British WWII REME Lightweight Electrical Repair Trailer: Restoration Project

cordenj

Evening Richard,

Able to look in more detail at your trailer now.

Could you post up a photo of the whole of the back?

That will help confirm whether it is the Lightweight Electrical Repair or Lightweight Machinery; you will be able to tell by checking against the stripped chassis photos on this thread.

I know of one other Lightweight Machinery trailer, and that has been fitted with a post-war Myford lathe.

This is a photo of a Machinery trailer in use (I scooped this from the web, but cannot recall where):

In use.JPG

ab%204.jpg

The page above was also found on the web and I think comes from a WO publication, just post-war. You can see the large lathe (which I have been told was a Harrison). But others may be able to confirm or correct. Either way, you can see how the whole of the rear section of the trailer is open to enable to lathe to be fitted; and this is a distinguishing difference from the Electrical trailer, as those have a locker on the nearside rear quarter.

Hi John

I am very grateful for your thoughts. It makes me wonder where we would be without contact through the forum. I guess it would be a matter of searching out similar minded people at shows and exchange of correspondence by snail mail over several months or years to find out such historic information that you have kindly provided within the last 24 hours. That's what i call service.:cool2: I will post further photos once i have brought the trailer back to my yard hopefully this weekend. It is my intention to restore the trailer back to its original configuration, although it will have to await attention whilst i complete the restoration of a Ford GP.

Richard

You are very welcome Richard,

I just happen to have a reasonable amount of info, as have restored three types of 10 cwt trailers ... and am happy to share the knowldege.

For me it is what this forum is for!

Cheers

(p.s. Which part of Norfolk? I worked on the fens near Feltwell in the early 1980's)

Main trailer now near complete:

- Wooden decks sprayed;

- New AVON HM Tourist 6 x 16 crossply tyres fitted (http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/293/600-16-avon-tourist--car-tyre--road);

- Convoy plate painted and refitted;

- Lamp retaining strap and brackets;

- Workbench retaining staps;

- 6v battery retaining plates;

- Original mudflaps;

- Trailer lighting cable blank "park" socket;

- Data plate cleaned and refitted;

Am considering whether to apply camouflage scheme (mickey mouse), it would look good...but original? The machine tools had all been painted light grey over their original manufacturer's colours (bright orange/red for Van Norman valve grinder), so would matt black cam been used over rest of trailer, especially when it has a fitted cover?

IMG_0194 (Medium).JPG

Next job is to fit wiring for convoy lamp and lights and then strip and restore the valve grinder....

IMG_4198 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0212 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0211 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0208 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0207 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0206 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0202 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0201 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0198 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0196 (Medium).JPG

Hi John

Following collection of the trailer today and after a few hours cutting off various parts added during its agricultural conversion, i have ended up with the bare WD trailer components or at least whats left of them! The hitch handles have been freed and are now once again free to move, the flat tyres have been pumped up and hold air once again. The rear tow hitch was seized but is now free. The chassis, axle and springs all look to be serviceable with a bit of care. The original floor is 70% solid along with the outer sides of the wheel arches. The remainder of the superstructure is somewhat fragile and will need replacing with new sheet metal work but will provided suitable pattern for its rebuild. The side locker covers were both recovered from under the tank and also look to be serviceable. I have taken several new shots of the rear at your request and hope this may help you confirm its original use. It is interesting to note the steel loops attached under the rear cross member on both sides, i guess to attach a canvas cover. The original wiring is also in place as is all convoy light fittings apart from the bulb! I note from your previous posting that you are considering the final paint scheme for your trailer which looks great, i therefore hope that you can make out that my trailer was once painted in black and green possibly Micky Mouse! As i have no build plate other than at the time of its agricultural conversion which will stay on the restored trailer, would you be able to give an approximate build date.

DSC03305.jpg

DSC03304.jpg

DSC03303.jpg

DSC03302.jpg

DSC03300.jpg

DSC03296.jpg

DSC03295.jpg

Evening Richard,

Excellent. My view is that it is definitely a 10cwt Lightweight Machinery Trailer as developed by the Airborne REME in 1943. So suggest your trailer was built between 1943 - 45.

( I know fully loaded it is said to have weighed 18cwt, but they are still nominally called "10cwt")

You can see some diferences to the main structure from my Electrical Repair version, but the other key clue for me are the two rear transverse box sections. I think this would have formed the solid base for the lathe.

Interestingly, and having asked the question in my post earlier this evening, is that one of your photos shows black and green paint...as you say this could be remains of a "micky mouse" camouflage scheme , and that helps me decide to add that to my trailer. Many thanks.

I have also been sent a photo this evening from another forum member showing Airborne 10cwt Lightweight RASC Binned Trailers on the road to Nijmegan in Sept 1944, and their fitted canvas covers have the classic "mickey mouse" pattern.

Think your trailer is a really good restoration project... but as you have a GP I can see why that would get priority!

When you do get started on the trailer, if I can be of any help with any detailed photos or measurements, let me know.

Cheers

Edited by cordenj

Thanks Simon,

When are you expecting your trailer to arrive in the US?

Due to arrive in LA in 2 weeks. Not sure how long it will take to clear customs and then about a week to get to Colorado. Still trying to figure out if it will fit in the garage with the two jeeps!!

I would suggest that the trailer itself was not 'Mickey Mouse' pattern camo as it would have been a lot of effort for very little practical result, whereas a canvas cover has a lot more visible surface area and so would benefit from such a pattern. However there is bound to be an exception to the rule so go with what you want - no doubt this can be discussed further over a beer!

Afternoon Anthony,

Yes there are always exceptions.

I now have a photo from Robin G of a 10cwt Lightweight Bins trailer enroute to Nijmegan in 1944, with a Mickey Mouse cammed cover AND with signs of same paint effect on the parts of the trailer showing beneath the cover.

Well done for getting "beer" into your second post on HMVF! Will discuss further later.

• 2 weeks later...

Refurbishing and painting ancilliary equipment:

1. Van Norman Valve Grinder all ready to roll....when I get a suitable DC supply.

Rewired, new belts and a clean and repaint.

Van Norman equipment was orange/red when it left factory. This one has then been painted typical British "machine tool grey", over which were traces of green paint.

So I have completely dismantled/degreased/removed all paint, then Bondaprimed/then 2 x coats of light grey enamel/ then 2 x coats of British Olive drab to match the trailer.

It still has the plate from the UK concessionaires E.P.Barrus of Acton:

IMG_0252 (Medium).JPG

2. I have also stripped the single vice that was with the trailer. I was surprised to find that the main body casing was made of bronze. It has steel jaw inserts and the other half of the vice is cast iron. I've not seen one like this before. There are no numbers or other makers marks.

If it was all bronze and with brass jaw inserts I could see that it was designed to prevent sparks, but half and half?

IMG_0249 (Medium).JPG

Any ideas? It is a special model or a mongrel made up of parts from at least two vices?

Thanks

IMG_0128 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0181 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0187 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0233 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0235 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0246 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0251 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

• 2 weeks later...

Balance of opinion and the evidence of old photos and Richard's recently discivered machinery trailer suggest some of these REME traiers were camouflaged.

So have decided to "micky mouse" it.

First I mark it out in chalk using a couple of different sized plates:

IMG_0242 (Medium).JPG

Then brush on a thick coat of Frank Burberry's Matt Black paint. Think it gives a good authentic looking finish:

IMG_0259 (Medium).JPG

Next job could be a challenge: I need to make up the tubular steel frame for the canvas cover from scratch.

I have not seen any of these original frames, so will have to work from a couple of contempory photos.

IMG_0265 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0261 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0260 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0243 (Medium).JPG

Balance of opinion and the evidence of old photos and Richard's recently discivered machinery trailer suggest some of these REME traiers were camouflaged.

So have decided to "micky mouse" it.

First I mark it out in chalk using a couple of different sized plates:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60025[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60026[/ATTACH]

Then brush on a thick coat of Frank Burberry's Matt Black paint. Think it gives a good authentic looking finish:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60021[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60022[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60023[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60024[/ATTACH]

Next job could be a challenge: I need to make up the tubular steel frame for the canvas cover from scratch.

I have not seen any of these original frames, so will have to work from a couple of contempory photos.

Hi John

Please find attached info & blurred pictures about your trailer, looking at the picture in my REME book which I will send it appears your canopy has 3 tubulars held together with 5 x strips of flat bar.

Also it contains a list of the major equipment for the trailer

Trl 2-Wheeled,Lightweight, Type Electrical Repair 001.jpg

Regards

Brucie

Thanks Brucie,

I am going to work from that photo and the two below:

Drawing with Frame from Rob - ex (Medium).jpg

I've scaled up the photo to calculate overall height of frame.

I reckon the tubes are 1" O/D. Tube wall thickness is unknown, but want it to be reasonably sturdy, so aiming for approx 2mm or 14swg.

Have been thinking about how best to bend the tube.

I think an electrical conduit bender will cope with 14 swg tube (if you lean on it!).

To hire a basic one for a weekend is about £30, so had been on lookout for a secondhand Hilmor Conduit Bender with 25mm former.

One came up on Ebay not far from here and I managed to win it for not much more the the cost of 2 days hire.

Never used one before, so could be interesting.

Steel all ordered from the metal store and has arrived; plan to tackle the frame over weekend between family and other DIY committments!

AB ERT 6b (Medium).jpg

Cover frame fabricated yesterday and finished today.

The Hilmor Conduit Bender was very easy to use and coped with 14 swg pipe.

I had never used one of these tools before, am pleased that the end result seems neat and accurate.

I know most would MIG weld this frame together but I only have an arc welding set; its been 20 years since I did a lot of welding and then it was always Manual Metal Arc, but a bit like "riding a bike" and after a couple of practice welds the frame all came together.

IMG_0283 (Medium).JPG

Once painted olive drab think it will look the part....another significant step towards completing the restoration.

IMG_0367 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0374 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0257 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0284 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0285 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0366 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

Fantastic work John.

Thanks Simon.

One of the factors that makes this trailer a more time consuming project is all the extra kit it carried.

Earlier on in this thread to recounted how I have managed to find the correct vintage Black & Decker Drill press. This was stowed in purpose made clamps when not in use.

My visit to Borden REME museum collection last November was most useful in that their trailer has the drill press fitted, and looks like this:

IMG_1673 (Medium).JPG

So another small job has been to fabricate similar clamps. Mainly just mild steel and BSW Bolts; but found a large vintage wing-nut to finish it off. It all in the little details!

I've also stripped and repainted the Ebay B&D press, and bolted the base onto the trailer deck.

IMG_0254 (Medium).JPG

So the main section of the press is clamped flat when travelling and then just stood in the cast iron base plate ready for the drill:

IMG_0373 (Medium).JPG

Another step forward.

IMG_0255 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0371 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0372 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1670 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1672 (Medium).JPG