British WWII REME Lightweight Electrical Repair Trailer: Restoration Project

cordenj

Hi all

On the discussion of water bowser's and electrical repair trailers, I thought I would post some pictures of my finds.

Unfortunately the farmer's had his moneys worth out of these two. It just goes to show parts can be found if you’re looking.

I have a few projects to get to before these.

Can anyone help with parts on the light weight water bowser? have the remains of one and need any parts, drawings, Pictures I can get to help with the restoration.

Many thanks

Richard

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

234.jpg

Hi all

Can anyone help with parts on the light weight water bowser? have the remains of one and need any parts, drawings, Pictures I can get to help with the restoration.

Many thanks

Richard

We have been accumulating a few parts prior to starting the work on a 10 GS trailer and will know very soon what parts will be duplicated.

Some of these parts are common to the lightweight family of trailers and if you let me know what chassis parts you need I may be able to help - nothing I'm afraid relevant to the water side of things though.

Have you got a copy of the parts list ?

David.

Hi John

As I'm new to the forum I hadn't picked up this thread till now. Richard spoke to me about your trailer at Combined Ops when he first located it, we discussed battery boxes etc being somewhat sad and T plates. I see you still have the T plate attached so you where lucky!! I recently purchased 10 T plates from a dealer I found at the Great Dorset Steam Fair, as you can imagine they have all been snapped up to finish restorations. The good news is I have one 6volt oak battery box of what I belive is the correct patten for your trailer, You have my home Phone No so give me a call os I'll see you at Godstone IMPS meeting in Febuary.

Regards

Robin Grainger

Hi Robin,

Welcome to HMVF. Would defintely like the battery box and have sent you a PM.

Am sure many on here would also like to see photos of your Binned Lightweight Trailer when you have a chance.

Cheers,

John

Edited by cordenj

Hi all

On the discussion of water bowser's and electrical repair trailers, I thought I would post some pictures of my finds.

Unfortunately the farmer's had his moneys worth out of these two. It just goes to show parts can be found if you’re looking.

I have a few projects to get to before these.

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

Welcome to HMVF.

I agree with you that there are still a number of Lightweight trailers out there, but also as you say the farmer has had his money's worth!

Have you seen the photos of my Lightweight Water Bowser on this other thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?20437-British-WWII-water-tank-trailers

The chassis in your photo is unusual.

It isn't a 10cwt Lighweight "No1 MkII trailer (the standard WWII "Airborne" trailer), as the springs have the recurved leaf ends.

Because it has welded horizontal sections fore and aft of the wheel, it looks to me that it could be from the either WWII Lightweight Machinery, Electrical Repair or Binned versions of the 10cwt trailers, but with the upper body cut/rusted off.

If you look at photos of the stripped Electrical repair chassis, hopefully you can see what I mean.

But defintely worth saving and restoring.

David mentions the Part List and that is a really good resource of info on these trailers.

Cheers,

John

Edited by cordenj

Two More Pieces for the Jigsaw:

1. I posted before in the thread about tracking down the original Black & Decker Type 20 drill press, and the continuing search for an appropriate 1940's B&D drill.

Ebay again has recently been the source...for 99p. Although it is a 240v model rather than a 110v DC, I think it still looks the part:

2. Possibly even more of a coincidence is finding that Robin (Artificer) had a correct size WWII dated battery box that he was happy to pass on to the restoration; he brought the box over today and it fits perfectly. Thanks Robin.

By any chance....does anyone have another box like this for sale? :

Jnc

IMG_4358 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4359 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4360 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4361 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4365 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4367 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4363 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4362 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

Two More Pieces for the Jigsaw:

1. I posted before in the thread about tracking down the original Black & Decker Type 20 drill press, and the continuing search for an appropriate 1940's B&D drill.

Ebay again has recently been the source...for 99p. Although it is a 240v model rather than a 110v DC, I think it still looks the part:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55957[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55958[/ATTACH]

2. Possibly even more of a coincidence is finding that Robin (Artificer) had a correct size WWII dated battery box that he was happy to pass on to the restoration; he brought the box over today and it fits perfectly. Thanks Robin.

By any chance....does anyone have another box like this for sale? :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55953[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55955[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55956[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55960[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55961[/ATTACH]

Jnc

Hi John

After visiting you today to deliver the battery box and discovering the lable on the grinding/buffing wheel box I made a few phone calls to ex 100 Regt RA LAD REME veterans. According to ex S/Sgt Derek Yates Tels Tech and ex Sgt Robin Cook Vech Elec the trailer was at Napier House Baring Road Grove Park from about 1969 to about 1974 then went to another unit on loan, possibly 289 Commando Bty RA and never came back. That was a bit before my time at 100 LAD, I wasn't posted to them untill 1984. They where both a bit gobsmacked to find a bit of kit from those days still existed, if it's OK with you I'll E-mail them a couple of photos!!

Regards

Robin

Hi John

...... I made a few phone calls to ex 100 Regt RA LAD REME veterans. According to ex S/Sgt Derek Yates Tels Tech and ex Sgt Robin Cook Vech Elec the trailer was at Napier House Baring Road Grove Park from about 1969 to about 1974 then went to another unit on loan, possibly 289 Commando Bty RA and never came back. That was a bit before my time at 100 LAD, I wasn't posted to them untill 1984. They where both a bit gobsmacked to find a bit of kit from those days still existed, if it's OK with you I'll E-mail them a couple of photos!!

Regards

Robin

Hi Robin,

Quite a co-incidence that you served with 100 LAD...as did this trailer!

Please pass on any photos you think they might be interested in and if there are any more they want to see, let me know.

It would be interesting to hear any accounts from them of where/how the trailer was used during their time.

Cheers,

John

Edited by cordenj

We have been accumulating a few parts prior to starting the work on a 10 GS trailer and will know very soon what parts will be duplicated.

Some of these parts are common to the lightweight family of trailers and if you let me know what chassis parts you need I may be able to help - nothing I'm afraid relevant to the water side of things though.

Have you got a copy of the parts list ?

David.

Hi David

Many thanks for the offer I'm short of a few parts. Shackle pins. Mine had obviously never seen grease and have just worn away. Towing arrangement for the front. The cast handles for the front and rear drop leg and anything else that might be of interest.

I'm in no rush. I have a house to gut renovate before I can start the trailer!

I think the parts list needs to be on my shopping list.

Hi Richard,

Welcome to HMVF.

I agree with you that there are still a number of Lightweight trailers out there, but also as you say the farmer has had his money's worth!

Have you seen the photos of my Lightweight Water Bowser on this other thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?20437-British-WWII-water-tank-trailers

The chassis in your photo is unusual.

It isn't a 10cwt Lighweight "No1 MkII trailer (the standard WWII "Airborne" trailer), as the springs have the recurved leaf ends.

Because it has welded horizontal sections fore and aft of the wheel, it looks to me that it could be from the either WWII Lightweight Machinery, Electrical Repair or Binned versions of the 10cwt trailers, but with the upper body cut/rusted off.

If you look at photos of the stripped Electrical repair chassis, hopefully you can see what I mean.

But defintely worth saving and restoring.

David mentions the Part List and that is a really good resource of info on these trailers.

Cheers,

John

Hi John

Thanks for the welcome.

No I hadn't seen your other thread. I have now; it’s fired up the inspiration! You've set the standard.

The water bowser is on the end of a long list of projects. I suppose because I’m missing so many bits. "Water tank" being the important part.

At least I know there is a parts catalog to help identify the bits im missing. And your complete trailer as a picture reference for a tank rebuild.

To the pictures I have tagged. After I had loaded the trailers onto the truck I popped round to the farm to thank the owner. He pointed me in the direction of a tree in the middle of a nettle patch and told me that I would find all the bits he had cut of the trailers when he had converted into water tanks. I found wheels, brake drums, rear tow hitches, wheel arches, and the remains of a steel frame work.

I have compared them to my binned trailer and it’s nothing like.

Its seems the floor on my two are split into to half’s, again the same as your electrical repairs. It also has the brackets for the hoops.

The question is missing so many bits are they worthy restoring?

Cheers Richard

Hi David

Many thanks for the offer I'm short of a few parts. Shackle pins. Mine had obviously never seen grease and have just worn away. Towing arrangement for the front. The cast handles for the front and rear drop leg and anything else that might be of interest.

I'm in no rush. I have a house to gut renovate before I can start the trailer!

I think the parts list needs to be on my shopping list.

I think we might be able to help with the pinch brackets and handles for the drop legs, we should have all the parts sorted out next week. If you care to drop me a PM, I should know soon. I've also got someone who does copies of the Parts Lists which I believe is the only publication relating to these trailers.

David.

Hi John

Thanks for the welcome.

"No I hadn't seen your other thread. I have now; it’s fired up the inspiration! You've set the standard.

The water bowser is on the end of a long list of projects. I suppose because I’m missing so many bits."

Evening Richard,

I have uploaded a new album on the site yesterday all of the Water Bowser rebuild, so again hope it will help/inspire. I know of someone else in UK who is looking for the galvanised tank to start a rebuild on a bowser chassis ... unless that is you have bought your one from "Nigel"?

".... a nettle patch and told me that I would find all the bits he had cut of the trailers when he had converted into water tanks. I found wheels, brake drums, rear tow hitches, wheel arches...."

You mentioned rear hitches .... are they the early or late type? Any spare rear hitches from your projects?

"Its seems the floor on my two are split into to half’s, again the same as your electrical repairs. It also has the brackets for the hoops."

It does sound like the base chassis from an Electrical Repair or Machinery Lightweight Traliers.

Very rare, and probably worth restoring.

If you do not want to, if you look further back up this thread you will see that HMVF member, Hand Prijs in the Netherlands, is planning to build one from scratch. He might be interested in using your trailer remains to give his build some originality.

Cheers,

John

Hi John

Thanks for the welcome.

"No I hadn't seen your other thread. I have now; it’s fired up the inspiration! You've set the standard.

The water bowser is on the end of a long list of projects. I suppose because I’m missing so many bits."

Evening Richard,

I have uploaded a new album on the site yesterday all of the Water Bowser rebuild, so again hope it will help/inspire. I know of someone else in UK who is looking for the galvanised tank to start a rebuild on a bowser chassis ... unless that is you have bought your one from "Nigel"?

".... a nettle patch and told me that I would find all the bits he had cut of the trailers when he had converted into water tanks. I found wheels, brake drums, rear tow hitches, wheel arches...."

You mentioned rear hitches .... are they the early or late type? Any spare rear hitches from your projects?

"Its seems the floor on my two are split into to half’s, again the same as your electrical repairs. It also has the brackets for the hoops."

It does sound like the base chassis from an Electrical Repair or Machinery Lightweight Traliers.

Very rare, and probably worth restoring.

If you do not want to, if you look further back up this thread you will see that HMVF member, Hand Prijs in the Netherlands, is planning to build one from scratch. He might be interested in using your trailer remains to give his build some originality.

Cheers,

John

John

Are you at Stoneleigh Sunday? I'm going to try and make it down.

The trailer looks the part. I am fairly confident that I can restore the water bowser. I think with the parts list and eBay things should turn up. If it’s not too cheeky Im hoping you will be able to get me dimensions I might be short of.

My thoughts are to make two tanks. Mini production run if you like. Is anybody else looking into restoring a water bowser?

On the hitches. Not sure the difference between early and late? If I’m honest I haven't really got any spare.

I will keep one machine shop trailer' Just for the collection. Hand prijs I have seen your mail. If I decided to get rid of one. Please PM me your details.

Are you at Stoneleigh Sunday? I'm going to try and make it down.

Evening Richard,

By complete chance I found two of those Lightweight Bowser tanks in a remote wood in West Sussex three years ago but within sight of a footpath. Just the tanks, the chassis have been used/sold scrapped.

I eventually tracked down the owner and made him a reasonable offer but to no avail.

That was 18 months ago.

If you are serious about having some made, but we should talk ..... instead I could try him with a new price..

Yes will be at Stoneleigh, but just for the morning. Aim to meet up with David B as well. I'll PM with my mobile number.

Cheers,

John

Edited by cordenj

• 3 weeks later...

Christmas, snow and a very busy Gritblaster has meant not too much progress over past few weeks.

In cleaning the trailer to remove masses of grease (which has been a great preservative)......

.........the pressure washer lifted layers of post-war paint to reveal what I am sure is the original colour.

Now, I am aware that there is still debate over what is the correct shade of green for British WWII vehicles in Northern Europe 44-45.

It was officially known as SCC No15 Olive Drab, and said to be "similar" to US Olive Drab, but all the versions I have seen seem to appear much greener (I would recommend Dick Taylor's book Warpaint Vol.2 for a very detailed and well illustrated account of British Army Vehicles colours and markings 1939-1945).

For several years I have used RR Motor Services version of British Olive Drab ( http://www.warpaint.co.uk/), in Eggshell finish. It seems to spray well and looks greener than US Olive Drab (as it should).

I've had some comments that my trailers finished in this way appear too green......which is where I get back to the original colour on this REME trailer.

Below are photos of an original painted panel (on left) and alongside a petrol can I'd finshed in the British Green I usually use. I know that digital camers can distort colours, but the panel was really bright green, you can also see a small patch of the post-war paint by the rust patch. Note also how carefully it was originally applied.....curtains of paint, not just a run.

Could the original colour have been effected by the later layers of paint?

What do you think?

I can imagine the comments if I matched the respray to that bright green!

I got the call from John at MJK Blasting that he could do the work over the weekend, so on Saturday morning took the stripped trailer behind the Jeep with the hood down to his workshop near Lingfield ....lovely crisp winter morning with -9C on the garden thermometer.

John has done a great job and primed the bare metal. I collected it later today.

Some photos:

Unfortunately two wheel nuts have disappeared in the process, so if anyone has two spare 10cwt wheel nuts, please make contact.

Thanks

IMG_4523 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4199 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4258 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4259 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4264 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4424 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4518 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4519 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4520 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4200 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj

• 2 weeks later...

Wheel Nuts:

Unfortunately, the previously promised spare nuts were wrong size, so the scrapped Lightweight trailer they had been taken from must have had later studs fitted.

So a simple job for the lathe.

I measured an original nut = 0.71" across flats. So for anyone who wishes to make spare Lightweight trailer nuts the 18mm (0.70") Hex bar is a good alternative. This equates to 3/8" Whitworth socket.

Original stud thread was 3/8 BSF and used 8.3mm drill to bore out bar for threading.

2 x new nuts and an original.

IMG_0029 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0003 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0005 (Medium).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Wheel Bearings and Brakes:

Sripping down the trailer really showed how well it had been greased..to such an extent that the brakes and drum were covered in it; the advantage being that all was very well protected and only needed to be cleaned/repainted before reassembly.

One worn part was the outer wheel bearings. These were Timken brand "made in England", and for anyone restoring a British lighweight 10 cwt trrailer the outer wheel bearings are part number: 09074/09196. Now made in Canada.

Again for future restorers of this type of trailer, here are some photos of the stripped and rebuilt brakes:

7.JPG

8.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Edited by cordenj

Respray time:

Good weather means ideal opportunity to undertake first part of respray of basic trailer frame and the seperate storage chest.

I use a handy tree, Jeep and pulley to upend trailers when spraying; has worked before and did again with this heavier version.

6.JPG

Refitted rod operated brake machanism and cleaned/repainted Andre Hartford dampers:

8.JPG

This shot is for Richard: to show underarch frame structure:

3.JPG

Refit the wooden decks, using BSW 1/4" Coach blts and square nuts:

7.JPG

Next stage is to refit the plywood double lidded central storage chest, and then a final spray of wooden decking.

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Simon: Front garden is ideal for this...although, my wife seems to think it is for plants!

I know what you mean. When I first came over to the US I couldn't believe that some houses had a 3 car garage. Now I've filled it with two jeeps and have the airborne trailer on the way. The Mrs isn't very impressed............

Hi Guys

I have been following this thread and thought that you may like to see my recent purchase. It was described to me as an ex WD water bowser, yes my ears also pricked up with the thought that i may be on to something here! As the pictures confirm yes it is a water bowser but not quite like the original 10cwt air portable type i had in mind. However on inspection this trailer does have some very interesting original fittings still in place, such as the convoy light and switch + trailer socket and plug still attached. It hasn't fared to well but all parts which have fallen off due to tin worm appear to have been thrown back under the bowser. The original chassis plate has long since gone but a plate confirming conversion by an agricultural engineer is still present. I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying its type, age and original equipment once carried.

Richard

DSC03278.jpg

DSC03282.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

DSC03287.jpg

DSC03283.jpg

DSC03288.jpg

DSC03284.jpg

Hi Richard,

That is quite a find. Seemed more likely to be used as a deisel bowser after conversion. You may have seen my Water Bowser photos elsewhere on the forum.

It is definitely a 10cwt trailer, of the seldom seen Machinery/Electrical Repair type.

The Machinery version had a lathe fitted across the back. From your photos I think your trailer is the Machinery type, but the rear frame may have been cut off to enable the round tank to fit.

It has an excellent range of the original fittings, fortunately the Boston coversion company didnt strip them off for scrap.

Are you going to restore it now?

Edited by cordenj