British WW2 Trailer Electrical Connections. Plugs and sockets

We are gradually getting the bits and pieces together prior to starting work on our Trailer 2 Wheeled 10cwt GS and are now looking for several electrical items both to fit our trailer and to exchange with other trailer restorers for items which we need .

We are looking for one or more of the bayonet plugs illustrated above which connect the trailer harness to the towing vehicle.

Listed as "Adaptor,Lamp Plug" the preference is for the double contact version "10800 S.B.C" This is the same external appearance as the 10801 S.C.C illustrated next to the actual plug

Of brass construction the plug was fitted to the end of the trailer wiring harness and then plugged into the towing vehicle's "Trailer Connector WD/TC 1 "

Can anyone help with these items or suggest a source. Is it possible that there is a modern equivalent of these plugs which are approximately 1" long and 1/2" diameter and described as being of the American small bayonet cap - double contact type.

PICT2113.jpg

Edited by David B.

The " Trailer Connector WD/TC 1 " which looks like a bulb holder on either side of a teardrop shaped bracket was supplied new with one plug which fitted to the reverse side of the unit as a feed from the vehicle itself.

Although we have a used trailer connector which could be restored we would not be averse to buying any NOS connectors which also included plugs with them.

Evening David,

I think these are what you are looking for....hope the photos help with the search.

I have found and used silver/nickel metal coloured plugs and sockets, but I think the brass ones are of WWII vintage (see date on box).

John

Butler Plug - f (Small).jpg

Butler Plug - b (Small).jpg

Butler Plug - e (Small).jpg

Evening David,

I think these are what you are looking for....hope the photos help with the search.

I have found and used silver/nickel metal coloured plugs and sockets, but I think the brass ones are of WWII vintage (see date on box).

John

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53227[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53226[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53228[/ATTACH]

Thanks John,

The preference is for a small number of plugs on their own but I could also use one or two complete sockets if they are NOS like your pictured Trailer Connector WD/TC. 1. They normally seem to be supplied with one plug.

I have seen the NOS items boxed like yours and dated 1944 and would be very interested in the complete plug and socket or simply the individual plugs.

All suggestions or leads would be gratefully received.

David.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Modern equivalents of these plugs are available from Paul Beck Vintage Supplies. At the trailer end, it looks as if there is a similar connector to the one fitted to the jeep, (but not the same) fitted to the o/s frame of the trailer. This doesn't seem to require the plug as the jeep one does. Is there a source for the "innards" of these connectors?

I have just bought a 10cwt GS trailer - more rust and fresh air than metal but I want a project - does anybody know a source for brake rubbers,shackle pins and bushes and spring clips as a starter?

Thanks

sk

Ian - yes I did find the plugs as Simon suggests.

Simon - Thanks for the plug source. I've only ever found NOS sockets complete for the other end of the cable, never any bits for them.

Send me a pm if you like for trailer bits,we will have some stuff left over at the end.

David.

• 1 year later...
Has anyone got any diagrams of a wiring loom for the 10cwt trailers - there was no sign of any wiring/lights on my trailer yet the manual says that there should be certain items fitted.

Were lights included in the "as built" state - as the formal record shots I have don't seem to show any - just the T-plate. Although I have seen wartime pictures of the lightweight trailers with axle plate, "fag end" light and associated switch and junction box - were they actually fitted to the GS and Mortar trailers when first built?

Certainly seems as if my example was subsequently fitted with lights etc as it looks as if a "standard" size of flat rectangular metal panel (with neatly angled corners) with room for switch and junction box was bolted to the centre of the first cross member in from the back. To allow this, the centre one of those three brackets of indeterminate use had been roughly chopped off.

It also had one of the teardrop shaped connectors (but of the type with a bulb type connector at one end only and a hole/grommet for the wire at the other end) had been screwed to the RHS of the neck. This had been modified by bending through 90 degrees.

If subsequently fitted during wartime, am I right in thinking there would just be the one tail light on the O/S/R?

sk

on the airborne versions ,they were made with and without lights , the brackets for the switch and light are spot welded on , so this would not be an in the field job , because there are struts on the inside which prevent spot welding afterwards .

If the 10cwt trailers (mortar /GS, and lightweight) have a hole in the plate under the towing eye , then it was fitted with lights , 1 tail , and axle light.

on the airborne versions ,they were made with and without lights , the brackets for the switch and light are spot welded on , so this would not be an in the field job , because there are struts on the inside which prevent spot welding afterwards .

If the 10cwt trailers (mortar /GS, and lightweight) have a hole in the plate under the towing eye , then it was fitted with lights , 1 tail , and axle light.

My mortar trailer has no hole or any brackets, fixings, etc., therefore presumably no electrics were fitted. My lightweight GS has a hole, cable clips, brackets i.e. the full works for electrical fittings. John has suggested the three mystery brackets underneath the rear of the mortar trailer may be some sort of fixings for lighting but I doubt that as they are the wrong dimensions (compared to the lightweight) and in the wrong place.