Folkingham

marvinthemartian

Had a jaunt over to the old airfield at Folkingham today, with permission of course, which as many will know is owned by Stephen Green, and is home to a collection of all sorts of old machinery and vehicles. My intention was to have a walk round and get some photos of the military bits and bobs he has, and mainly reference pics of the Martians that he has, but since my last visit about 2 years ago, he has had the gas axe out and is currently cutting everything up for scrap. He has one Martian left, an FV1110, which I have got a few bits off.

I did ask him why, and he replied that it was down to good price of scrap and society's low life.

The vehicles that I remember there were 5 Martians, a couple of Antars, can't remember how many Hippos, Humber Pig and 1 ton, though have a feeling someone may have bought this. a Scammell Explorer, odd Bedfords, Commer Q4, a DUKW, possibly a Nubian crash tender, Smiths 10 ton rough terrain crane, this is still there at present. Sure there are others that I can't remember.

Shame really, but I can see Stephens point of view. I will have a dig out and see what photos I can find from years back when I first started visiting.

Simon

While it is sad to see and hear about events such as these the one thing that happens each time is the value of what others own that have escaped the fate of the gas axe goes up.

It is after all his kit to do with what he will, and such a shame to hear about parts evaporating into razor blades, but it is all his and he does pay the tax bill.

R

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a rummage through old photos, and got quite a few scanned in. A great deal of the pics were yaken in the early 90's when I first found out about the place. And it is also where I got my inspiration for getting a Martian, as this is where I first clapped eyes on one.

First up is an Antar lurking in the undergrowth, then I think it's a Leyland Hippo? aircraft refueller. Next a Commer Q4 and finally a Bedford QL ex RAF bowser. This still survives as of last visit.

KSCN0077.jpg

KSCN0088.jpg

KSCN0099.jpg

KSCN0100.jpg

Last lot I think, though there may be more if I dig deeper. Leyland Martians, FV1103 and an FV1121 at the end. Still haven't got any shots of the remaining FV1110, but that will change in the New year, before the axe man cometh.

The first Martian pic is exactly how I came across the Martian as a vehicle, and it just went on from there.

43BM54 a.jpg

43BM54 b.jpg

44BM56.jpg

47BM66.jpg

42BM84.jpg

....and at the end an ex RAF snowplough, at present the manufacturer escapes me.

I can help jog your memory :-D

AWD, using a P6 engine and Commer Superpoise cab. Dorman 6 cyl engine in van driving two underslung props to blowers. Axles look like Bedford but transfer box remains a mystery.

Will have a set of running gear - or complete chassis cab less engine - available soon if anyone can make use of it. Usual caveat re. scrap price applies!