length of the wooden cross bar. It is really a big puzzle to put al the bits back together, but locally there is some wane with a QLD and had a lot of information and pictures this last wings and wheels military show last weekend.

Guy

Edited by guy66

• 3 weeks later...

Received my copy of my wiring harness from autosparks on Tuesday and have everything in place.

It was a bit of a Chickasaw puzzle as the colours did not match the colours of the wiring diagram, but we made it!

As there is no provision on a original wiring harness for rear lights ( just one lead for a small rear light) I will need to make this section my self, think to put the extra fuse box for the rear lights under the driver seat where the battery is situated and where it is out of view.

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Hi Guy have you had indicator wiring built into your harness ? when I spoke to Autosparks last year they said that they had an origional QL harness as a pattern and they can incorporate alterations such as indicators / stop lights etc into the new harness for about £15 each alteration ??

Hello Ian and Alex, first the paint and it will be a little bit difficult to explain. It is a colour from Renault commercial vehicles that was really a nice match with some original ww2 bike part still in the original painted colour.

The problem is that I use a epoxy based paint and it don't is really matt. After I painted my body parts I need to rub thees a bit to have a matt look.

Yes I know why use epoxy paint, it is very strong and will last.

The wiring , autosparks did not have a sample harness for a QLR ( yes my bedford started life as a radio box) and as there are some differences between a QLD and QLR I send them my very bad wiring harness to replicate in a working electrical unit.

The real difference on a radio box is that very match of wiring is sleeved in a protecting wiring for the radio interferences, and this was really not my problem. It was the different location of the regulator unit on the back site of the cabin.

If you need a working ( not really original) wiring harness best to contact autosparks as they know the problem now!!

But watch out the wires are not the same colour as original!!!!

Guy

Edited by guy66