Austin Tilly - Light Utility - BASKET CASE - anyone need parts ?

Fugly

I have photographed the remains of what I think is an Austin Tilly. It is completely rotted out , but may contain some much needed component?

For all you Tilly Buffs out there , Its chassis number is C/YG 220082.

Chassis has collapsed, but engine , gearbox and axle appear largely intact.

Aint it a shame.......................

It may be for sale - But whats the value??

DSCF1214.jpg

DSCF1215.jpg

DSCF1216.jpg

Edited by Joris

Were these produced as a utility in production, or has it been later chopped along the roof line. I ask this having not seen one in NZ, and from the photos it looks like a wooden back to the cab, suggesting the chop concept.

I have a later A40 ute here that has been converted from a car body, with the rear panel of the cab being the back wall of the car. Simply they removed a section of the roof and sides that comprised the rear passenger compartment.

Overall the Tilly looks complete, the panels are there, and would appear lots of the smaller items needed to finish the car. Another chassis, wood work for the doors etc and its all go! Probably most expensive section would be interior seat recovering and trim.

Doug:nut:

Were these produced as a utility in production, or has it been later chopped along the roof line. I ask this having not seen one in NZ, and from the photos it looks like a wooden back to the cab, suggesting the chop concept.

I have a later A40 ute here that has been converted from a car body, with the rear panel of the cab being the back wall of the car. Simply they removed a section of the roof and sides that comprised the rear passenger compartment.

Overall the Tilly looks complete, the panels are there, and would appear lots of the smaller items needed to finish the car. Another chassis, wood work for the doors etc and its all go! Probably most expensive section would be interior seat recovering and trim.

Yes, they were produced as a light utility, there were also models from Hillman, Morris and Standard.

Doug,

The Austin 10hp Utiltiy was purpose made in great numbers by Austin throughout the war for military use, along with similar models from Morris, Hillman and Standard. To be honest the most expensive part would be the bodywork, interior trim is minimal and would be by far the easier part.

The rear body was constructed of wood frame work with metal panels attached and then built on to the car floor pan.

Thanks for the info. I have since located a web site devoted to the Tilly. Body design of the passenger compartment is basic with no rear panel at all.

Amongst the piles here is the remains of a 10/4 in very poor body condition. The idea has been set in motion as to a use for this pile of parts now, but first there are a few other pressing projects to work on.

Doug;)

Value?! in this shape as scrap :embarrassed:

I need for my project: seats, front bumper, rear gate, pick axe bracket (located under the dash board), rear body matal boxes fitted on the mudguards. :cool2:

Recovery whole "car" will be expensive for me. :nut:

The Utility were made in production. The Light Utility is based on the Austin Ten Saloon (model 1939), but the door is in fact wider then that of the saloon. I think it's a chop concept from the war. They needed a light utility and fast, so this was the easiest way. They just had to make little changes to the excisiting production line.

It looks complete, but some parts are gone. The dash and engine are complete, but the tail is gone. The tail is quit easy to reproduce. And it's been done before.

From the colour, do you think it was used by the RAF?

I cannot see any registration numbers on it. My Dad can remember it on the road many years ago, so it must have had a civilian registration number? Can the chassis number lead to clues on its wartime use?

So after a weeks careful negotiating I have been able to buy the Tilly, and we recovered it today. I am pleased to say that for the first time in many years the Tilly will be under cover ... Well at least undertarpaulin :-D

The bad news is the condition.... Here is a list of the good points:

We found the bonnet ! Reasonable condition

2 repairable front wings

engine, gearbox, front and rear axle all complete

All brackets there ( Including the pick axe bracket!)

Both doors reasonable

Headlamps sound ( but smashed)

seats intact, and frames strong

Instrumentation complete

Bad points :

rear half chassis rotten as a pear

Rear body rotten, only the wheel arches are ok

CAB ROOF AND DOOR PILLAR BOTTOMS ARE RUSTY

BULKHEAD HOLED

Any ideas - I know the previous owner and dont really want to sell it for parts - anyone renovated one of these ?

I read in an old report that the chassis is similar to an Austin 10 car ? How close would it be and could I ever get a better chassis off a car? Help and advice please :cry:

• 1 year later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54061[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54062[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54063[/ATTACH]

I have photographed the remains of what I think is an Austin Tilly. It is completely rotted out , but may contain some much needed component?

For all you Tilly Buffs out there , Its chassis number is C/YG 220082.

Chassis has collapsed, but engine , gearbox and axle appear largely intact.

Aint it a shame.......................

It may be for sale - But whats the value??

Hi,

I'm searching two cyclometers from the dash panel for my tilly 10 and the 2 headlights we can see on the pictures.

Do you still have them, would you send it to France, for whiche price and if possible better pictures of those items.

To right me directly this is my email: bmesple@orange.fr

Great regards