British WWII REME Lightweight Electrical Repair Trailer: Restoration Project

cordenj

Brucie: thanks for photos. The nearside Front View is same as appears in W.O. Code No. 5461 "ID List for Trailers, Wheeled, Lightweight"....except your one is mich better definition.

[quote name=

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70533[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70534[/ATTACH]

Missing modified parts to my knowledge.

Vice mounted n/s body on a runner & possibly a swivel base?. Yes, a large Vice (a Record. Number?) is missing, although on my trailer you can see "L-shaped" plates still welded to top of nearside locker for vice to mount to. But these plates look similar design (although larger) than the pair fitted to the Electrical Repair Trailer, where the vice rotates by 90 degrees between travelling and work postions. In you photo, I can now see that there was clearly another version with the vice sliding backwards and forwards....but I can't think why as it doesn't effect the overall width of trailer.

Item mounted o/s body could possibly be an engine crank handle? Very likely, and I am currently looking for a suitable crank handle for the Austin 10 engine.

Looking at photo possible bar missing from under engine hood or the hood could be tilted covering it. Yes, I think you are right there. I'll post some more photos later of the trailer with cover/petrol tank removed.

Rear tow hitch is of a different type? Yes probably the early WWII version. I beleive a lot where changed to the later/larger rear hitches at same time thast the towing rings were replaced with the larger diameter versions (as fitted to all my trailers)

The quality of the pictures in my book are poor so hope this helps - Yes, thanks again.

Looking at the photo of the vice mount again, I think it may be a sliding type after all. Will see when all stripped down:

IMG_1695 (Medium).JPG

The only ID plate on the trailer chassis is this:

IMG_5628 (Medium).JPG

Post War number was 57YM71 and looks to have been refurbished in May 1955, could have been when the WWII smaller gas bottles where removed from the side lockers and the larger horizontal bottle clamps were installed.

The holes are visible in usual place on main chassis for the original maufacturer's plate and Contract No and "X" number, but unfortunately its missing.

Hi Richard,

The engine has oil in it and no water in massive radiator...which is all good.

I suppose the rad is so large because there is no water pump and the flow is by convection?

Engine turns over freely by hand, but I've never had any experience of magnetos before, so that will be interesting!

What's the welding plant like?

Tony,

Here are some photos of it:

IMG_1686 (Medium).JPG

Seems to be threaded connections for major steps in Amperage. I'm not entirely sure what the alloy box at front is. It has the circular knob that can be rotated to marks from 1- 30, could be some kind of way of finely altering welding current?

IMG_1684 (Medium).JPG

The Austin engine seems to be directly connected to the DC Dynamo (looks very similar to DC sets I've seen on old fairground rides), no clutch.

There is very little on the web about these mobile plants, so I'll only really know when I start to dismantle/strip down of each major part.

IMAG0133 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

John,

That box on the front with the knob and dial is where you adjust the amperage to suit the rod and weld that you are doing. As Murex is still in business it is worth contacting their technical dept to see if they have a manual to scan for you. I have had great success in the past with enquiries like this.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Brucie,

Your quote from the REME book (could you tell be the title please? I should try to find a copy) includes:

"...... and an all-metal welded bench with removable legs is carried in a space in the side of the trailer. "

This bench will be of a similar design to those I've built for the Electrical Repair trailer, but a smaller size. It could be that the extra steel framing in your photo are workbench legs and bracing bars.

The only photo I have of MUREX trailer in use is this quite well known one, that includes one of the benches your post refers to. Will be easy now to make one (although I'm sure this is a "staged" photo as I can't believe anyone would carry out extensive MMA welding using what looks like gas welding goggles without developing a good suntan!). The benchtop may fit alongside the engine in the gap between the chassis and top/fuel tank and also explain the short webbing securing straps on my trailer that can also be seen on this one :

In use - welder.jpg

While looking online, I did find this nice photo, I'm guessing it almost certainly would have been some kind of mobile welding plant.

WWII vintage?

Could even have been a MUREX trailer ;):

large.jpg

Hi John

The names of the books are Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Vol 1 & Vol 2

Vol 1 Organisation and operations

Vol 2 Technical

Both volumes were distributed by the war office in 1951

They are a history of the start of the REME and while I was browsing HMVF yesterday I sa someone offer 2 of the above mentioned books to Clive FV1609 Field marshall.

It was under the forum Vehicles - British Vehicles- Pictures of wading vehicles.

I also had another thought about the Vice mounting the metal struts on the n/s body running parrallel to the engine could also be reinforcement for the vice mounting instead of a sliding device as I should imagine the metal for the stowage bins above the wheel arches may not be sufficiently strong enough to accomodate the vice on its own?

Regards

Brucie

Thanks Brucie,

I've contacted Clive re the Vol 1; but suspect that much of the equipment info is in Vol 2. Will have to look out for one of those.

Re the vice mounting: I plan to start some dismantling of the MUREX over the Christmas break, so will investigate.

Thanks Brucie,

I've contacted Clive re the Vol 1; but suspect that much of the equipment info is in Vol 2. Will have to look out for one of those.

Re the vice mounting: I plan to start some dismantling of the MUREX over the Christmas break, so will investigate.

Hi John,

The pages from the REME book Vol.2 attached. The vice is shown. These are taken by my phone, when scanner is working might get come better images.

regards, Richard

Murex 1.jpg

Murex 2.JPG

Thanks Brucie,

Hi John I've both vols 1 & 2 had them for years. You are welcome to borrow them

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year to all

Regards

Robin

John, fantastic piece of work, I used a Sankey trailer in civvy guise behind our Series II Land Rover in the 70s and worked it till there was just an axle and drawbar left. Have owned scores of different trailers and always interested in drills, tools and equipment but reading this thread has given me a new respect for the genre.

Thanks, Geoff

Hi guys, and any ladies who are on here?

I am looking for a murex trailer to add to my unit, anything considered; if anyone has or hears of one I would be interested. At present I have a 5kva cov climax gen trailer, and I would be up for part ex or swap, even sale, after i fill the murex requirement. Restored and running, it is post war but with wartime stenciling and is still a nice item.

I've missed out on three so far, so still looking. please help.....

Regards, Neil

PS: Nice work John, but you are making it hard for me to keep up!:)

Thanks Neil. Will let you know if I hear of another MUREX for sale.

Painting of workbenches all finished (in British olive drab in the end).

While may not have been designed for this, I've found out what they also perfect for :-):

IMG_1780 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1783 (Medium).JPG

This is just a trial for next year's events.......

Cheers and Merry Christmas

I am looking for a murex trailer to add to my unit, anything considered; if anyone has or hears of one I would be interested. At present I have a 5kva cov climax gen trailer, and I would be up for part ex or swap, even sale, after i fill the murex requirement. Restored and running, it is post war but with wartime stenciling and is still a nice item.

Regards, Neil]

Below are some photos of Neil's Genny trailer that he is offering in part-ex or swop:

IMG_0465 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0464 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0463 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0462 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0461 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0460 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

The whole garage is spotless but it is the nearly empty bottle of Talisker that is worrying - it was full last time i saw it.

Well done John, a superb restoration.

Happy Christmas and a Murex New Year!!

hi Tony,

Like the nearly empty bottle of 30 year old Blue Hanger here, that was full once ;)

Best wishes to you all. Looking forward to an arc welding demo at W&P Revival with the Murex welder. Hope that is not putting too much pressure on you John?

best regards, Richard

The whole garage is spotless but it is the nearly empty bottle of Talisker that is worrying - it was full last time i saw it.

Well done John, a superb restoration.

Happy Christmas and a Murex New Year!!

Don't worry Mr Lawrence......Santa made sure it is full again now!

hi Tony,

Like the nearly empty bottle of 30 year old Blue Hanger here, that was full once ;)

Best wishes to you all. Looking forward to an arc welding demo at W&P Revival with the Murex welder. Hope that is not putting too much pressure on you John?

best regards, Richard

Thanks Richard: May not be as quick with this restoration ....so MuREX probably will not be done for the first Revival, so I'll have to just drag along the Electrical Repair trailer.