bedford QL restoration

guy66

The wanted spare part list is getting smaller, did find a spare wheel, engine cover and a rear cargo body.

The rear section is of a post-war TEV type (office box) but it is only the floor and fittings that I will use after some modification.

The floor section is the same as a QLT.

I will gave some bits for sale that i don't need on my QLD.

Parts for sale are: 2 petrol tanks with fittings for QLT

Complete upper section of the box ( side panels, windows and roof section with ventilation louvres)

Chassis extensions and more.

I only have the rear section in march, if some interest contact my and after march I can post some pictures.

Guy

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Hello Niels, the bad work on the cabin are al on the back ( under the seats) the of the cabin, just had a start today on the cabin and it is bad, yes as the Jackson's said it is bad.

Looking to have a starting point on al this rust, but made a start.

I will post some pictures of the work (cutting of old metal)

Guy

Some fresh metal on the driver side of the floor, but there is still some new metal needed on the floor but this will be for next week.

And also some pictures of the TEV-type body that the floor section and a chassis cross member will be of use on my QLD.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

After a good look to the drivers floor I decided to remove it completely as there was not match good metal left.

Today made my a new floor section and will tray to fit it tomorrow, also re-made the corner piece.

Guy

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

After some more welding work ( yes the cabin is very bad) made a trial fit of the divers floor, and will need to do some adjustment on the front of the floor section.

It is a big piece and with what was left of the original floor it is always a challenge to make it fit.

IMG_0116.jpg

The drivers floor is almost finish , weld everything in place and now I will need to use al my talents to make the repair section for the wheel arch. As there is not match left of the original part I will need to improvise a bit and use the remains of the cut-out part and what is left on the passenger side as sample ! ;)

Also made a trial fit of the newly made upper floor section (the part that sits round the pedals).

Guy

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Work on the wheel arch don, we are getting there! Just some small repairs in the corner of the under seat space (battery location ) and then we move on to the passenger side. At first glance this side looks a little bit better.

guy

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

• Like 1

Enjoying your rebuild, are you using Zintek or have you just painted the steel sheets before you worked on them?

The sheets on the floor have some zink on them and I just put some protection on the welds before the the cabin go to the sand blasters to have evereting in to paint.

Tomorrow I go to collect my engine, it was in need of a re-bore and we had to use the middle oversize (040) as the bores where not 100% on the first oversize (020).

We think that this engine last was run some 15 years back , the rust in the bores was really deep.

This problem is solved, up to the next one. Next week I put the engine back together, the good news is that the bottom end is in match better condition.

Guy

As said I made a start on the engine re-build, wind to collect the engine from the machine shop and the bores are now on 040 oversize.

We just made it with 040, there are still some small rust marks on the top of the bores butt this will be now problem.

Mounted the crankshaft back in the bloc but had some problem with the nut lock plates on the bolts of the middle bearing caps , as soon as I wanted to torque dawn the bolts the lock plates where bending in the tightening direction and the bolts did not torque well.

Replaced thees lock plates with tight fitting washers and some tread looking compound on the tread.

Guy

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Had a start on the engine rebuild and fitted the new old stock pistons of 040 oversize. The biggest job was to clean the conservation grease of the pistons.

The work on the cabin has to wait until some better temperatures, as I do al the big jobs under the carport these have to wait a bit.

As I said fitted the pistons and replaced the timing chain, had the oil pump apart to check and clean it.

Next will be the cylinder head butt first will have to find 6 inlet valves and the valve springs.

Guy

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Edited by guy66

Hi Guy,

superb work you are doing there!

Is there any commonality of parts between that engine and the US built GM straight sixes, the 216, 235, 261, etc? If so the USA may be a good source of internal parts.

It is possible that the Bedford 28hp overhead valve engine has GM roots as the Vauxhall group was part of GM.

The inlet valves are very long and the exhaust valves match shorter, this is because the combustion chambers awkward form.

The exhaust valves are not the problem as thees are plentiful available!

Guy

I would think that the Bedford engine would be closer related to the chevy 214 engine from a CMP Chevrolet truck, they certainly look a lot like each other.

I think the Bedford engine was an improved version of the Chev. It had a timing chain instead of gear driven camshaft, but above all, it had pressure fed big ends instead of the "squirt and hope" method on Chevs, where they had oil jets aimed at the big ends.

Almost there with the engine, fond some inlet valves and as soon as they arrive I will start with the cylinder head.

Put the complete block in to black paint as original, I am not to fond on the greenish paint that was used after the army rebuild.

Striped the carburettor and had the stuck butterfly valve spindle strip as this was solid lock t on the little bronze bearings in the carb body . Just bee careful as the butterfly turns on the spindle by some needle rollers and fall al over the place if you are not careful. The free turning butterfly is attached to spring and this is because there is a governor used to regulate the maximum speed.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the cabin, the floor and wheel arches are repaired and I put some fresh metal on the backside of the cabin.

Almost there with this section ,the only work left are the two front corners that need some work.

Just some redressing and some repair and this cabin part can go to the sandblasters.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg