bedford QL restoration

guy66

Repair section in the back of the cabin.

Tomorrow I will Repair the rear corners and the piece in front of the gear levers, then move over to the front.

If thees two front parts are repaired I think that the cabin will be in a match healthier state as on the start of al this work.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Question!! Was the woodwork of the cabin and doors painted in one go with the metal panels, are if a new QL came of the production line cold you find the woodwork unpainted?

I personally think that the cabin with woodwork was sprayed completely, this must be the easiest way to do it butt this only my own view.

Witch is the situation on other British soft skin vehicles with wooden structures?

Guy

Question!! Was the woodwork of the cabin and doors painted in one go with the metal panels, are if a new QL came of the production line cold you find the woodwork unpainted?

I personally think that the cabin with woodwork was sprayed completely, this must be the easiest way to do it butt this only my own view.

Witch is the situation on other British soft skin vehicles with wooden structures?

Guy

Guy, You could well be right the wooden frame was not painted until the metal had been attached and the whole assembly was painted in one go.

But if I were you I would treat the wooden frame before cladding. You would not

want rust to reappear after the hard work you've put into your QL.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by mcspool

Almost there with the cabin, piece in front of the gear levers and front corner repair. Looking forward to have the cabin sandblasted and then I can start to paint this part!:cool2:

I am after a left hand wheel arch as the one on my QL was really severely bend and thees thinks don't bend back easy in there original shape.

Guy

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, just a small update on the the QL cabin.

Straiten out and some new metal in different areas of the front wheel arches, dint think that the passenger side would come out so good. But had match work to get thees back in shape!

IMG_0213.jpg

The cabin is ready for the sandblasters! Just have a look what rotten metal gave been cut out of this cabin.

IMG_0214.jpg

Repair on the rail for the sliding metal panel in the rear bulkhead of the cab and welded up the to holes to connect the cabin with the rear radio box section.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58998[/ATTACH]

Hi Guy for a self taught 'tinny' your doing a top quality job, well done. Ian

The doors are ready to put the glass back in, the first batch of sandblasted parts are now in paint.

Next big job will be the start on the cabin paint work, just have to wait a little bit as the sandblaster has to match work for the moment.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Edited by guy66

Made last weekend a little trip to the UK and wend to John Morter to collect some bits for my QL.

IMG_0262.jpg

In the lot are a clutch kit (my clutch pressure plate had a bad crack) top end gasket set, filter kit, front exhaust section, brake cylinder rubber seals, and also inlet valves and valve springs that a friend collected at bygone bedford bits.

With the parts came 3 right hand front windscreens in a not so good state and from this lot and just one top piece of my own very bad windscreens made my a pair of good windscreen surrounds.

IMG_0265.jpg

Installed the clutch and put the gearbox back on the engine.

IMG_0269.jpg

And the cylinder head is ready to go back on the engine with new valves and springs.

IMG_0268.jpg

;)

IMG_0264.jpg

Edited by guy66

• 3 weeks later...

The engine is almost ready, just need to put the oil filter back on.

IMG_0298.jpg

The roof hip ring is also completely renovated and the inside of the wheel arches are in paint, tomorrow I will paint the outside but that will be in black as al the parts that are visible from above need to be in black paint.

This is necessary as I want to have the QL in Mickey mouse camouflage.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Edited by guy66

• 4 weeks later...

Somme small progress on the bedford.

The roof section is ready to put in top coat and the mudguards are also ready.

IMG_0313.jpg

And the headlights have some new nickel on the mirrors!

IMG_0316.jpg

And some other bits al ready in to paint. The temperature indicator was not a original part on the dashboard, but I like to have some this extra information about the water temperature on the move.

IMG_0315.jpg

Guy

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

I still looking for some wane that can make my canvas bits for the QL.

Seat covers, roof hip ring cover, bellows on gear sticks and steering column, radiator funnel and blind and the parts under the cabin.

I made al ready some enquiries with some well know canvas suppliers but without luck.

The problem is that I dot have any samples of my canvas bits as most of thees bits fell apart.

Guy:(