British Army Iveco Trakker spotted in Canada

robin craig

Dear All,

Usually the movement of equipment to and from the British Army Training Unit Suffield (BATUS) is done by sea and rail.

The dead heads are loaded in Alberta where BATUS is located and sent usually east to the Port Of Montreal where the train is met by a ship that has been load at the Military Port of Marchwood in the UK.

The replacement vehicles are unloaded and used to haul off the dead heads going back to the UK for disposal or refurb.

Last week a mate of mine who is fairly switched on reported to me that he had seen a "Foden" of some variety being transported by low loader in Quebec. We were both curious about it as we both know the train is the usual means of transport as the distances are huge.

Today, locally, I did a double take and fast application of brakes when I spotted this on a low loader in a trucking yard.

After spinning around and going over and having a walk around I noted a few things.

The registration style is the old type 39 KM 74 yet the truck is brand spanking new.

The fitment of items such as wheel chocks and the convoy light assembly at the rear are very "Euro" or Germanic looking.

The shipping notes pasted on the window show it destined for BATUS and having been shipped on the MV Eddystone

I am fairly up on current British kit but this one escapes me.

Apologies but it is a cell phone picture

Any comments from anyone?

Robin

Brit truck rear.jpg

brit truck front.jpg

Dear All,

Usually the movement of equipment to and from the British Army Training Unit Suffield (BATUS) is done by sea and rail.

The dead heads are loaded in Alberta where BATUS is located and sent usually east to the Port Of Montreal where the train is met by a ship that has been load at the Military Port of Marchwood in the UK.

The replacement vehicles are unloaded and used to haul off the dead heads going back to the UK for disposal or refurb.

Last week a mate of mine who is fairly switched on reported to me that he had seen a "Foden" of some variety being transported by low loader in Quebec. We were both curious about it as we both know the train is the usual means of transport as the distances are huge.

Today, locally, I did a double take and fast application of brakes when I spotted this on a low loader in a trucking yard.

After spinning around and going over and having a walk around I noted a few things.

The registration style is the old type 39 KM 74 yet the truck is brand spanking new.

The fitment of items such as wheel chocks and the convoy light assembly at the rear are very "Euro" or Germanic looking.

The shipping notes pasted on the window show it destined for BATUS and having been shipped on the MV Eddystone

I am fairly up on current British kit but this one escapes me.

Apologies but it is a cell phone picture

Any comments from anyone?

Robin

Only big Iveco i have seen in Mod is the wrecker that follows nuclear convoys. having said that i didnt know british army had Volvos and Scanias until the 6*6s started appearing at sales. Could it be on extended trials

We have the civi spec of this which came into service with us about 5 1/2 years ago...

ours has the clutchless pedel gear box.... lovely bit of kit to drive...

one bad point here is that the mirror heads/arm cost around 1500euro due to them being electric and maybe local dealer ripping us off....

UN 877 test 006 c.jpg

Edited by FLUF
add photo

Hi when i read this post i read the headline and presumed it was an iveco trakker. Looking at it again i think it is a foden. I think it is one of the Alpha range that used the Iveco cab and were built at the leyland factory quite a few were built for the MOD mostly as tippers. I used to go to the Leyland factory taking and picking up ambulances for crash testing and got to see the facilitys were these were built. They were assembled on the same line as the Leyland Daf 45s A lot of these are currently up for disposal so they must be fairly old.

400.jpg

Edited by cosrec

Only big Iveco i have seen in Mod is the wrecker that follows nuclear convoys. having said that i didnt know british army had Volvos and Scanias until the 6*6s started appearing at sales. Could it be on extended trials

The IVECO in the pic is now the standard vehicle for the REs,

http://www.alcvehicles.com/index.php

and with them is a new green paint finish ??

TED

A web search shows it has quite a lifting capacity.

photo quite a long way down the page here:-

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2009/09/british-army-vehicles/

and the sister truck 39 KM 73 is shown way down the page here

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2011/07/the-future-of-the-british-army-09-wheels-a-sensible-solution/

and you will note how prominent the IVECO name is across the front.

Robin

Edited by robin craig

And a press release from 2009 with picture, second item down. Makes me feel a bit of a numpty for not having searched myself before posting!

http://www.armyrecognition.com/2009_mois_news_actualites/june_2009_worldwide_army_military_defence_industries_industry_exhibition_news_equipment_armoured_wor.html

and more here

http://www.easier.com/13079-new-iveco-s-delivered-to-alc-in-uk-s-largest-ever-trakker-deal.html

Robin

Edited by robin craig

The Iveco Trakker is used mainly by the RAF. There are two identical vehicles at RAF Lyneham with draw bar trailers that I saw when I was there a few weeks ago. The KM registration denotes that it's a Private Finance Initiative vehicle as far as I'm aware, a bit like the tank transporters that are owned by a private company. I presume the crane is at the back so that it can load and unload the draw bar trailer it comes with without the need to remove the trailer.

The Iveco Trakker is used mainly by the RAF. There are two identical vehicles at RAF Lyneham with draw bar trailers that I saw when I was there a few weeks ago. The KM registration denotes that it's a Private Finance Initiative vehicle as far as I'm aware, a bit like the tank transporters that are owned by a private company. I presume the crane is at the back so that it can load and unload the draw bar trailer it comes with without the need to remove the trailer.

Afraid not so. If you have a good look at the link I put up you will see the extent of this contract. The rear crane is for self load-unload of both the prime mover or anything under tow. . There are several here at RAF Leuchars but they belong to 71 Eng regt which is resident here they do not belong to the RAF. They are to be found on several RAF stations but they belong to lodger Army units. a Typical load of the prime movers with the rear crane are sections of matting, light plant etc.

TED

Thanks for the further link. There is a lot on this set up on the net. I have heard this afternoon that the contract is now possibly covering RAF units with a tac mobility role - so I need to rewind on my previous. Originally the contract was for RE and certain RLC items - it is possible that 2 MT, 5001 Sqn and the MAMS boys are being partly equipped by them- I will post if I glean any info next week. .

I am still trying to find out what the colour and finish is on this kit ??

TED

Thanks for the further link. There is a lot on this set up on the net. I have heard this afternoon that the contract is now possibly covering RAF units with a tac mobility role - so I need to rewind on my previous. Originally the contract was for RE and certain RLC items - it is possible that 2 MT, 5001 Sqn and the MAMS boys are being partly equipped by them- I will post if I glean any info next week. .

I am still trying to find out what the colour and finish is on this kit ??

TED

The two at RAF Lyneham are being driven by RAF MT Personnel as I saw them operate these trucks. They have the draw bar trailer and are the same green as the one in the link I posted.

• 3 weeks later...