British WWII REME Lightweight Electrical Repair Trailer: Restoration Project

cordenj

Hi Richard that's the trailer I have the picture of, I could do with some dimensions if you could suply them please?? I now have the hitch and the rear leg brackets but I still need the handbrake assy and the front leg bracket.

Thanks to Geoff and Ross for the bits :)

Dave

Hi Dave I noticed you have posted to Richard for info on the binned store trailers,Richard kindly provided me with info for my rebuild. I had to have the locker catches cast from an original as they are hard to find, especialy as you need 8+. It seems that the end doors might have been deleated as they cannot be opned when the trailer is hitched up with the legs raised. It also seems that late models where of monocoque construction like the normal 10 cwt trailer but with a No 2 type chassis. Unfortunatly info is scarce I can only pass on what I've been told by Vets who used John C's trailer with 100 Regt LAD REME and also had a binned store trailer.

Regards

Robbie (Artifficer)

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled upon this thread and I just had to comment, this trailer is a thing of beauty. Maybe it's the bloke in me but I do have a deep seated fondness for the old Engineering setups. And this one is just beautiful!! Cracking job mate...I am deeply envious!

Just stumbled upon this thread and I just had to comment, this trailer is a thing of beauty. Maybe it's the bloke in me but I do have a deep seated fondness for the old Engineering setups. And this one is just beautiful!! Cracking job mate...I am deeply envious![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments. It has certainly got a lot of interest at shows this summer.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A while since I've posted on the thread been too busy out with Jeep and various trailers.

I took the REME trailer to Brooklands last Sunday in perfect weather. It seemed to be of interest to visitors and I fielded a lot of queries and questions (photo taken at 8:30am before the crowds arrived!):

Copy (1) of IMG_1651 (Medium).JPG

As planned, now that winter has set in am going to build two exact copies of the collapsable work benches.

These are going to be to the patterns I made from the benches at the REME reserve collection at Bordon last December.

Neil built two for his Machinery version of this trailer for the display at W&P in July, so I know the plans are ok.

Just basic woodwork and welding of the frames, but I'll post up a few photos for completeness.

Hardwood rebated boards pulled together by long threaded coachbolt. As I couldn't find a BSW bolts that length, I welded a head onto steel rod and threaded the end. Each board drilled accurately and the whole set then mounted on the rods and clamped up tight :

Copy (1) of IMG_1648 (Medium).JPG

Next stage is the make the four square leg sections. I'll do that before I drill and rebate the wooden tops.

Copy (1) of IMG_1644 (Medium).JPG

Copy (1) of IMG_1647 (Medium).JPG

Couple of more photos of the workbench frames. MMA welded mild steel angle:

IMG_1666 (Medium).JPG

I've been looking for another 6 volt battery box to match the one Robbie passed to me near the start of the restoration (see post #30). Nothing at Stoneleigh or War & Peace.

Finally last week, a year long worldwide Ebay search turned one up in the North Midlands. I managed to win it for a very reasonable £7.99p. It had been in someone's shed for 40 years and for some reason they decided it might be worth something and put it on Ebay rather thanleave it gathering dust.... said it had gone to a good home!

While it was made by a different manufacturer (C.E.S. Ltd.) in all other respects its the twin of the one I got from Robbie's and fits the trailer perfectly.

A couple of photos below of it after a scrub with water, and I'll then give it a varnish and repaint black metal parts:

IMG_1706 (Medium).JPG

Another missing piece in the jigsaw, and nearly there now with only the workbenches needing completion.[/color]

IMG_1708 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1667 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1707 (Medium).JPG

Have been working on benches today and finished refurbishment of the second battery box:

IMG_1714 (Medium).JPG

...and the first I one form Robbie for comparison:

IMG_4358 (Medium).JPG

I 've also found another piece of the original CES: a small 1/4" capacity Black & Decker HOLGUN drill, below is an original 1944 vintage advert of what I was looking for:

Black & Decker advert 1944 (Medium).jpg

Found one this week, again sourced via Ebay. I will dismantle and rewire before use, but here it is "as found":

IMG_1715 (Medium).JPG

These photos below are for Danny, who wanted to know what the studs were like that hold the two springs on the standatd later model of WWII trailer hitch. Two differnbe tlengths, but simply a piece of rod, turned recess for spring and threaded to fit into hitch. This thread isn't BSW alothough the nut is, maybe thread is UNF.

IMG_1759 (Medium).JPG

Hope this helps Danny.

IMG_1713 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1716 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1755 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1756 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1757 (Medium).JPG

Excellent thread John! I am following this very keenly! Thank you for the bench plans by the way. Can you tell me, what type of wood did you use for the top working surface?

I remember using these benches myself in Service during the eighties. And also with one unit later, when I was attached to the TA.

I belive they are still used today When available. They usually stay on a units charge, as there are none left in the system to indent for if they are written off!

If you damage/smash one beyond repair. You cannot indent for a replacement, they dont exist!.....

Excellent thread John! I am following this very keenly! Thank you for the bench plans by the way. Can you tell me, what type of wood did you use for the top working surface? QUOTE]

I think they may originally have been teak.

Neil (agincourt No1 on this forum) sourced the timber for his and my benches back in the summer from a local wood supplier to him (Bedford). I think it was just a "reasonably priced" foreign hardwood....still quite expensive ....but it should last.

That interesting that these benches are still in use in 1980's .... they are very robust and would take a lot to smash them, so wonder if any exist in use now?

When displaying the trailer in the summer, each time I have had current serving REME see it and say they wish they something as useful to work on/from today. Apparantly all they get now are sets of tools (good quality e.g. Snap-on), but have to just load them into a vehicle or standard trailer with no worksurfaces or fixed vice.

John, Only SOME units have them. That was due to someone having the foresite to see how usefull they are. & Refusing to backload them as 'Obsolete Equipment' for disposal!

I know of a TA Unit no too far from Me, that has two of them. The particular 'Tiffy' involved with them, has a mindset like me.

'These are excellent for use in the field, & I am NOT going to let them go from my sticky fingers!'

'If nessacary, I will write them off as scrapped as B.E.Rd (Beyond ecconomical repair) but keep them hidden away each year from any unit inspections from outside teams! And bring 'em out on exercise each time in the truck, for use when required'............End of!

It DOES go on, believe me!

We used to have a large Bench Vice bolted permanantly to the front Bumper of the Recovery Wagon. Common practice in most units also! 434 Recovery Tracked Vehilces had a drop down 'Table' on chains at the rear. This also had a vice bolted to it, another usefull work surface! But these twe methods were generally for Vehicle Mechanics. The Armourer needed his own workbench really. & that is where these tables came in, for Service usage in the Field. They WERE, as you know. Also used by Vm's & Electricians as well. Back in the day!........

Edited by ferretfixer

The wood in question (sourced form the carpenters workshop in the place next door to where I work) is "sapele" we had 4 sets cut to thickness , tongue and grooved at the right width planks ,then cut a little over length. I assembled mine drilled and bolted them up and then trimed ends flush .

If anyone wants a quote for some wood please send me a PM.

yet again nice photos john

Thanks Neil. That's a very useful offer and will be a great help to the other builders.

These benches are designed to be transported in a recess in the front of the trailer. The floor of this recess has 4 holes drilled in it, clearly for bolts or screws. So I've made up two runners from oak offcuts, which are then secured using the original holes in the floor.

IMG_1779_2 (Medium).JPG

Anyway, I've now completed the two benches for this trailer and the frames will just need is a coat of paint when weather warms up:

.....photos on following post....

IMG_1778_2 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

The missing photos from my previous post (dont know what happened there):

IMG_1777 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1774 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1776 (Medium).JPG

The restoration of this REME Lightweight Electrical Repair Trailer is complete.

Thanks to all who have added to this thread, which has turned into a wider resource on Lightweight WWII REME trailers.

IMG_1772 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1773 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1775 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

A member of this forum recently contacted me to ask how to find a British 10cwt trailer.

I said that they seemed to "find" me, but gave the usual sources of MILWEB, Greensheet and Ebay and said you needed to be patient as they don't often appear.

I've been lucky over the past three years and have restored these trailers :

- 10cwt Cargo Lightweight, 2 - Wh No1. Mk 2;

- 10cwt, Water Lightweight, 2 - WH, 100 Gal (Airborne Water Bowser);

- and this 10cwt, Electrical Repair Lightweight, 2 - WH

So the last thing I was searching for is another Lightweight trailer....but another one has "found" me in the last couple of weeks.

A good mate went to have a look at a general auction in Norfolk near his cottage, where they were just selling furniture, "antiques" and other farm stuff. Not militaria, but amongst the outside lots were a very good Coventry Climax Fire pump trailer....and a MUREX welding trailer.

Apparently, several potential bidders were looking at it for scrap value (a lot of copper in the large very heavy dynamo).

To cut a long story short, my friend bid for me and am now the owner of another Lightweight trailer for restoration.

I'd thought about starting new thread, but as this one has a lot of other info about 10cwt British WWII trailers, I'll just continue here as a resource in one place.....

I believe the Trailer, 2-Wheeled, Lightweight Type, “Electric Welding” was one of the original four types developed by the REME for the Airborne divisions (the other being the Electrical Repair; the Machinery and the Generator, 5K.W.).

Dont know much about the "MUREX" welding trailer.....so any info will be welcome.

I see that they are two others owned by members of this forum, but believe that there are not that many complete trailers left.

It looks like this one has been used on a farm as the towing eye has steel bars welded on to enable it to be towed behind a tractor drawbar. I have a spare towing eye/pin box which we used to tow it back to Surrey; but it looks like the original eye is in good condition, so first job is to remove the steel blocks and refit original eye.

Having only just finshed the Electrical Repair restoration, you can imagine how pleased my wife is with all of this......

Edited by cordenj

To cut a long story short, my friend bid for me and am now the owner of another Lightweight trailer for restoration.

I'd thought about starting new thread, but as this one has a lot of other info about 10cwt British WWII trailers, I'll just continue here as a resource in one place

I believe the Trailer, 2-Wheeled, Lightweight Type, “Electric Welding” was one of the original four types developed by the REME for the Airborne divisions (the other being the Electrical Repair; the Machinery and the Generator, 5K.W.).

Dont know much about the "MUREX" welding trailer.....so any info will be welcome.

Admit it: you're just trying to collect the full set! :D

Seriously, very well done and I admire your skill and determination. The Electrical Repair Trailer rebuild was a work of Craft (not just Art).

Chris.

There are 5 trailers (not 4) to my knowledge in the collection you mentions if you are completing the set which are illustrated in the REME Technical Book apart from the laundry trailers.The book also mentions the mobile workshop shelters that would have probably being used alongside these trailers?

Trailer 2-Wheeled, Lightweight, Type 5Kw Generator(Also battery charging):- The function of this trailer is to provide power for the machinery and electrical repair trailers, for charging batteries, and to illuminate the lightweight portable workshop shelter.

Trailer, 2-Wheeled, Lightweight Type"Machinery":- For use with airborne formations. Normally associated with other types of trailers to form a unit. The 5Kw generator trailer is used to provide the power to drive the machine tools.

Trailer 2-Wheeled, Lightweight Type Z (Calibration & Repair of Telecommunications Equipment) This trailer fills the role of mobile testing, calibration and repair workshop for wireless sets and such other telecommunications equipment in the need of overhaul and repair

Trailer, 2-Wheeled, lightweight, Type "Electrical Repair" No explanation needed here!!!!!

Trailer, 2-Wheeled, Lightweight Type "Electric Welding"

There are 5 trailers (not 4) to my knowledge in the collection you mentions if you are completing the set which are illustrated in the REME Technical Book apart from the laundry trailers.The book also mentions the mobile workshop shelters that would have probably being used alongside these trailers?

Trailer 2-Wheeled, Lightweight, Type 5Kw Generator(Also battery charging):- The function of this trailer is to provide power for the machinery and electrical repair trailers, for charging batteries, and to illuminate the lightweight portable workshop shelter.

Trailer, 2-Wheeled, Lightweight Type"Machinery":- For use with airborne formations. Normally associated with other types of trailers to form a unit. The 5Kw generator trailer is used to provide the power to drive the machine tools.

Trailer 2-Wheeled, Lightweight Type Z (Calibration & Repair of Telecommunications Equipment) This trailer fills the role of mobile testing, calibration and repair workshop for wireless sets and such other telecommunications equipment in the need of overhaul and repair

Trailer, 2-Wheeled, lightweight, Type "Electrical Repair" No explanation needed here!!!!!

Trailer, 2-Wheeled, Lightweight Type "Electric Welding"

Thanks Brucie,

Yes I always forget the "Type Z".

None survive, that I'm aware of; and there doesn't seem to be any photos (just a line drawing).

BUT I believe "Type Z" and "Electric Welding" (MUREX) were the only types flown into Wolfheze by glider as part of the airborne REME in September '44. The other trailers formed part of the Airborne Div's seaborne tail.

Edited by cordenj

Admit it: you're just trying to collect the full set! :D

Seriously, very well done and I admire your skill and determination. The Electrical Repair Trailer rebuild was a work of Craft (not just Art).

Chris.

The expression 'anorak' springs to mind but then some of us have had to live with the week by week story of these trailers. Luckily he has a very understanding wife and family!!

Thank-you Anthony, your input is always valued. By the way, when are you going to post up some photos of your own four trailer collection? ;)

Anyway....

Recovered the Welding trailer from Norfolk. Appropriately, we used my mate's Gulf War V8 REME LR.

Swapped over the tow hitch with my spare. Additional lights and reflectors to be seen.....and we never exceeded 50mph, (which puts the typical 45-50 mph of my Jeep into perspective)

Took two spare wheels, but ran trailer back on it's old tyres without any problems.

IMG_1674 (Medium).JPG

Next will be to fix and refit the original tow hitch.

IMG_1676 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1670 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1671 (Medium).JPG

Photos missing from Post #140.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70527[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70528[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70526[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70529[/ATTACH]

John

Looks like its had a few alterations and additions thru time compared to the pictures of the original.

Hi John

Find attached 2 x scanned attachment that are in the REME book.

Welding Trailer 3.jpg

The following info is the extracts from the book which for some reason is to big to upload as a document.

Purpose:- To provide facilities for carrying out welding repairs and dealing with structural modifications of equipment in the forward echelons. Work such as cutting, brass welding and brazing can also be carried out with the lightweight gas welding outfit which forms part of the equipment.

Description:- The petrol engine driven generator is carried on a sub frame mounted within the main frame which forms the axle. Short stub axles which carry the road wheels are welded to the main frame. This arrangement permits the trailer and equipment to come within the height prescribed by the restricted space of a glider. The lightweight gas welding and cutting equipment is carried, together with accessories and engine spares in boxes fitted over the road wheels and an all-metal welded bench with removable legs is carried in a space in the side of the trailer. Avice is fitted to the framework of the trailer, the framework forming a working bench, and an overall canvas cover affords protection from the weather. Weight of trailer laden 17cwt 2 qr.

Major Equipment:-

1. Plant welding and cutting, H.P, oxy-acetylene (lightweight)

2. Plant welding, electric, single operator, engine driven (lightweight).

Missing modified parts to my knowledge.

Vice mounted n/s body on a runner & possibly a swivel base?.

Item mounted o/s body could possibly be an engine crank handle?

Looking at photo possible bar missing from under engine hood or the hood could be tilted covering it.

Rear tow hitch is of a different type?

The quality of the pictures in my book are poor so hope this helps

Regards

Brucie

Welding Trailer 1.jpg