PGW 326 - Bedford Green Goddess

Duncan76

I think I did post a couple of early pics on my introductory post, however, now I have brought PGW 326 over here and had chance to take stock, I can pop some more pics up!

For more details - I do have a blog which you're welcome to have a look at to see how things do (or don't) progress; feel free to make any suggestions!

http://pgw326.blogspot.com/

Following a quick wash, the run across from the prvious owner was both fun and uneventful - getting to know how it all worked etc. A steady 40 mph seemed decent (considering she's done only about 30 miles in the last 4 years, none of which have been on road). The only fault which appeared on the 80 or so mile run across was that the battery doesn't charge which the helpful folk on RSOLES have suggested might be the cut-out relay on the dash, so a bit of work there.

Anyway - it's undercover now about 20 miles from home here in Oakham and the kit has been removed for safe-keeping, although there are a few items to get hold of still. I have just bought a ground monitor so that should be fun as and when the pump has been tried!

The list of jobs is not great as she's in decent condition really. The odd patch of rust here and there (including on the nose above the wings), the nose needs a t-cut and polish, the early signs of rust on the chassis could do with brushing off followed by some paint, the rear roof needs replacing as the lino has cracked and disintegrated (more lino or rubber or flooring??), the battery charging fault needs sorting and the cab needs a bloody good clean!! Oh, and straighten out the rear nearside light which I bashed reversing ionto a tractor tyre.... The mirrirs have already been done - thankfully. Spafax mirrors are excellent!

Most of that I can do myself, however, the brakes do need looking at badly as they stick on when stood even with the handbrake off. A contact has suggested CS Ellis near Oakham (who have a vintage fleet including a red Green Goddess) - which is handy - unless anyone else can suggest anywhere else in the Lincs / Rutland / Leics area?

Any ideas welcomed!

Cheers, Duncan.

PGW 326 1.jpg

PGW 326 2.jpg

PGW 326 3.jpg

PGW 326 7.jpg

Thanks guys!

Yes it is really, amazing how after 50-odd years in careful storage, so many have deteriorated so quickly since they were cast in 2005. Many fell apart whilst they were at Withams awaiting new owners. Key is keeping them undercover I guess, hence why mine's in a dutch barn at a caravan storage place. Not cheap but in the long run....

A few gremlins still to sort but that's mainly through lack of use! As you look around the small ads and eBay etc, you do see some grim examples. Mine was just mucky but my hunch was it was a good vehicle underneath. The previous owner seemed really genuine which was a good sign, he'd priced up the value of the registration but hadn't sold it because it was part of the history etc so whilst not an out and out enthusiast, he had a context. He just didn't have the time to spend and wanted her to go to a good home with some TLC.

There's more info and history on http://pgw326.blogspot.com/

Cheers, Duncan.

• 2 months later...

Well, a little bit of progress recently - I do keep the blog updated - http://pgw326.blogspot.com/ - but it's always useful to give a summary for those that graze here I guess!!

The charging fault has been solved I think / hope - I managed to get hold one of the solid state voltage regulators that were procured for the entire fleet in 1999 but never fitted and then sold off along with all the spares and vehicles! Mine was intended for PGW 206, but looks pretty good on mine all the same! I haven't started it up yet since there is far more of the mounting studs showing than with the old CAV unit so I need some metal sleeving to anable the nuts to be done up - I did order some via eBay but it was 1mm too narrow. Still, I have had the ignition powered up and light come on, so hopefully it'll all work and the dynamo won't have lost polarity etc.... Still, I now have a spare of those too!

Old CAV unit:

New solid state unit:

Power!!

I also played around with the lights - got the rear blue light fixed (new bulb and took it apart to get the worm drive for the reflector going) and then discovered that the original AFS flashing oranges at the front still work too!

I knew it was in pretty decent condition when I got it - it's been undercover since being sold at Withams - but I took off one of the rear hatch covers to see inside - looks and smells like new wood!

I also managed to get some new period flat blade wipers from Transwipers, which look the part:

The cab was also treated to a visit from the Dyson in Dec and given a wipe from top to bottom too!

Next job - other than the roof which I might strip and get someone to re-cover for me - is to clean / degrease the underside and repaint in something suitable:

At least it feel like progress - it's also off soon to a friendly local coach company who are going to check and re-furb the brakes as required.

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, finally got around to jet washing 326 yesterday afternoon - first time since I've owned her and quite probably for the first time in several years! The dirt fell away and has left quite a smart machine! So nice was the weather, added to the fact that the brakes weren't binding, I popped out for the first run in 4 months in the late afternoon spring sunshine. Roll on summer and a few shows!!

A few pics below...

I also have an 11.00 x 20 bargrip tyre and split rim available - currently advertised... http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?30049-11-00-x-20-Goodyear-bar-grip-tyre-amp-rim-Bedford-Green-Goddess-RL

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments! Yes, she is in pretty good condition mainly as the previous owners after Withams kept her undercover! She was filthy when I sdaw her advertised on eBay and when i went to look, but underneath the grime lurked a diamond despite the sky-high mileage!! (There are seemingly few GGs with mileages anything like 5,000!) I think quite a few people bought GGs on a whim as the prices dropped away and then just stored them outside, where of course they rot pretty quickly, especially as the rear roofs which are only covered in lino are notorious for cracking and letting in water and the cab roofs leak as the vinyl deteriorates. She'll look even nicer when the re-chromed Bedford badge is back on :-D.

Cheers, Duncan.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the kind comments! Yes, she is in pretty good condition mainly as the previous owners after Withams kept her undercover! She was filthy when I sdaw her advertised on eBay and when i went to look, but underneath the grime lurked a diamond despite the sky-high mileage!! (There are seemingly few GGs with mileages anything like 5,000!) I think quite a few people bought GGs on a whim as the prices dropped away and then just stored them outside, where of course they rot pretty quickly, especially as the rear roofs which are only covered in lino are notorious for cracking and letting in water and the cab roofs leak as the vinyl deteriorates. She'll look even nicer when the re-chromed Bedford badge is back on :-D.

Cheers, Duncan.

Hi Duncan hope you have many years and lots of mileage with your Green Goddess, it looks really good and sorting out the niggles all makes it more worthwhile. Its good too you got the original PGW plate as a lot of these were sold off for good prices and the Goddesses were unfortunately scrapped, what a waste. However yours has been saved and nice to see its getting refurbished. The Rsoles are also very helpful if you have any problems. Great to see your pics on this forum. Enjoy the shows I am sure you will manage quite a ew this year.

Ernest

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the refurbishment of PGW 326 continues apace. I decided in the end that there were a few jobs that really needed doing sooner rather than later, either for safety reasons or before any further deterioration happened, and that were beyond me in terms of tools, time or good old fashioned competence!!

So, I took it across to Fire Engine Services in Shropshire for them to have a look at: priority order was brakes - roof - running - re-paint of the front. Once it had arrived, they were as concerned as I was about the 'bucking' and bouncing in first and reverse gears, so they recommended checking the clutch before any damage was done to the rear diff or prop shafts. Sure enough, oil on the clutch, so that's been sorted. The brakes - good job they were checked! The front wheel cylinders were rusted and not operating, the rear n/s was leaking fluid onto the shoes and drum, meaning that the rear o/s was the only fully working brake! Still, all done now - cleaned, new front cylinders etc. The rear roof has been stripped and recovered - no rot present as I thought which was good news! Now, just for the repaint of the wings and cheek panels and a tweak of the mixture and timing.

As they checked it over, interesting that they commented that given the wear and tear on the body and lockers, they wondered whether it had been a training vehicle at some stage! This, or a deployment somewhere, might account for the near 1,800 miles it accrued between 1992 and 1996.

You can see the pictures of the progress on the Fire Engine Services Flickr stream.

Can't wait to get it back! Should be much better to drive and should look much better, too. Just got to t-cut and polish the rest of the body now :eek:.

Duncan. :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've got 326 back - and it looks amazing! The guys at Fire Engine Services have done a super job! It's like a new machine - cleanly pulling off from stand-still, not emitting massive clouds of smoke etc. Looks great too!

In the end, they rebuilt the brakes and changed the fluid, re-covered the rear roof, re-painted the nose (wings and cheek panels), changed the clutch, cleaned and sprayed the underside and had a fiddle with the timing and mixture.

Once that was done and I'd got it back home, I then set about polishing the new paintwork and t-cutting the rest of the bodywork before polishing. It took me 2 days but the results are decent I reckon. I used normal t-cut then a great polish from the USA Collinite No 476s Super Doublecoat. Goes on very easily with a damp cloth, polishes off with little hassle. Anyway, looks good - the shade has lightened (much closer now to the new paint) and the sheen is amazing! The polish says it lasts a year so......

IMG-20120506-00050.jpg

IMG-20120506-00037.jpg

IMG-20120506-00039.jpg

IMG-20120506-00040.jpg

IMG-20120506-00044.jpg

IMG-20120506-00048.jpg

Well, I've got 326 back - and it looks amazing! The guys at Fire Engine Services have done a super job! It's like a new machine - cleanly pulling off from stand-still, not emitting massive clouds of smoke etc. Looks great too!

In the end, they rebuilt the brakes and changed the fluid, re-covered the rear roof, re-painted the nose (wings and cheek panels), changed the clutch, cleaned and sprayed the underside and had a fiddle with the timing and mixture.

Once that was done and I'd got it back home, I then set about polishing the new paintwork and t-cutting the rest of the bodywork before polishing. It took me 2 days but the results are decent I reckon. I used normal t-cut then a great polish from the USA Collinite No 476s Super Doublecoat. Goes on very easily with a damp cloth, polishes off with little hassle. Anyway, looks good - the shade has lightened (much closer now to the new paint) and the sheen is amazing! The polish says it lasts a year so......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61599[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61600[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61601[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61602[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61603[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61604[/ATTACH]

What a lovely job ! She's a credit to you mate ! :-D

Very smart looking Goddess, just let down slightly by the rather grubby/rusty-looking wheels... Painting wheels is a boring and time-consuming job, but the end result is worth the effort... The icing on the cake, as it were....

When at shows, or in my case with my Saracen when doing weddings/proms etc, I even polish the tyres!.... Kiwi boot-polish gets that almost-new 'sheen' even on old tyres!

Very smart looking Goddess, just let down slightly by the rather grubby/rusty-looking wheels... Painting wheels is a boring and time-consuming job, but the end result is worth the effort... The icing on the cake, as it were....

When at shows, or in my case with my Saracen when doing weddings/proms etc, I even polish the tyres!.... Kiwi boot-polish gets that almost-new 'sheen' even on old tyres!

Just not had time really... The rears were dirty from leaking hub seals, the front offside is a different colour as it was the spare and had been sat on the roof for 5 years! The previous tyre was too badly cracked do it was swapped after the brake work a couple of weeks back. The priority always was safety first then cosmetic so it will get done at some stage.....! Besides, I need to get some DBG first! Any further cosmetic work has been put back since it developed a rough running / charge-light on situation on the way back, which I suspect might be a poor earth from the voltage regulator. Fine when cold but gets worse as it warms up! So, once that's cured, maybe...... :-)