British WWII REME Lightweight Electrical Repair Trailer: Restoration Project

cordenj

Hi John,

I am glad to see this trailer found the right person to restore it, you are doing a wonderful job there. Look forward to seeing your workshop display at shows this Summer !

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard,

Something this unusual deserves to be preserved .... so doing the best job I can. Hope to take it to Amberley and will defintely be at Ardingly and W&P.

Don't know if you have read the whole thread, but I've set out to record the whole restoration in detail (probably too much detail for many!) as a resource to help anyone else who wants to restore a 10cwt trailer.

A couple of other semiderelict 10 cwt REME special trailers have been discovered and saved since I started last autumn, so makes me wonder how many are still out there waiting to be found.

Cheers

hi john

do you come to the war and peache show this summer with your reme trailer

i want to see your trailer live

hans prijs

Evening Hans,

Yes, I will be there from Thursday.

I've been asked to take the Water Bowser again, but can only tow one trailer on the road....so plan the take the REME Lightweight this year.

Don't know if you have read the whole thread, but I've set out to record the whole restoration in detail (probably too much detail for many!) as a resource to help anyone else who wants to restore a 10cwt trailer.

hi John,

I have followed your thread with interest. As you know, I knew of this trailer for years, and the late owner would have loved to have seen it restored, but at least he saved it.

For any one interested I will be taking the afore mentioned "trailer, 2-wheeled, lightweight type MACHINERY" to the war and peace show in july where along with an airborne binned trailer we hope to entice john to park up with us to set up number 7 L.A.D. . If we can we will try to get our 110 genny along to power some of the tools but the 240s will be running!

hope to get visit from some of you

neil agincourt no1

Rob get some pics of your up and I will do some of mine

Edited by agincourt no1

Thanks PB,

I have 25mm x 3mm flat steel strip for the five connecting bars and have assumed it is all arc-welded together.

Is that correct?

Cheers

Apologies John,

The trailer is in a museum in the next county and I haven't had a chance to get over to check it.

Your frame looks good to me. :)

As you can tell, her owner Neil is now on here too so, between the pair of you, you should get most things sorted out.

All the best,

PB

For any one interested I will be taking the afore mentioned "trailer, 2-wheeled, lightweight type MACHINERY" to the war and peace show in july where along with an airborne binned trailer we hope to entice john to park up with us to set up number 7 L.A.D. . If we can we will try to get our 110 genny along to power some of the tools but the 240s will be running!

Hi Neil,

Have accepted Robin's offer to join your display at W&P with this trailer, so all together should make an interesting display.

Hope you are able to bring the 110v DC genny, can then run the Van Norman and ATLAS Grinders.

Could also try out the Admiralty still.....on water.

Have been contining to work on the trailer; but took today to visit "Agincourt No1", from this forum, to see his rebuilt Lightweight REME Machinery Trailer in the midlands; and for him to take measurements from my original canvas cover to make a copy.

Lots of compared notes and shared info. We found that while the machinery and electrical repair trailers appear very similar there are in fact a number of manufacturing differences (only of interest for someone building one from scratch, or trying to identfy the type from a pile of rusted parts!).

As this thread has developed into one that is capturing information on all REME variants, I will post some photos of the machinery trailer as purchased and as it appears today after a lot of reconstruction (note the lathe is a post-war Myford. Original fitting would have been an even heavier 41/2" lathe ...possibly a Harrison).

IMG_0424 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0451 (Medium).JPG

Both this Machinery Trailer and my Electrical Repair version wil be at War & Peace in July.

IMG_0472 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0423 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0425 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0426 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0427 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0437 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0438 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0439 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0449 (Medium).JPG

After the short excursion to Neil's REME Machinery, trailer back to the Electrical Repair version:

I've been dismantling, cleaning, repainting and refitting a couple of the original pieces of equipment. The 110v D.C ATLAS bench grinder and the Maxlume light. A reminder of their condition when acquired last autumn:

IMG_1603 (Medium).JPG

The grinder is incredibly heavy, just the motor weighs around 80lbs, and that is without the substantial cast base. As I've said before with this trailer, "lightweight" is a relative term. Stripping the machine showed it was originally grey (manufacturer's colour?), then had turned green and then had grey paint as seen in the photos above. So I've returned to British green. The original brass data plates had not been painted at any time, so I've cleaned them up. The ATLAS plate was held on with large roof felting tacks...suspect that wasn't original so retapped the motor body and used BA brass machine screws:

IMG_0481 (Medium).JPG

I've refitted the Maxlume light with 3 x 60Watt 240v bulbs, fully rewired it throughout and it works perfectly .... a useful additon to my workshop, and won't just sit on the trailer between shows:

IMG_0482 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0486 (Medium).JPG

One of the few pieces of the original kit that did not come with the trailer is a Black & Decker Vibro-Centric Valve seat refacer. These were supplied to the industrial market in 1940's a fitted wooden case; from what I can ascertain the WWII military version came in a metal case that fitted into one of the purpose designed compartments in the trailer. I've now secured one of these sets and collect it tomorrow, another piece in the jigsaw.[/color]

IMG_0487 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0477 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0478 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0479 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0480 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0483 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0484 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0485 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1627 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

Evening Andy,

You'll be very welcome, p.m. me when to fancy a run round the M25.

Your one at Bordon still has the collapsible benches which I will make from scratch....but that will be a job for next winter; priority now is to finish the trailer to show it this summer.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have been in contact with the curator of the REME Museum at Arborfield, and as a result the trailer's first public outing will be to the REME Corps Day on 16th June at Arborfield Garrison.

2012 is the 70th anniversary of the formation of the REME and this day is part of the celebrations.

See poster and details at: http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/news.aspx?nid=9

The organisers' plan is to have a lineup of MVs with REME connections, from the earliest to the current equipment, lining the access road from Rocket Gate, so should be a treat for any MV enthusiast.....and families.

I believe they are keen to hear from owners of any other historical REME vehicles, who would like to be part of the display.

Edited by cordenj

A cased Black & Decker Vibro-Centric Valve seat refacer and Standard Stone Dressing Stand were part of the original equipment.

I found one for sale near Portsmouth and picked it up a couple of weeks ago and this is what it looks like:

IMG_0516 (Medium).JPG

The case had been "Hammerited" on outside, but inside still in original B&D red paint;

I've now stripped and repainted the outside (under the Hammerite was standard British Green O/D, then B&D Red gloss) . Wasn't sure where it went in the trailer, but the photo below shows it in BondaPrimer slotted perfectly into original purpose made housing:

IMG_0524 (Medium).JPG

You can see from the fittings that other kit was designed to go into this part of trailer but not sure what yet.

I believe the full list of equipment was listed in the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Regulations: Vehicles General (Issue 1, 1946) .....does anyone have a copy of the relevent pages?

IMG_0517 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0518 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0523_1 (Medium).JPG

FINISHED (except for the benches)..... signficantly different to the first post to this thread last November.

I said before that I will make the collapsible workbenches from scratch, but that is a job for this winter. First public outing will be REME 70th at Arborfield in June, and then part of a much larger Airborne display at W&P in July.

.IMG_0533 (Medium).JPG

Markings added using excellent stencils from my usual source...Tony at Axholme Signs.

Placement and size of X-numbers all based on original photos:

IMG_0543 (Medium).JPG

Original cover was hand washed (several times), rotten leather straps all replaced by a local saddler, camouflage pattern added in matt black paint and then all waterproofed with Thompson's Waterseal.

This is the only original cover I am aware of that has survived. It is of a complicated pattern, and if anyone wishes to have a copy made for their trailer, please ask for more detailed photos of its method of construction.

Some have expressed surprise that leather was used for the straps, where clearly webbing was readily available; but when the old leather was removed there was no sign of previous stitching, so the saddler believes the leather straps were fitted from new.

IMG_0547 (Medium).JPG

Pleased to have been able to restore one of the rarest Airborne Lightweight trailers, and think it has turned out well. This thread has always been intended to be a resource for Lightweight REME trailers, so I encourage anyone else to add relevent content.

WANTED: I am looking for examples of the WWII dated tools to build up the kit, and am still looking for a second Large 6v Battery box, there must be another out there somewhere! If anyone has any leads on where I might find one...please pm me.

Thanks

IMG_0556 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0535 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0536 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0537 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0538 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0540 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0541 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0542 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0545 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0546 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0548 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0549 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0550 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0553 (Medium).JPG

A VEREY Creditable job Buddy! & thats from a REAL EX R.E.M.E Armourer! I am MOST impressed with your craftsmanship & attention to detail.

The research & tracking down of original fitments has been a LONG journey for you, of that I am aware!

I have a traveling Armourers display that is used at shows & I know only too well how difficult it is trying to source original tools, Gauges Etc & trade related emphemera!

Well Done! Another item of rare Corps Related equipment saved for future generation's to marval at!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Collecting the extra kit will continue to be a challenge, but hope that displaying it with the kit I have will help flush out other stuff!

Simon: happy to try to answer any questions on Mk1.

Cheers

Did the frame for the trailer canvas cover have legs to enable it to be used as a roof in rainy weather?

Operating it otherwise in damp conditions would not be the best for the equipment or for the items being worked on.

Doug

Did the frame for the trailer canvas cover have legs to enable it to be used as a roof in rainy weather?

Operating it otherwise in damp conditions would not be the best for the equipment or for the items being worked on.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Not as far as I know; but agree with you and have already considered making some extension pieces for the frame legs to lift the frame and cover.

It would be a simple "field mod" even if it wasn't part of the original design.